What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule changes you'd like to see for next season

T-Boon

Coach
Could you explain what you mean by this? #scratching head#

I am a fan of having a system similar to NFL after a try is scored.
The try scoring team can convert as they do now (I say for 1 point) or they can go for another try for 3 points. To make that option more attainable make it a 7 on 7 (or 5 on 5).
Conversions are 1 on none and are boring and are only part of the game because of our rugby union roots.

T-Boon

Coach
Whilst I can understand the logic behind this, I actually think this would be a negative move. I like the idea of rules forcing players to make a decision on risk and reward. This would just mean players shooting out of the line on the last (and I doubt referees will enforce when they've left early).

Overall it would be a great rule change because anything that makes kicking on the last more risky is a positive move. Additionally they are a rare exciting, unpredictable thing to watch in the ordinary flow of the structured game. Currently it is not really worth trying a charge down.
RL mentality should be: if the team in possession is kicking it is be because they "were forced to kick" not because they "got to the kick". So make it harder.

Legion

Juniors
I am a fan of having a system similar to NFL after a try is scored.
The try scoring team can convert as they do now (I say for 1 point) or they can go for another try for 3 points. To make that option more attainable make it a 7 on 7 (or 5 on 5).
Conversions are 1 on none and are boring and are only part of the game because of our rugby union roots.
Yeah, nah.
As you say, the roots of our game are in rugby union, not gridiron.
It would make for fewer close games.

So you'd be ok with a field goal being the same as a conversion?
Why not simply raise a tries value to 5 points instead, considering your argument?

Springs09

Juniors
1. Enforce the damn rule book. No more taking the piss with wrestling and holding down for ten seconds and rushing up offside and deliberate penalties.

2. Deliberate foul play, including trips, is a send-off.

3. Allow either a longer hold-down or a player to flop on for a good low legs and/or 1-on-1 tackle. Get players back to being rewarded for proper technique instead of penalised.

4. No 7 tackle sets at all. If a team wants to kick it dead its no different from kicking it out. However, kicking dead on the full means a restart from where the ball is kicked (unless within 20m of the tryline), just like if a team kicks out on the full.

5. No golden point. Draw after 80 minutes or 10 minutes extra time no golden anything. Either one.

6. Scrums to pack in position (8-9-10, 11-12, 13) and ball to be fed in front of the front rower's legs. Differential penalties if not packed properly, none of this blow the whistle get up and pack it again shit.

7. Trainers only allowed on the field after points, during time off or for an injury. No Alfie Langer style coaching with trainers on the field every time a team has the ball.

8. Harsher punishments for abuse of the referees. Campaigns for better treatment of match officials and to tell the commentators and media to shut the f**k up about referee mistakes.

9. 1 ref with in-goal judges that can move up to the 30m line. Bunker allowed only for put-downs.

Oh sorry I mean
20/40
golden point NFL right of reply crap
Get rid of scrums we want an 80 minute version of 9s
Stop the clock so the game goes for 4 hours

Last edited:

LineBall

Juniors
Whilst I can understand the logic behind this, I actually think this would be a negative move. I like the idea of rules forcing players to make a decision on risk and reward. This would just mean players shooting out of the line on the last (and I doubt referees will enforce when they've left early).

I understand what you're saying. Changing rules often have unforeseen consequences. My argument is that as the rule stands, it seems to be a lot of risk for little reward.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
That the Roosters at least appear to be on the same salary cap as the rest of the comp...only side that can win a comp (or two) and still be looking to add to their roster rather than battling trying to retain players.

taste2taste

Juniors
1. Enforce the damn rule book. No more taking the piss with wrestling and holding down for ten seconds and rushing up offside and deliberate penalties.

2. Deliberate foul play, including trips, is a penalty.

3. Allow either a longer hold-down or a player to flop on for a good low legs and/or 1-on-1 tackle. Get players back to being rewarded for proper technique instead of penalised.

4. No 7 tackle sets at all. If a team wants to kick it dead its no different from kicking it out. However, kicking dead on the full means a restart from where the ball is kicked (unless within 20m of the tryline), just like if a team kicks out on the full.

5. No golden point. Draw after 80 minutes or 10 minutes extra time no golden anything. Either one.

6. Scrums to pack in position (8-9-10, 11-12, 13) and ball to be fed in front of the front rower's legs. Differential penalties if not packed properly, none of this blow the whistle get up and pack it again shit.

7. Trainers only allowed on the field after points, during time off or for an injury. No Alfie Langer style coaching with trainers on the field every time a team has the ball.

8. Harsher punishments for abuse of the referees. Campaigns for better treatment of match officials and to tell the commentators and media to shut the f**k up about referee mistakes.

9. 1 ref with in-goal judges that can move up to the 30m line. Bunker allowed only for put-downs.

Oh sorry I mean
20/40

Some great ideas there, I might be repeating a few of yours but..

They should be looking for any rules that encourage a more open and attacking style of play. Atm the game is all about putting the ball up the jumper and completing sets. The huge drop in TV ratings and crowds shows its pretty boring to watch.

1 The wrestle has stopped offloads and slowed the play the ball down to a snails pace. Would calling held sooner stop the 3rd and 4th tackler coming in ??? Less players in the tackle would result in more second phase play and quicker play the balls.

2 The overuse of the video ref drives everyone crazy, how about the bunker gets a 30 second clock to review a try and if its too hard to decide in 30 seconds they stay with the on field decision.....Or what about no bunker! and Captains Challenge. Only use the bunker if a decision is challenged. Like the NFL each team gets 2 challenges a half.

And a couple of small things that could make a big difference

3 Currently if a ball is dropped in any direction the refs call knock on. Very rarely do they call knock back. I'd like to see knock ons only called if the ball lands in front of the players feet. Bobbles that hit a defense player and are regathered and balls that land in line with or behind the players feet should be play on.

4 I like the Union advantage rule on penalties.... but only if the attacking team is deep in attack. How many times do we see the defensive team on the ropes intentionally give away a penalty so they can reset their line. In a case like this I'd like to see a Union style advantage played for 2 tackles and if they don't score come back for the penalty.

5 I like the Super League rule of a free play after a knock on. When the attacking team knocks on and its picked up by the defense they can throw the ball around knowing if they also make a mistake they'll still get the scrum feed.

6 There is no incentive to tackle around the legs, the attacker will either offload or get a quick play the ball. A good old fashioned tackle around the bootlaces should be rewarded with a dominate tackle allowing the defender to hold on a bit longer.

7 If a charge down is regathered by the kicking team it should still be the last tackle. Why does the kicking team get rewarded with 6 more tackles when their kick gets charged down.

Hawkins

Juniors
Only two refs on the field at a time. If Melbourne is playing at least one of the NRL refs has gotta be benched.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
After watching some old games recently I miss them being able to play the ball forward and going after being tackled. Especially after a long break.

it used to get messy when they tried to do it in the tryline but that can be fixed easily. You can’t do it inside the opposing 10m

Canard

Immortal

2. Deliberate foul play, including trips, is a penalty.

Oh sorry I mean
20/40

80min Nines??

Even T-Goon would laugh at that.

Knight76

Juniors
Enforce the salary cap like it's a real thing.

No trainers on the field unless player injured.

No 7 tackle set for kicks taken from within opponents 10m line.

One ref on the field. The other in a box advising, no other referee or other, in direct communication with the ref, except for video ref when called for. If the linesman feels there should be a penalty, he can raise his flag and run in at the end of a set like the good old days.

Stripping rule change back to one in tackle only.

Change the rule that if a player has one foot out, and one in, and touches the ball the ball is ruled out. Make this result in scrum with feed going to attacking team, or line drop out. This will force players to play the ball rather than make it dead. and reward good kicks that may otherwise have stopped prior to going out.

Legion

Juniors
3 Currently if a ball is dropped in any direction the refs call knock on. Very rarely do they call knock back. I'd like to see knock ons only called if the ball lands in front of the players feet. Bobbles that hit a defense player and are regathered and balls that land in line with or behind the players feet should be play on.

4 I like the Union advantage rule on penalties.... but only if the attacking team is deep in attack. How many times do we see the defensive team on the ropes intentionally give away a penalty so they can reset their line. In a case like this I'd like to see a Union style advantage played for 2 tackles and if they don't score come back for the penalty.

3. This pisses me off no end. I can remember when the refs only called knock-on if the ball went forward but I can't recall when it changed to any dropped ball.
It unnecessarily stops the game.

4. Yes but wouldn't one tackle be enough of an advantage?