What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Wittenberg

Juniors
When I read all the criticism of Dufty, and he frustrates the hell out of me, I remember he does have something other players don’t, speed and elusiveness. The bottom line is a simple equation, will he score or create more tries than he gives away? I used to watch Blacklock play. Flamboyant, exciting and fast BUT his defence was poor and under the high ball he was, to say the least, questionable. I think Dufty will always be a rocks and diamonds player. In some ways he has suffered from being seen as our new messiah for so long and we found out some realities. I think Sailor, and to a lesser degree, Ford will suffer from this next year. I think Dufty’ strength has been his weakness. Speed by itself works in lower tiers but doesn’t always work in the NRL. He needs to think quickly not just run quickly. I still think he is worth the bet......I have been scarred by memories of this Forum hounding out Prior and Beale and saying that these two players shouldn’t have been in first grade. Both left us and got to wear premiership rings. Dufty’s weaknesses are much the same as Barba’s and Bowen’s were in the first couple of years they played. His weaknesses are very similar to those of Field and Sailor. Will he turn out to be a Barba at some stage, or will he join Field and the countless other players who have rare gifts but simply don’t cut it? I think the first half of 2020 will give us the answer.

BLM01

First Grade
When I read all the criticism of Dufty, and he frustrates the hell out of me, I remember he does have something other players don’t, speed and elusiveness. The bottom line is a simple equation, will he score or create more tries than he gives away? I used to watch Blacklock play. Flamboyant, exciting and fast BUT his defence was poor and under the high ball he was, to say the least, questionable. I think Dufty will always be a rocks and diamonds player. In some ways he has suffered from being seen as our new messiah for so long and we found out some realities. I think Sailor, and to a lesser degree, Ford will suffer from this next year. I think Dufty’ strength has been his weakness. Speed by itself works in lower tiers but doesn’t always work in the NRL. He needs to think quickly not just run quickly. I still think he is worth the bet......I have been scarred by memories of this Forum hounding out Prior and Beale and saying that these two players shouldn’t have been in first grade. Both left us and got to wear premiership rings. Dufty’s weaknesses are much the same as Barba’s and Bowen’s were in the first couple of years they played. His weaknesses are very similar to those of Field and Sailor. Will he turn out to be a Barba at some stage, or will he join Field and the countless other players who have rare gifts but simply don’t cut it? I think the first half of 2020 will give us the answer.
I agree with all that except Beale did get a premiership ring at Cronulla but he was still afringe 1st grader at best. It did not take them long to discard him and he was in and out of 1st grade.
His best years as a good outside back were at the Broncos.
Field is not as good as Dufty IMO..Sailor maybe better as runs harder from fullback. Time will tell and I agree Dufty has to step up.
To be frank i thought just before he got dropped in the back haf of the year he was putting in towards his defence and started to show more confidence under high ball..then KAPOW...back to reggies you go?
Everyone was playing crap so why put Norman back there just to accommodate Widdop fro a few games
Never understood that dropping so late in the season but then again its Mary playing favourites and owing a player time in 1st grade to say goodbye. Widdop deserved that honour....but not at the expense of Dufty when we could not make the 8 anyway. It should of been someone else

possm

Coach
Dufty
Moving from fullback to five-eighth takes away the high ball problem, the rag-doll from kick returns problem and the one on one lonely defence a fullback faces.

At five-eighth, which was a position he played at junior football, Dufty would have his hands on the ball more often with more chances to cut through, step and pass and maybe even employ a short kick for himself.

T Sims could run protection for Dufty in the same successful way that Thompson did for Soward.

I would love to see the coaching staff try a Dufty/Hunt halves comination during the pre-season trials.

Dragon David

First Grade
Dufty
Moving from fullback to five-eighth takes away the high ball problem, the rag-doll from kick returns problem and the one on one lonely defence a fullback faces.

At five-eighth, which was a position he played at junior football, Dufty would have his hands on the ball more often with more chances to cut through, step and pass and maybe even employ a short kick for himself.

T Sims could run protection for Dufty in the same successful way that Thompson did for Soward.

I would love to see the coaching staff try a Dufty/Hunt halves comination during the pre-season trials.
Agree with you Possm that Dufty should be given a go at five-eighth. He might need to practice his kicking game. No harm in trialling him there alongside Hunt or Norman. We have a dilemma with full back and halves to choose from. Fullback possibilities are Dufty, Lomax, Norman and Sailor (put in alphabetical order not preference), Halves possibilities, Clune, Dufty, Field, Hunt, Norman, Sailor. So there are several combinations they can trial with these guys in these positions. Not really that long away to find out as the months are passing us by very quickly!

Wittenberg

Juniors
Dufty

Sorry possum although I actually agree with you, any chance of our coaching staff thinking outside the box is minimal.

Crush

Coach
Dufty

Does Dufty have much of a kicking game do you know?

Wittenberg

Juniors
I agree with all that except Beale did get a premiership ring at Cronulla but he was still afringe 1st grader at best. It did not take them long to discard him and he was in and out of 1st grade.
Field is not as good as Dufty IMO..Sailor maybe better as runs harder from fullback. Time will tell and I agree Dufty has to step up.
To be frank i thought just before he got dropped in the back haf of the year he was putting in towards his defence and started to show more confidence under high ball..then KAPOW...back to reggies you go?
Everyone was playing crap so why put Norman back there just to accommodate Widdop fro a few games
Never understood that dropping so late in the season but then again its Mary playing favourites and owing a player time in 1st grade to say goodbye. Widdop deserved that honour....but not at the expense of Dufty when we could not make the 8 anyway. It should of been someone else
A good assessment and probably accurate about Beale.

D4L_Dave

Juniors
I am now able post my reply after falling down laughing about Dufty being a 5/8. He has talent, played very well doing his thing, which is speed and some level of anticipation to support a forward or a half who made a break. If I was really honest, with the time he has been in FG, no doesnt even do that consistently enough. He has other strings to his bow, so to me he is a winger (bulk him up a little) at best but his deficiencies are way in excess of what he brings to the team especially core fullback skills such as tackling and catching opponents kicks, can't pass well, ball play, kick (not even seen him chip or grubber for himself.

Field, Sailor and Clune have real talent. They can competently defend, kick well, goal kick, ball play and do what Dufty does only better. If you don't believe me, ask other clubs supporters which one/s they would want if all where at their club. Not saying get rid of him, but if a choice between Sailor Clune Field and Dufty, see ya Matt. Keep all four, yeah with Mary out the way they would all thrive, it's just that having I'm fast as your only skill isn't gonna cut it for a successful first grade fullback not now not ever

TheQUOTE="BLM01, post: 13890533, member: 45923"]I agree with all that except Beale did get a premiership ring at Cronulla but he was still afringe 1st grader at best. It did not take them long to discard him and he was in and out of 1st grade.
Never understood that dropping so late in the season but then again its Mary playing favourites and owing a player time in 1st grade to say goodbye. Widdop deserved that honour....but not at the expense of Dufty when we could not make the 8 anyway. It should of been someone else[/QUOTE]

saintm

Juniors
I am now able post my reply after falling down laughing about Dufty being a 5/8. He has talent, played very well doing his thing, which is speed and some level of anticipation to support a forward or a half who made a break. If I was really honest, with the time he has been in FG, no doesnt even do that consistently enough. He has other strings to his bow, so to me he is a winger (bulk him up a little) at best but his deficiencies are way in excess of what he brings to the team especially core fullback skills such as tackling and catching opponents kicks, can't pass well, ball play, kick (not even seen him chip or grubber for himself.

Field, Sailor and Clune have real talent. They can competently defend, kick well, goal kick, ball play and do what Dufty does only better. If you don't believe me, ask other clubs supporters which one/s they would want if all where at their club. Not saying get rid of him, but if a choice between Sailor Clune Field and Dufty, see ya Matt. Keep all four, yeah with Mary out the way they would all thrive, it's just that having I'm fast as your only skill isn't gonna cut it for a successful first grade fullback not now not ever

TheQUOTE="BLM01, post: 13890533, member: 45923"]I agree with all that except Beale did get a premiership ring at Cronulla but he was still afringe 1st grader at best. It did not take them long to discard him and he was in and out of 1st grade.
[/QUOTE]
Another expert! Dufty can play 5/8 and did so from 13 - 17 when Hornby decided to pigeon hole in one position. When he was offered a contract at the Warriors it was as a utility to play all of the back line positions. Dufty can also kick but has not been ALLOWED to play his natural instinctive game which was how he played coming through the ranks ..... in other words playing what was in front of him. He has been turned into a robot the same as the next fullback will be under MARYS master coaching game plan.

BLM01

First Grade

[/QUOTE]
Field is gone so now we have 3 and Clune cant play fullback..so now we have 2 for the fullback position.
But if that goes to Sailor then Dufty can back up the halves as his brilliant attack is too good not to utilise IMO somewhere

Dufty to 5/8 gets a no for mine.

At least one half needs to be strategic and collected. Hunt is not. Dufty is not. Norman is.

In tight games Norman should be first reciever.

Gippsy

Bench
Well, I think we need to give Dufty another go at fullback, even if the only reason is we have very little alternative. Maybe Lomax, but I think he is better suited to the centres, and I don't think Sailor is going to cut it.

Still think Dufty would kill it under a good coach.

Bench
Our dick head coach needs to stick with Dufty at fullback and try to address his weakness and coach him accordingly
He did show that his taking of bombs was improved towards the end of the season
We know what an impact player he is and that should be reinforced in his training
Just watch Tedesco and see how he is such an attacking weapon. Dufty could get somewhere near that attack if he and the team utilised his speed
I thought 2019 was going to be our year, I don’t think 2020 will be our year.

Como Connection

First Grade
Our dick head coach needs to stick with Dufty at fullback and try to address his weakness and coach him accordingly
He did show that his taking of bombs was improved towards the end of the season
We know what an impact player he is and that should be reinforced in his training
Just watch Tedesco and see how he is such an attacking weapon. Dufty could get somewhere near that attack if he and the team utilised his speed
I thought 2019 was going to be our year, I don’t think 2020 will be our year.
Dufty for me has to have a fair go I say.
Unlike my favorite Kurt Mann.
CC

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Agree with you Possm that Dufty should be given a go at five-eighth. He might need to practice his kicking game. No harm in trialling him there alongside Hunt or Norman. We have a dilemma with full back and halves to choose from. Fullback possibilities are Dufty, Lomax, Norman and Sailor (put in alphabetical order not preference), Halves possibilities, Clune, Dufty, Field, Hunt, Norman, Sailor. So there are several combinations they can trial with these guys in these positions. Not really that long away to find out as the months are passing us by very quickly!
If we are going to try Dufty at 5/8 then I think it should be in reserve grade. When I think about it, I think we are very well stocked in 5/8s and future 5/8's. I think Norman should be halfback and Hunt 5/8. I think Hunt's best position is either 5/8 or hooker. I think Sailor's best position is 5/8. We also have the likes of Sullivan and Wishart coming through our juniors who are both rated very highly. I think Dufy's only chance is to make it as fullback. I think he will be 25 next year. He still may be our best option at fullback next year, with the others being Lomax or Sailor.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Dufty to 5/8 gets a no for mine.

At least one half needs to be strategic and collected. Hunt is not. Dufty is not. Norman is.

In tight games Norman should be first reciever.
Norman should be wearing the number 7 on his back and given the authority to run the team. He should be the one controlling the game. I was never a fan of Norman until I saw him playing halfback for Parra a few years ago. To me Norman is either halfback or nothing.

SnowDragon

Juniors
We all have our own theories... but so much is unclear atm

surely we have to look at a number of combinations off season, and based on this make some choices.

I’d have Sailor at fullback based on his efforts at the end of the year, but if Dufty has a good offseason he may force his way in. I think the guys has talent, but needs to develop. Size isn’t his friend, but it’s not a dealbreaker (I’d prefer he had Tedesco’s body shape and skills, but such is life). Lomas needs to be in the side, could be center of fullback (just not on the wing).

funnily, the only back line lock-in I have is Saab on the wing. I’d like to see Rav get some time in the centres, otherwise him or Pierera (or Pierson if he builds his game) on the other wing seems the best option (I’m a big Jordan fan, love the effort, even if he isn’t world class... definitely a value player).

Latest posts