What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Tiger5150

Bench
Valheru has answered that one. It could very well be a square peg into a round hole. Does a club just fork out a million a season to find that out?

Absolutely stupid.

The other issue is his fitness to play fullback.

Again, a lot needs to change for that to succeed.

But to say he'd simply go back to centre on overs does not address the huge issues you will have.

Marquee money and inconsistency when a team is not winning will be a huge issue.

And as you state, he is only 22.

Worked for Souffs with Inglis and as much as I'd like to avoid the comparison, its completely valid. At Melbourne Inglis was tried at 1, 3 & 6 with varying success. If we are blunt he was best at 3. He did not finish his time at Melbourne at 1.

He was bought by Souffs and thrown in at fullback. He was used as a marquee draw and they added Asotasi. From there they were able to build a team. Inglis was persisted with at 1 for a few seasons before being moved back to 3, pretty much because he was getting old and his body couldnt handle fullback anymore. This ultimately led to a premiership.

I wonder who the coach was that managed all of this?

Spot On

Coach
Worked for Souffs with Inglis and as much as I'd like to avoid the comparison, its completely valid. At Melbourne Inglis was tried at 1, 3 & 6 with varying success. If we are blunt he was best at 3. He did not finish his time at Melbourne at 1.

He was bought by Souffs and thrown in at fullback. He was used as a marquee draw and they added Asotasi. From there they were able to build a team. Inglis was persisted with at 1 for a few seasons before being moved back to 3, pretty much because he was getting old and his body couldnt handle fullback anymore. This ultimately led to a premiership.

If you believe in the comparison between the two then it is valid.

I certainly don't.

Tiger5150

Bench

Fair enough..........

My opinion is that Mitchell has the potential to be better than Inglis, but when we are talking about the Tigers, thats pretty much close enough.

<edit> stop editing so I can respond to you properly!

As I say, my point is that IMO he has the potential to be at that level and based on what Madge did with Inglis at Souffs, even though there are many potential pitfalls, it is not a fantasy scenario.

Spot On

Coach
Fair enough..........

My opinion is that Mitchell has the potential to be better than Inglis, but when we are talking about the Tigers, thats pretty much close enough.

All good.

But... I can't remember GI being dropped for QLD for not having a go.

He was an absolute beast when playing for QLD.

Mitchell was again critisised by Johns and Fitler for a lack of effort after the Test v Tonga. I can't disagree with them.

I'll agree with you should Mitchell ever dominate rep footy like GI did.

He has a chance now that QLD are on the wane with what can only be described as an absolute putrid backline.

No excuses.

He just has to be picked in front of either the Canberra 5/8 or the Manly fullback for a centre spot cause he sure as shit aint going to get Teddy's jersey!

Last edited:

Tiger5150

Bench
All good.

But... I can't remember GI being dropped for QLD for not having a go.

He was an absolute beast when playing for QLD.

Mitchell was again critisised by Johns and Fitler for a lack of effort after the Test v Tonga. I can't disagree with them.

I'll agree with you should Mitchell ever dominate rep footy like GI did.

Thats all fair enough. The kid is still a kid at 22. I want him at the Tigers but to be honest I just hope that this all works out for him.

If the Tigers ended up getting him, I couldnt give a rats what he did for NSW, as long as he put in for his club.

For mine GI had one hot year for Souffs and after that never really maintained that form or his potential, but still smashed it for QLD, That would PISS ME OFF as aclub supporter.

Id be very happy if LM played well for the Tigers and didnt get picked for NSW.

Spot On

Coach
If the Tigers ended up getting him, I couldnt give a rats what he did for NSW, as long as he put in for his club.

At a million a season he must be your best nearly every week.

That is a given.

Tommy Smith

Referee
roosters got nothing close to the best out of him and he is still the best centre in the game. The talent he brings in on another level but he rarely plays to his potential. His talent with somewhere close to a James Graham or Cronk level of effort would make a future immortal.
... which should terrify other potential suitors.

If the b2b Premiers,
who have an incredible club culture,
with a great coach/master man manager,
the NSW & Australian captain,
and Cooper Cronk as a leader,
if THAT sort of set up can't get the best out of Latrell Mitchell then how on earth will he go at a struggling club with an inferior culture and a leadership vacuum?

The Dogs saw this and the Tigers should be very cautious, too.

Mr Spock!

Referee

Asotasi came over before Inglis.

Along with kidwell and croker.

Inglis was tried at centre first but wasn't very effective. He was put back to fullback to get more hands on the ball.

Fullback was easily his best position at Souths.

See the 2014 final series where he carved teams up from the back and his defence was amazing.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Thats all fair enough. The kid is still a kid at 22. I want him at the Tigers but to be honest I just hope that this all works out for him.

For mine GI had one hot year for Souffs and after that never really maintained that form or his potential, but still smashed it for QLD, That would PISS ME OFF as aclub supporter.

Inglis's problems were with injuries.

2014 was probably his only injury free year.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Of course signing Latrell would come with a huge amount of risk and if it happens I’d be equal parts excited and wary. However if you think a club that’s missed the finals the last 8 years and had a total of 4 NSW players in their existence (all 4 were local juniours) shouldn’t sign Latrell Mitchell if given the chance then you’re clearly an idiot

betcats

Referee
Of course signing Latrell would come with a huge amount of risk and if it happens I’d be equal parts excited and wary. However if you think a club that’s missed the finals the last 8 years and had a total of 4 NSW players in their existence (all 4 were local juniours) shouldn’t sign Latrell Mitchell if given the chance then you’re clearly an idiot

Signing Mitchel won’t get you another nsw player.

Canard

Immortal
It's amazing how the media, has dropped any pretense of bias and wanting an even comp in this case.

They don't give a f**k about player development and welfare, make no mistake, any player or coach, regardless of contract will be turfed out on their arse the moment they are seen as not performing.

BadnMean

Juniors
I dont dount that he is naturally a centre and as a Roosters fan, you would have seen a lot more of him at 1. But he was 19 in 2016. He is still only 22. At a club like Roosters with the talent available, then you have the luxury of slotting him at centre.

At the Tigers, or most other clubs he may end up at (if not back at Roosters) to get value for that money he will be fullback and speaking for the Tigers, he would be streets ahead of the next best option at no.1 (although I love Corey Thompsons effort).

There has been a lot of negativity about the guy lately, a lot from Tigers fans, that he "doesnt get involved enough". Well slot him at Fulback and he can get his hands on the ball each set.

ITs a long way from risk free, but the kid is 22 and has a MASSIVE ceiling at 1, 3 or even 5. If he fires at 1, you get your money's worth. If not, you will still get one of the worlds best centres at an inflated price.

Its an opportunity to good to pass up for the Tigers and I really hope we get him.

Totally left field question, long term do you think he has any potential for the worlds biggest no 6?

Jack Wighton works at 6, with a similar skill set- huge long kick, strong running game, jarring defence. Jack is more a 100mph effort player though- he leads every kick chase & line speed & wants to be up smashing 2nd rowers all day. He's not asked to do organising beyond know when to kick.

Latrell could be a good #6- just don't expect him to be an orchestrating half & let him run, handle the clearing kicks (Hodgo & Sezer do medium range & most short for raiders) & make room for his wide men occasionally on the strength of defenders having to fully commit to his running threat.

Jack makes it work with his athleticism (thats a tick for Mitchell too) and his balls out effort (will he do that?).

He’s a definitely a risk worth taking but hope for the club’s sake, you don’t pay him the seven figures he’s after. You might be able to get him for under that with fullback being the carrot?

super_coach

First Grade
contract values thrown around in the media are usually highly inflated. Okay to get a quality player to the Tigers is always going to cost overs, but I doubt they are paying anymore than a million and maybe a tad less.
Its a risk but frankly a risk the Tigers need to take. For the past few years with a team of battlers they have come 9th, a class player would have got them into the finals.

Mitchell has attitude and thats a quality the Tigers need. Anyway if he signs it will be interesting how he tells with Madge, players either love him or hate him

Latest posts