What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Vic Mackey

Referee
Are the NRL manipulating the player market?

How long till Souths find out if they can get Mitchell with the Burgess money. It’s taking way too long

It took them 3 months to let Wests know about Matulino, why do you think it should be any different for Souths?

nick87

Coach
I'm a big Latrell fan and would like him to stay but it was discussed amongst Roosters fan circles, forums like this and even the media that for the Roosters to keep key players we'd have to lose players.

In my mind I'd rather lose Latrell over Manu and I'd rather lose Tetevano over JWH. Nobody wants to see those players go but unfortunately it's a reality of the game. Wherever Latrell goes they'll have a gun centre/fullback/5/8 and the Panthers have already confirmed a great pick up in Zane Tetevano.

As you said, the Roosters will figure it out. Billy Smith made his debut last year at centre and was strong.If he's not ready we already know that Aubusson can fill in there until Smith or someone else is ready.

Even without Cronk, Latrell and Tetevano the 2020 Roosters side is a gun side that very well could go deep into the comp and potentially win it for the third time. Tedesco, Tupou, Manu, Keary, JWH, Friend, SST, Cordner, Crichton, Aubusson, Liu are all still on our books.

Yeah i dont disagree with any of that. I think the way the Roosters are handling this is exactly why they're so successful.
I just think it says a lot about how things have gone that Roosters fans are basically ready to drive him to the airport.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Were you referring to me ?
If so I had explained the reason I did so , and secondly you agreed at the time , and thirdly I have no objection to anyone posting on the WT's but when it just becomes meaningless crap that ends up ruining threads I will moderate . I even do that to our own fans when shit goes astray.[/QUOTE

Deleted.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
I think if we go over 800 on LM then we set ourselves up to lose Keary or Tedesco later.
Well
800 is less than what he can get elsewhere.
To be honest I don’t blame him for wanting as much as these dudes on more money.
He is way better than a few on more money.

As a player I don’t even think he has peaked yet.

AJB1102

First Grade
No way he's as integral as Tedesco who doesn't sook off home every now and then. Million dollar players are leaders - front and center, good times or bad. Lead by example on and off field.

Latrell is riding the back end of an inflated market. It boomed with Hunt getting a reported $1.2M, Moylan $900+, Taylor $1M ... its ridiculous but I think its tapering off.Or it should be.

Spot On

Coach
No way he's as integral as Tedesco who doesn't sook off home every now and then. Million dollar players are leaders - front and center, good times or bad. Lead by example on and off field.

Latrell is riding the back end of an inflated market. It boomed with Hunt getting a reported $1.2M, Moylan $900+, Taylor $1M ... its ridiculous but I think its tapering off.Or it should be.

Exactly.

Money paid for those players was the first wave of stupidity associated with the cap increase to 9+ million.

When outside backs see what some players have somehow jagged to stand on the wing, then others want their share.

Galeforce

Bench

NRL players earn peanuts compared to most American professional sport players and to European pro football players. Even Aussie woman football player Sam Kerr is earning close to $1m a year.And Semi Radrada not coming back to NRL cause he can earn closer to $2m per year playing union in Europe.

NRL is trying its best to hold down the market price.....however all it does will force best athletes over time to pro football , pro union and crack at American sports.If NRL wants to stay competitive in world sports it will need to release the cap ceiling and trade out un economic teams for major capital teams.

i.e. we need team in Perth , Adelaide and other in Brisbane and perhaps Melbourne.Whereever there are rich corporate backers and opportunities to grow a fan base who are willing to pay membership and attend games and watch on TV which attracts sponsorship.Poorer teams need to be dropping back to NSW and QLD cups and become feeder clubs who help with development .

Tiger5150

Bench
NRL players earn peanuts compared to most American professional sport players and to European pro football players. Even Aussie woman football player Sam Kerr is earning close to $1m a year.And Semi Radrada not coming back to NRL cause he can earn closer to $2m per year playing union in Europe.

I wonder why? Could it have anything to do with the fact that NRL as a whole earns peanuts compared to most overseas professional sports? In 2017 Manchester United on its own earned more than AU$1.1B. In the same year the NRL earned AU$500M. Pretty simple economics.

NRL is trying its best to hold down the market price......

NRL is trying its best to stay alive in the market. Salary Caps are indexed to NRL earnings. The more the NRL makes, the more the players get. Its not a conspiracy.

You can talk all you like about expansion, or what a NRL player is worth compared to a soccer or NFL player, but whilst you have the faces of our game clubbing people in Bali, you cant expect growth outside of its bogan heartland.

It is what it is.

adamkungl

Immortal
Exactly.

Money paid for those players was the first wave of stupidity associated with the cap increase to 9+ million.

When outside backs see what some players have somehow jagged to stand on the wing, then others want their share.

It would be interesting to analyse those signings in hindsight.
What was the state of their roster, who else was on the market, and who have they lost as a result of those big signings.

Obviously they were signed with the hope that they would be the most important players on the Dragons/Titans roster, players you could build a club around.

But how realistic were those hopes? Ben Hunt? Really?

carcharias

Immortal
Or we couldn’t have resigned Jared and possibly Friend/SST whom we’re still negotiating with.

those blokes are at the arse end of their career
JWH has become a bit of a liability
Tripping blokes etc getting suspended...he is replaceable.

LM
2016 14 tries 24 games
2017 15- 23
2018 17 - 24 *
2019 19 - 25 *
*= premiership.
Plus kicks goals at around 76% and can kick field goals
Those stats are a million dollar player.

Tedesco is a freak and I’d pay him a mil as well
But his stats for the last 2 years At the roosters are no comparison to LM
Tries = 27 - no goals - no fg = 108
LM = 36 tries -188 goals - 1 fg = 521

He is worth approx 11 points per game.
My team is lucky to score 11 per game.
We’ll take him.
I’ll drive him to training.

Spot On

Coach
No Luke Keary or Roosters attacking structures to support Latrell's point scoring at other clubs.

No Keary = Missing Mitchell and a million dollar mistake.

Galeforce

Bench
It took them 3 months to let Wests know about Matulino, why do you think it should be any different for Souths?

these are the type of bogan comments come to expect from you.

Firstly

Ben matulino did not officially retire until Oct 31 2019, check is wikipedia dope.

"in the 2019 NRL season, Matulino made 13 appearances for the Wests Tigers as the club finished 9th on the table. On 31 October, Matulino announced his retirement from rugby league.[46]"

There could be no official NRL investigation/decision until he officially retired.

Secondly

Sam Burgess officially retired on October 30 2019. day before Ben M.

Third

Ben Maulino was signed by Tigers in 2017 for three years starting 2018. He missed first half of 2017 with a knee injury , he retired with a knee injury.Ben had incentive to switch from Warriors to Tigers cause of $$/contract period.

Fourth

Sam was signed for 4 years Sept 2018. If Souths had any knowledge that his should would shorten his career , they would not have extended his deal. That assumes as NRL CEO has stated that Souths are running a business and not a charity to footballers.

betcats

Referee

Latest posts