What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Lebbo73

Bench
If you’re Latrell and you see that pleb getting a million what else would you think?

Latrell has barely missed a game in 4 years
Won 2 comps
I think 2nd top try scorer this year.
He probably has better stats than Inglis in his prime.
No one is going to pay it. Million dollar contracts are reserved for the out and out match winners. Week in week out. Latrell scores tries and kicks goals but he doesn’t lead the team around the park.

Tiger5150

Bench
if Valentine Holmes is getting a million a year
If Ben Hunt Hunt is getting a million a year
If whoever else is getting a million a year then his manager is useless if he doesn’t at try for the same.
Latrell is an absolute match winner.
He actually has the runs on the board to ask that price too.

To the majority of clubs (the also rans), Mitchell is definitely worth $1Mpa. I thought he would make the difference with the Tigers and was happy for the club to spend that on him. To the top teams, he is probably worth what Roosters were reportedly offering him.

What he is worth and what clubs have available are two different things though. There may not be many teams that have that sort of cap space available.

carcharias

Immortal
To the majority of clubs (the also rans), Mitchell is definitely worth $1Mpa. I thought he would make the difference with the Tigers and was happy for the club to spend that on him. To the top teams, he is probably worth what Roosters were reportedly offering him.

What he is worth and what clubs have available are two different things though. There may not be many teams that have that sort of cap space available.

yeah but people in here are calling him a merkin for asking that price
He of all players is well within his own right to
AFAIAC.

yobbo84

First Grade
So consolidating rumours everywhere, if you want to believe them:
  • Latrell tells Roosters he wants to test the market
  • Latrell and Souths have verbal agreement to join club
  • Roosters get wind of this, pull their extension to Latrell, tell him he'll play for Norths if he signs for Souths
  • Latrell's team want more money than Souths have offered, so go speak to Tigers et al
  • Cowboys use the situation to force Holmes' hand
  • Souths feel like they're being played for more cash, pull their offer
  • Tigers realise they were used, pull their offer
So he either goes to the Titans, or the more likely scenario, re-signs for Roosters on a reduced contract.

I hope his team doesn't play poker.

Vic Mackey

Referee
  • Roosters get wind of this, pull their extension to Latrell, tell him he'll play for Norths if he signs for Souths
  • Latrell's team want more money than Souths have offered, so go speak to Tigers et al
So he either goes to the Titans, or the more likely scenario, re-signs for Roosters on a reduced contract.

Tigers insiders are claiming he agreed to join the club Over the weekend however then pretty much stopped returning calls, then had another person claiming to be his manager say he wanted more money.

Part of the problem seems to be that he has multiple sources claiming to be representing him.

Even though I don’t feel he ever seriously wanted to join my club and has taken us for a ride I do feel sorry for him. He seems to be a good kid who’s being lead astray by people who only have their interests at heart.

I genuinely hope he gets a good deal and is happy with where he goes, even though it won’t be with the Tigers.

elyod138

Bench

Cowboys are rumoured to be trying to offload Granville to be able to offer a deal to Latrell.

Tiger5150

Bench

I havent seen anything from Souffs officially pulling an offer? IMO thats where he ends up

adamkungl

Immortal
yeah but people in here are calling him a merkin for asking that price
He of all players is well within his own right to
AFAIAC.

No, people are calling him a merkin for not taking it when offered.
He's burned through 4 large offers now - who's left?

As someone else said - shit or get off the pot.

Galeforce

Bench
I’m not as upto date with the Sam/Souths facts so won’t try and rebute then however considering how wrong you’ve got the Tigers ones I’m not exactly trusting them

Firstly

It was announced Matulino had retired to the public on 31st of October. It was reported in the media as early as late July that the Tigers had put forward the papers for medical retirement and confirmed by the club in August.

Third

He missed 7 games in 2017, I realize you’re a Souffs fan so maths isn’t your finest suit however 7 is hardly ‘half a season.’ He then played 52 of the next possible 53 games before injuring the other knee.

Anyways my post was purely in reference to the multitude of souths fans screaming that the NRL has some sort of vendetta against them for not giving them Sams medical retirement already after 3 weeks, when the precedent in time frame is approx 3 months. Not as to whether or not he deserves it.

I had a quick check on youtube and from what I see , Tigers did not complete submission to NRL for medical retirement until late September 2019. Agree he injured his knee late July 2019 . You imply that Tigers submitted their requests from the time of his injury which was 3 months .

Also Ben did not officially retire until NRL approved his medical retirement. How come? was he planning to stay on if the the NRL did not approve?

Sam announced his retirement October 30 , regardless of what NRL approves or not.

you can make plenty of assumptions as to why Sam /Souths did not wait and why Ben/Tigers waited for official NRL approval . Once assumption may be , that Sam was totally done and that perhaps Ben could play on after surgery , however his form was not worth the salary cap implications.

YES so do not need your Ben example to justify how long it should take to approve Sam's case.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
No, people are calling him a merkin for not taking it when offered.
He's burned through 4 large offers now - who's left?

As someone else said - shit or get off the pot.

how many and what are the figures?
I recall reading a report the roosters pulled 800k.... which IMO is a bit low for him .

he is a 900k player at the very least and has earned it.
He would probably take that to stay at the roosters???

Fairfax

Juniors
He will end up in Redfern if the Burgess cash comes through. Funny how they already got a dispensation for Inglis and now hopefully Burgess. All clubs need to avail themselves of that luxury and the NRL should follow the precedent.

Latest posts