What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

strider

Post Whore
Here is Dr Peter Brukner, former sports doctor for the Australian cricket team and a convert to LCHF. At about 13 minutes in he talks about Usman Khawaja and how he went on a LCHF diet and managed to get off his arthritis medication for his knee, lose weight and train better. And become one of the top batsmen in the world. Because the benefits of low carb are not just weight loss but reduced inflammation. Other players also adopted the diet. The best bit though is at about 26 minutes when he says that wine has anti inflammatory properties. Looking better and better.

https://vernerwheelock.com/163-low-carb-helps-aussie-cricketers-to-improve-performance/

Im not gonna say anything is 100% proof ... but the main reason i went low carbs is cos my knees are rooted. Ive had MRIs on both now and they are fairly badly degenerated. I had got pretty overweight and thought, lose some, less knee pressure. Had got to a stage where i was quite reliant on anti-inflammatories, just to relieve pain for daily 20 min walk to/from work. Alot of it was just me getting old and lazy, entirely my fault.

So went low carbs mainly to lose weight ... ive lost about 12 kgs but still would say im about 5-10kg overweight. ... but the daily knee pain is massively better. No more anti-inflammos ... less weight obviously a factor but i reckon different foods are a real factor too. Less bread, pasta, etc and more berries and green stuff and fats.

Gronk

Staff member
Im not gonna say anything is 100% proof ... but the main reason i went low carbs is cos my knees are rooted. Ive had MRIs on both now and they are fairly badly degenerated. I had got pretty overweight and thought, lose some, less knee pressure. Had got to a stage where i was quite reliant on anti-inflammatories, just to relieve pain for daily 20 min walk to/from work. Alot of it was just me getting old and lazy, entirely my fault.

So went low carbs mainly to lose weight ... ive lost about 12 kgs but still would say im about 5-10kg overweight. ... but the daily knee pain is massively better. No more anti-inflammos ... less weight obviously a factor but i reckon different foods are a real factor too. Less bread, pasta, etc and more berries and green stuff and fats.

Good time for me to put this here (as I eat my bacon and eggs no toast).

Bacon, butter and steak fat - Parramatta Eels' key to success
Michael Chammas
February 19, 2016

Well, at least that is what the Parramatta Eels are hoping as they test new waters in their quest to return to the top of rugby league.

Eels prop Tim Mannah has been on a strict paleo diet which has led to his skinfolds dropping from just over 80 to 69, sticking by the dietary requirements handed down by Parramatta physical performance manager Paul Devlin.

"His theory on diet is completely different to all the education we have received growing up in footy," Mannah said. "It's starting to get a lot more popular now. It's a lot more of a high-fat diet, low carb, low sugar. Things like bacon and eggs, the fat off the steak, butter - things that we thought were bad for us - we're getting encouraged to eat that.

"It suits me to a tee. He is all about using organic products as well. I am finding real benefits from it."

Traditionally players had been encouraged to load up on carbs before matches, advice Mannah used throughout his whole career. But since following Devlin's advice he insists there has been a notable difference in his output on game day.

"Even in terms of preparing for a game you used to get encouraged to carb load and eat your bowls of pasta," Mannah said. "I used to eat loads of pasta, toast and everything in the lead-up to a game. We're getting taught now that is the wrong thing to do. Eating a steak the night before and eating an omelette in the morning - it is funny how we have been taught one thing your whole career thinking that is right. I started doing it last year and I felt better last year. I feel even better now."

The Eels also have their own chef who prepares meals for the players, making it a lot easier to consume the right foods. "The whole idea is they are trying to encourage you to eat the way you did 100 years ago," Mannah said.

It is about the way your body is designed to eat. All the stuff out of packets, your body wasn't designed to eat that."

The Eels now boast a star-studded roster, but they also believe they have the physical capacity to take advantage of the talent at their disposal after a gruelling pre-season campaign.

While most players tend to talk up the toughness of pre-season each year, Mannah insists the Eels have lifted the intensity and saw the statistics to prove it.

"I saw the computer data only last week and that confirmed what I felt," Mannah said. "It's definitely been a higher load, which is what they planned from a couple of years ago. They always planned to build to this year. It's been an intense summer but I think we will reap the benefits of it when the season starts. Brad and his head trainer Paul Devlin - they couldn't just come in the first year and go from where we were to where we are now. Our body's probably wouldn't have been able to handle it. It's been a progression. The way we have trained has been really solid."

His dietary change in combination with an increased training workload comes at a good time for Mannah, who is likely to have to play 60-plus minutes each game this year given the interchange has dropped from 10 to eight.

I think most starting front-rowers will have to, which is something I am fine with and excited about," he said.

"I think the way the game is going you're going to have to play bigger minutes. I have changed my body shape a bit. I have remained the same weight but I have changed my diet, I have lost a lot of the fat I have carried over the years. I am hoping that will help me in terms of getting more minutes out."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ba...atta-eels-key-to-success-20160219-gmye2h.html

T.S Quint

Coach
Looks like I’m stuck here in Narooma for the time being. Princes Highway closed both north and south due to fires. None of them are all that close to us just yet but we are keeping a very close eye on them.

We’ve had some thunder and lightning and the power to the house has just gone out.
Fun times.

Cheers, mate. That's great news. Inflammation was never even in my mind when I started looking at this stuff but it looks like it's a very big problem.

strider

Post Whore
Looks like I’m stuck here in Narooma for the time being. Princes Highway closed both north and south due to fires. None of them are all that close to us just yet but we are keeping a very close eye on them.

We’ve had some thunder and lightning and the power to the house has just gone out.
Fun times.
don't do anything @hindy111 wouldn't do

So, I know nothing about dieting etc...but I do think I've got a bit too much weight on me (I'm 105kg when I should probably be 95kg).

Here's what I eat - feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

I only eat fruit and nuts throughout the day - bananas for breakfast, maybe a peach or pear at lunch, and I might snack on nuts throughout the day (different types of nuts - it just depends on what IGA has on special!)

Then, for dinner, I pretty much cook my own food - no fast food (or rarely, anyways), no prepackaged stuff...this week, for example, I have been having burgers that I made myself - mince, herbs, vegetables, an egg to mix - topped with a fried egg and cheese (tasty cheese from a block) on a hamburger bun (using margarine).

And most of my dinners are like that - roasts with vegetables from my own garden, maybe some marinated chicken breast...a soup that I cook myself...

Probably the one thing that will get me is I am quite partial to a port and ginger ale of an evening.

I pretty much figured that (apart from the drink at night) I don't take in any crap sugar.

Yet, here I am, stuck above 100kg.

Yes, I do deskwork, so that doesn't help. And, no, I don't really exercise. I might go for a walk here and there, blah blah blah, but I don't make sure I run or go to the gym or whatever.

So, is it the case that my diet isn't that bad but I'm just a lazy bum so I'm destined to stay above 100kg unless I get off my fat arse and exercise?

strider

Post Whore
So, I know nothing about dieting etc...but I do think I've got a bit too much weight on me (I'm 105kg when I should probably be 95kg).

I only eat fruit and nuts throughout the day - bananas for breakfast, maybe a peach or pear at lunch, and I might snack on nuts throughout the day (different types of nuts - it just depends on what IGA has on special!)

Then, for dinner, I pretty much cook my own food - no fast food (or rarely, anyways), no prepackaged stuff...this week, for example, I have been having burgers that I made myself - mince, herbs, vegetables, an egg to mix - topped with a fried egg and cheese (tasty cheese from a block) on a hamburger bun (using margarine).

And most of my dinners are like that - roasts with vegetables from my own garden, maybe some marinated chicken breast...a soup that I cook myself...

Probably the one thing that will get me is I am quite partial to a port and ginger ale of an evening.

I pretty much figured that (apart from the drink at night) I don't take in any crap sugar.

Yes, I do deskwork, so that doesn't help. And, no, I don't really exercise. I might go for a walk here and there, blah blah blah, but I don't make sure I run or go to the gym or whatever.

So, is it the case that my diet isn't that bad but I'm just a lazy bum so I'm destined to stay above 100kg unless I get off my fat arse and exercise?
don't eat too much fruit - from what I've read, berries are better fruit .... and the ginger ale would be full of sugar

try things - see what works .... like cut out nearly all bread/pasta/rice/cereal for a month .... you aren't heaps overweight - so it won't just fall off quickly

Bazal

Post Whore

Probably a bit of lack of exercise, a bit of refining the diet.

Using the burger example, yes a homemade burger is still usually healthier than a takeaway shop, but it can still be quite fatty depending on the quality of the mince, and high in empty carbs depending on the bun.

Portion size is also a big one that I found I was struggling with. I like to eat but even when I was eating healthy I was eating too much.

Best to tinker and see what works. Most people don't need a massive complete overhaul

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Cut your hair and have a shave. That alone will probably get back below 100kg.