What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

TheDalek079

Bench
He'd be the Australian fullback regardless of who he played for. Bait rating 4/10

Lol. That cannot be said with any certainty. It was entirely plausible that Valentine Holmes could have been the Aussie fullback or even GI. We lifted Teddy from a good player with potential into a kangaroo, Dally M medal winner and back to back premier

adamkungl

Immortal
Mitchell going to Bennett's Souffs is oddly appropriate as Bennett's steadily eroding standards have become more and more obvious. He is too much of a man manager and not enough of a coach these days, right up Latrell's alley.

Can't wait to see LM on the Bennett-approved Milford/Bird McDiet. Waterloo maccas about to start raking in the big bucks.

Exsilium

First Grade
Yeah nah, we signed Teddy when he was an Italian representative. Through our great systems overseen by Lord Robbo, we were able to develop him into the kangaroos fullback. To say that we bought him as part of the Aussie spine is incorrect. You could say that we bought somebody who would go on to become part of the Aussie spine though.

He was also coming off the back of notable injuries which could have adversely affected his greatest assets, his speed and footwork.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Lol. That cannot be said with any certainty. It was entirely plausible that Valentine Holmes could have been the Aussie fullback or even GI. We lifted Teddy from a good player with potential into a kangaroo, Dally M medal winner and back to back premier
He was a gun at the tigers, to suggest otherwise means you simply didn't pay attention. Surrounded by the better players and coaching at East's, of course he improved.

bull rider

Juniors
It might be weak, but it’s also correct.
Ok I would like to amend my previous statement to they were already a good team and bought the Australian half back and nsw fullback, who in fairness, was probably in better form than the Australian fullback. Makes a real difference to what my message was implying.

SBD82

Coach
Ok I would like to amend my previous statement to they were already a good team and bought the Australian half back and nsw fullback, who in fairness, was probably in better form than the Australian fullback. Makes a real difference to what my message was implying.
I don’t know if everyone remembers, but his early form at the Roosters was far from great. While his obvious skill set was there, his work with his teammates was very clunky.

Robinson persevered. And I think that he added several layers to Teddy’s game that needed development.

Teddy always had the talent and commitment, but when he arrived at the Roosters he was not the finished product that we’ve seen for the past season and a half.

Would he have made the same progress at the Tigers? We’ll never know.

bull rider

Juniors
I don’t know if everyone remembers, but his early form at the Roosters was far from great. While his obvious skill set was there, his work with his teammates was very clunky.

Robinson persevered. And I think that he added several layers to Teddy’s game that needed development.

Teddy always had the talent and commitment, but when he arrived at the Roosters he was not the finished product that we’ve seen for the past season and a half.

Would he have made the same progress at the Tigers? We’ll never know.

He won the RLPA players player of the year in 2017. He was an out and out gun before he arrived at easts.

bull rider

Juniors
He was.

Does that mean that anything that I’ve said is untrue?

No but people trying to undersell how good he was is disingenuous.

Easts added the two best players in their positions in arguably the two most important positions and have gone on to win two premierships. It's a blatant example of buying a premiership (or two).

SBD82

Coach
No but people trying to undersell how good he was is disingenuous.

Easts added the two best players in their positions in arguably the two most important positions and have gone on to win two premierships. It's a blatant example of buying a premiership (or two).
I’d be more inclined to agree with you if they were continually buying players from other teams. In my opinion it’s a bit different having a good roster that you’ve mostly developed internally, and then buying players to fill gaps in the roster.

Lols... Easts fans trying to undersell how good Teddy was before he got there and also accusing other teams of trying to buy a comp.

Easts bought the best Fullback and Halfback in the competition and won two comps off the back of it.

In the process, they ran two local juniors out of town to fit these guys in.

Getting rid of Latrell took longer than getting rid of Pearce because they managed to convince Latrell that he could play centre and be happy with less money but this only lasted a few years. Now that he's trying to switch back to his preferred position and earn what he's actually worth in the process, Easts fans make him out to be some kind of monster.

They tried the same thing with Pearce and playing hooker for less cash but he wouldn't buy it.

adamkungl

Immortal

2018 was one of the clunkiest premierships of all time I reckon.
I think, in hindsight, this was more down to fitting a number of new and usually-dominant personalities into a new structure, rather than ability.
It didn't all really click until finals time. I'll admit, late in the season I was still frustrated with the Cronk-Tedesco plan. Tedesco had to adjust to life as just a part of a new attack, rather than having the entire gameplan revolve around giving him the ball and hoping for the best.

He's yet to really dominate for the Kangaroos yet, too. 2 losses from 4 starts. But that'll happen when the Roos play just twice a year

I’d be more inclined to agree with you if they were continually buying players from other teams. In my opinion it’s a bit different having a good roster that you’ve mostly developed internally, and then buying players to fill gaps in the roster.

Purely vague observation, i haven't run the numbers, I think Roosters would be one of the least active clubs in the player market for the last decade. We take a big scalp or two every few years but don't have significant roster turnover annually. Would be interesting to see the numbers.

redVinme

Bench
So on trell. Anyone shed some light on whether the nrl can actually approve a contract so far under perceived market value?

Apart from the argument it's souths so they will

Vic Mackey

Referee

Thats a very simplistic way to look at it. If you believe channel 9 teddy was a hack before he got to the roosters who have single handedly turned him into the player he is today.Sshort memories must be had because if you look back at his 2016 season in particular I struggle to him doing anything on the field today he wasn't doing back then. The only difference is he is now passing to Latrell, manu etc instead of Jordan rankin and kev naquima.

Going to the Roosters doesn't make you automatically a better player. I don't think theres any doubt RTS is a better player then he was at the Tri Colours, same as Ryan Matterson went from being a bench player to 18th man for NSW.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Can't wait to see LM on the Bennett-approved Milford/Bird McDiet. Waterloo maccas about to start raking in the big bucks.

Latrell under Bennett will be an interesting watch. Wayne is known for giving a huge amount of latitude to his players, probably the most of any coach around today. It works great for some players, but others like Milford and Bird just get fat and lazy when they have limited accountability. I mean look at Inglis, he'd spent his entire career under noted hard task masters Bellamy and Maguire and became one of the best players in the game, 6 months under Bennett he's fat, unmotivated and not wanting to play anymore.

Latrells options for his next coach couldn't be further apart, he appears to be taking the option of the one who will give him a free reign. Maybe it will be the best option for him, time will tell.

jack coburn

Juniors
So on trell. Anyone shed some light on whether the nrl can actually approve a contract so far under perceived market value?

Apart from the argument it's souths so they will
Of course it’s Souths so Toddy will do as Wayne ,Russell and James say. Just like Inglis and burgess injures jobs for the boys. Remember pride of the league , no scabs no comp , when the scabs going well league going well . We all know the drill by now so we all should just accept the fact they’re treated differently to all other clubs.

Latest posts