What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Josh Reynolds DV accusation (charges dropped 26/2/20)

nick87

Coach
Well I am glad you are one person that can control your emotions in check always but in the real world it doesn’t happen like that.

I know in my workplace I am forever dealing with a certain manager lashing out at staff when she is working on a major project. She is a lovely woman 95% of the time.
Yeah... im not the one person, im one of VERY, VERY many. I'm an adult who understands i am responsible for my actions and reactions. Like most in fact. Vast majority in fact. And the real world is CHOC full of people like me who arent responding like Josh Reynolds has.

But like @Frailty there is nothing more to be gained by this discussion, we're at an impasse. So good luck to you. I am acutely aware of the "real world". This aint it. And shame on anyone who is trying rationalise it. They do a disservice to themselves and those around them.They help contribute to the cylconic nature of DV.

I cant help you beyond that and that's me checking out on this. I dont need to argue against this any longer, You clearly dont understand the scope of DV

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah... im not the one person, im one of VERY, VERY many. I'm an adult who understands i am responsible for my actions and reactions. Like most in fact. Vast majority in fact. And the real world is CHOC full of people like me who arent responding like Josh Reynolds has.

But like @Frailty there is nothing more to be gained by this discussion, we're at an impasse. So good luck to you. I am acutely aware of the "real world". This aint it. And shame on anyone who is trying rationalise it. They do a disservice to themselves and those around them.They help contribute to the cylconic nature of DV.

I cant help you beyond that and that's me checking out on this. I dont need to argue against this any longer, You clearly dont understand the scope of DV

The police have the tape. If it classes as DV then I guess charges will follow. Though if so I expect the courts to be full of similar cases next time a couple has a heated argument

lynx000

Juniors
Nasty words aren't violence. Hurt feelings isn't an injury. You are an idiot.

With respect, I know you are wrong, feel free to admit it when common sense descends upon you. Just a tip, I have been working as a lawyer for 26 years including acting for clients in the domestic violence area. If there has been a pattern of that type behaviour in their relationship, it is domestic violence.

Section 8(1) of the Domestic and Family Violence Protection Act 2012 (Qld):

8 Meaning of domestic violence

(1)Domestic violence means behaviour by a person (the first person) towards another person (the second person) with whom the first person is in a relevant relationship that—
(a) is physically or sexually abusive; or
(b) is emotionally or psychologically abusive; or
(c) is economically abusive; or
(d) is threatening; or
(e) is coercive; or
(f) in any other way controls or dominates the second person and causes the second person to fear for the second person’s safety or wellbeing or that of someone else.

What is verbal abuse?
Verbal abuse is a key feature of emotionally abusive relationships. The perpetrator consistently makes statements that negatively label a person. This has a serious impact on the self-esteem and confidence of the person experiencing the verbal abuse.

Signs of verbal abuse
Verbal abuse includes angry yelling but it also includes cold statements designed to humiliate a person. Verbal abuse includes:
  • name-calling
  • continuous criticism, swearing and humiliation in public or in private
  • attacks on someone’s intelligence, body or parenting
  • yelling.
    Source: https://www.whiteribbon.org.au/understand-domestic-violence/types-of-abuse/verbal-abuse/

Psychological abuse
    • Psychological abuse is sometimes called psychological violence, emotional abuse, or mental abuse
    • It involves someone saying or doing things to make you feel bad
    • Psychological abuse can be a type of domestic and family violence
    What is psychological abuse?
    Psychological abuse is behaviour that aims to cause emotional or mental harm. It may not hurt your body, but can be just as painful and distressing in other ways.

No one behaves perfectly in their relationships all the time. However, when someone deliberately hurts you over and over again it becomes abusive. Behaviour from others that aims to make you feel scared or bad about yourself is not OK.

Psychological abuse can include someone regularly:
    • Embarrassing you in public or in front of family, friends, support workers or people you work with
    • Calling you names
    • Threatening to harm you, your pets, children, or other people who are important to you
    • Treating you badly because of things you can’t change — for example, your religion, race, past, disability, gender, sexuality, or family
    • Ignoring you or pretending you aren’t there
    • Doing and saying things that make you feel confused. This might include someone moving or changing things and then denying they have done this.
    • Always correcting what you say with the aim of making you look or feel foolish
    There may be a pattern to the behaviour that happens again and again. Sometimes other types of abuse are going on at the same time. If this kind of abuse is being used to scare and control you it may be domestic or family violence.

Source: https://www.1800respect.org.au/violence-and-abuse/psychological-abuse/

You may be in an emotionally/verbally abusive relationship if you partner exerts control through:
    • Calling you names, insulting you or continually criticizing you
    • Threatening to hurt you, the children, your family or your pets
    • Damaging your property when they’re angry (throwing objects, punching walls, kicking doors, etc.)
    • Humiliating you in any way
    Source: National Domestic Violence Hotline - https://www.thehotline.org/is-this-abuse/abuse-defined/

Qld Government website on domestice violence
    Domestic and family violence can include:
    • emotional abuse (e.g. criticising your personality, how you look or your parenting skills)
    • verbal abuse (e.g. yelling, shouting and swearing at you)
    Source: https://www.qld.gov.au/community/ge...c-violence/about-domestic-and-family-violence
NSW Government website on domestic violence:

Types of abuse in domestic and family violence

Domestic and family violence includes different types of abuse. A person doesn’t need to experience all of these types of abuse for it to be a crime under the law. The abuse can include:
  • verbal abuse
https://www.facs.nsw.gov.au/domestic-violence/about/types-of-abuse-in-dv

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
It is DV any day of the week ending in Y..

Nasty words aren't violence. Hurt feelings isn't an injury. You are an idiot.
Qld definition from the D&FVPA. I imagine the definition in NSW is similar.

(1)Domestic violence means behaviour by a person (the first person) towards another person (the second person) with whom the first person is in a relevant relationship that—(a)is physically or sexually abusive; or (b) is emotionally or psychologically abusive; or(c)is economically abusive; or(d)is threatening; or(e)is coercive; or (f) in any other way controls or dominates the second person and causes the second person to fear for the second person’s safety or wellbeing or that of someone else.

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/act-2012-005#sec.8

It is DV..

franklin2323

Immortal

(1)Domestic violence means behaviour by a person (the first person) towards another person (the second person) with whom the first person is in a relevant relationship that—(a)is physically or sexually abusive; or (b) is emotionally or psychologically abusive; or(c)is economically abusive; or(d)is threatening; or(e)is coercive; or (f) in any other way controls or dominates the second person and causes the second person to fear for the second person’s safety or wellbeing or that of someone else.

It is DV..

Well then.. the court case should be straight forward

T-Boon

Coach

It is DV..

That’s the family court definition of DV not the criminal courts. Imagine if the criminal courts adopted that definition as a crime. Haha.

lynx000

Juniors
That’s the family court definition of DV not the criminal courts. Imagine if the criminal courts adopted that definition as a crime. Haha.
No, that is the definition from the Act that deals with DV in Qld, it is what governs DV applications and what the Magistrates refer to.

Vic Mackey

Referee
This was pretty normal to me when growing up. My parents yelled and screamed at each other quite often, but it never once escalated to physical violence. Same observation with my neighbours on both sides and across the road. The woman across the road mainly screamed at her husband and threw things at him though, didn't hear much in response from him.

I think this is kinda like getting belted by your parents. Pretty common for that to happen back in the 80s and before, but frowned upon now.

Well according to half of the people on this thread your parents are shit people.

T-Boon

Coach
No, that is the definition from the Act that deals with DV in Qld, it is what governs DV applications and what the Magistrates refer to.

You mean AVO’s?
You can really get an AVO for being “financial controlling”? Sorry the term is “economically abusive” hahaha. What a joke.

Vee

First Grade
What lynx said. Nothing to do with the Family Court.

Vee

First Grade
You mean AVO’s?
You can really get an AVO for being “financial controlling”? Sorry the term is “economically abusive” hahaha. What a joke.
DVO is the Qld equivalent of an AVO in NSW. Main difference is the parties must be in or have been in a "relevant (family/intimate personal/informal care etc) relationship", you can't get a DVO against someone if your relationship with them doesn't satisfy this criteria.

nick87

Coach
Ever spoken to anyone like that? Anyone at any time in your life?

What about a physical fight with another guy? Ever thrown a punch before?
Ever? Sure. When i was a kid and late teens and still growing up and learning about these things and learning how to manage my anger and emotions.

Im 32, i was 17 last time i was involved in the behaviour your describing, but Josh Reynolds is 30 years old, this isnt some kid trying to figure this thing out.

He is old enough to 100% know that behaviour is unacceptable and if he's unable to control himself from reacting in such a manner at age 30, he needs to take measures, be it through anger management or counseling or what have you to help him manage that problem.

You mean AVO’s?

Do some googlng, educate yourself on the level of control and abuse that can cpme with economic DV.

Or dont, and maybe just hope your sisters/daughters/neices etc are just lucky enough to never end up trapped in a relationship with your perspective on DV.

Last edited: