What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs The Dragons

tonks

Juniors
can we all just agree on how f**king annoying it was when fox kept switching to that dragons family?

Would you have said it was annoying if it was Panthers crowdless home game and they showed a family of Panthers fans? :p

And on another note. I'm also baffled why they took the 2 at the end there. To me it seemed even Cleary snr was calling for it.

He makes things happen when he comes on but will he make them happen for 80. Ivan's problem.

We just lack pace. It needs to be fixed somehow.

Ideally Naden would shift to the wing, but Mansour has done some good things. And with Naden in the centres you almost have to keep Whare on the opposite side of the field. Not sure we can play 2 rookie centres.

Tough one.

snickers007

Juniors
It was a shit win, but it was a win.
At least one negative for every positive, and for every standout player we carried another dud.

Couple of notes from me:
- Both Aekins and Crichton struggled with positioning tonight, with bad reads leading to tries. Crichton has the X factor we need in the backs though.

- Mansour picked up another try assist, and carried the ball strong (as usual) but was caught out defensively at least 3 times.

- Luai was too quiet (again) for mine. When he did get involved he looks dangerous, especially playing straight on the back of a quick play the ball. Couple of his legs tackles lead to very quick play the balls (and a try). As a team we need to make sure that someone is over the top on those tackles to slow things down.

- Martin is definitely trying too hard. Made another bad handling error, and gave up a stupid penalty trying to put it over Frizell

- Burns looked a bit out of his depth, but granted we were on the back foot for most of the time he was on.

- That first 20 mins was dynamite. With a bit of luck it could have been 24 - 0. I like Fisher Harris passing at the line despite that forward pass. And Yeo was also unlucky with that intercept.

- Edwards and Hetherington will be straight back into our 17 when available. I think Cleary needs to have a really hard think about our best back 5. For me Crichton has to be there, and I like his freedom in attack at Fullback. Maybe Edwards to the Wing for Mansour. But Whare has to pick up his game too.

Big test next week against Melbourne.

OldPanther

Coach
I'll post my thought which double from the ratings thread.

Kikau lacked game time so contemplated lower score but judged on quality over quantity. Fish, Yeo and Tetevano played well I thought in the middle. Crichton needs to start because Aekins is just so average, not bad not good just is. Luai needs to support Cleary a little more even if only a little but kicked well when he did.

Martin had an absolute shocker. Multiple drops and a penalty.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I think Penrith Panthers need to pay for my angina medication.

Get the tackle bags out next week please Ivan

Martin had a poor game.

Nathan Cleary has arrived big time.

A win however ugly is still a win.

2 in the bank.

Flashstep

Juniors
Hopefully Edwards comes back next week, think we should put Chrichton into the centres for Whare because his lack of speed is killing him.

martielang

Bench
Entertaining game. We are that dumb though, luckily so are the Dragons.

Wouldn’t be changing our starting team unless Edwards is back. I know there’s a massive push for Crichton at the back but he was badly out of position for the Norman try. Aekins still hasn’t done anything to be dropped, thought he looked sharp with the ball tonight as well.

I’m so mixed on Martin. I get why people rate him cos he has some real quality in him then a minute later he looks like a RM Cup player. I think I prefer him in the middle or give Cartwright a run, I’m sure he’ll force his way back somewhere.

I rate Fui & was good to see him shut a few up tonight but not sure we stopped targeting him in defence. We completely neglected our left edge for 40 mins until Kikau came back on.

Tamou had a great game. Tetevano had a meh first stint but his second stint was a cracker. Thought we left JFH on there too long, Leota was the only middle forward making a dent either side of half time. Looked sharp again after he refreshed for 10 mins on the bench.

martielang

Bench
Hopefully Edwards comes back next week, think we should put Chrichton into the centres for Whare because his lack of speed is killing him.

Yeh it’s a hard one. Whare still made some really strong defensive reads / tackles but not offering much with the ball.

Flashstep

Juniors
Yeh it’s a hard one. Whare still made some really strong defensive reads / tackles but not offering much with the ball.

Clearly he still has the mind for the defensive side of the game but his legs just can’t match it. Sooner or later coaches are going to target him.

chrisD

Coach
Our centres haven’t been an issue as yet. Fullback is. Luai needs to get in the game more. I’m ok with Mansour passing out of our own end so I’ll wear the occasional f**k up. Players around him shouldn’t have had their backs turned too.

We are not controlling the ruck in defence well enough.