What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hmmmm

Father Ted

First Grade
NRL considering 3-game GF series, wildcards, wooden spoon playoff, report says
:thinking:

BEN COTTON

EDITOR
MARCH 31, 2020

The NRL is considering a host of radical ideas to overhaul the 2020 season, according to The Australian.

They reportedly include a three-game grand final series, a wildcard finals series a playoff for the wooden spoon and playing games in quarters instead of halves.

The league has formed a football innovation committee with its two host broadcasters to discuss all the possibilities in a bid to extract as much broadcast money as possible.

NRL chief Todd Greenberg confirmed conversations were ongoing with Nine Network and Foxtel with regards to how the season will look if and when it restarts later in the year.

Sources close to Channel Ten are reportedly keeping a close eye on the league’s tense relationship with the Nine Network.

Ultimately, the league is exploring all avenues to maintain the excitement of the 2020 season.

“Everything is on the table,” Greenberg said.

“We’re thinking about it completely differently. I don’t think there is a bad idea at the moment.”

Banjo2014

Juniors
Yeah I spent a lot of time in the park drinking beer with the warbs in the middle of the town - Great memories

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I always saw the top eight finals as a separate shortened competition anyway.

The original article...

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/3915a810c49f26b7d4537327dd2a4c70

NRL has wildcards and wooden spoon playoff in works

BRENT READ
SENIOR SPORTS WRITER

The NRL has formed a football innovation committee involving its two host broadcasters as it prepares to discuss the possibility of playing a three-game grand final series, a wildcard weekend and a playoff for the wooden spoon should the competition return in a truncated form later this year.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg confirmed discussions were ongoing with the Nine Network and Foxtel over the shape of a 20-week season, head office willing to consider any and all options as it seeks to extract as much money as it can for its broadcast rights.

The NRL reiterated its desire to have players return to the field as early as July 1 in a meeting with club bosses on Monday morning, using the telephone hook-up to finalise a deal with chief executives and chairs over funding for the foreseeable future.

As they were plotting a path forward, it emerged that Channel Ten was keeping a close eye on rugby league’s increasingly fractious relationship with the Nine Network as it weighs the prospect of using the sport to reinvigorate ratings.

Sources close to Ten confirmed to The Australian that it was keeping all options open as it sits back and watches events unfold at its commercial rival.

The Nine Network has already indicated it will not make its quarterly payment to the NRL on April 1, its preference to renegotiate its existing deal and extend beyond 2022.

The NRL has held its nerve, realising it is currently in a position of weakness because it is strapped for cash and struggling to stay on its feet in the wake of the coronavirus.

The Nine Network fanned the flames of discontent further on Monday when it lodged a document with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission outlining its long and short-term cost initiatives for 2020.

Discussing its operational initiatives in response to COVID-19, the Nine Network told a virtual conference for JP Morgan that it had the potential to save $130,000 should the NRL not manage to go ahead this season.

It was another shot across the NRL’s bow as the game struggles to get some matches in the bag — and some money in its coffers via the broadcasters — before the end of the year.

Despite the tension between the NRL and Nine, the game’s commercial partner will be part of the committee put together to discuss the way a shortened season should look in the event that the game returns to the field in 2020.

There remains serious doubt over when and if that will happen but the NRL has been working on contingency plans for some time now.

It is now ready to take a deeper dive into the permutations with their broadcasters.

“We’re thinking about it completely differently. I don’t think there is a bad idea at the moment.”

It is understood the NRL has also discussed the prospect of playing the games in quarters rather than halves, a move that would be more conducive to games being played in the summer heat.

Coffs dragon

Bench
It would be fascinating having a playoff for last. The LOSER gets the trophy of a wooden spoon !
We are right in this, McAnchor can lead us all the way to the bottom and still find an excuse in the Global Pandemic & the JDB legal case being delayed.
On ya Gus, brilliant review still working covert for the Panthers, Roosters, Bulldogs & Rabbitohs (all teams he’s coached or played for)

Bench
Good plan by the NRL, gives them another chance to feck up the game. If it’s not broken don’t need to fix it.

blacksafake

First Grade
We are right in this, McAnchor can lead us all the way to the bottom and still find an excuse in the Global Pandemic & the JDB legal case being delayed.
On ya Gus, brilliant review still working covert for the Panthers, Roosters, Bulldogs & Rabbitohs (all teams he’s coached or played for)
And knowing our luck we'll win the spoon & he'll be rewarded with another extension.:(
The board will declare that they have a coach who has created a winning culture. o_O

blacksafake

First Grade
I always saw the top eight finals as a separate shortened competition anyway.

The original article...

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/3915a810c49f26b7d4537327dd2a4c70

NRL has wildcards and wooden spoon playoff in works

BRENT READ
SENIOR SPORTS WRITER

The NRL has formed a football innovation committee involving its two host broadcasters as it prepares to discuss the possibility of playing a three-game grand final series, a wildcard weekend and a playoff for the wooden spoon should the competition return in a truncated form later this year.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg confirmed discussions were ongoing with the Nine Network and Foxtel over the shape of a 20-week season, head office willing to consider any and all options as it seeks to extract as much money as it can for its broadcast rights.

The NRL reiterated its desire to have players return to the field as early as July 1 in a meeting with club bosses on Monday morning, using the telephone hook-up to finalise a deal with chief executives and chairs over funding for the foreseeable future.

As they were plotting a path forward, it emerged that Channel Ten was keeping a close eye on rugby league’s increasingly fractious relationship with the Nine Network as it weighs the prospect of using the sport to reinvigorate ratings.

Sources close to Ten confirmed to The Australian that it was keeping all options open as it sits back and watches events unfold at its commercial rival.

The Nine Network has already indicated it will not make its quarterly payment to the NRL on April 1, its preference to renegotiate its existing deal and extend beyond 2022.

The NRL has held its nerve, realising it is currently in a position of weakness because it is strapped for cash and struggling to stay on its feet in the wake of the coronavirus.

The Nine Network fanned the flames of discontent further on Monday when it lodged a document with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission outlining its long and short-term cost initiatives for 2020.

Discussing its operational initiatives in response to COVID-19, the Nine Network told a virtual conference for JP Morgan that it had the potential to save $130,000 should the NRL not manage to go ahead this season.

It was another shot across the NRL’s bow as the game struggles to get some matches in the bag — and some money in its coffers via the broadcasters — before the end of the year.

Despite the tension between the NRL and Nine, the game’s commercial partner will be part of the committee put together to discuss the way a shortened season should look in the event that the game returns to the field in 2020.

There remains serious doubt over when and if that will happen but the NRL has been working on contingency plans for some time now.

It is now ready to take a deeper dive into the permutations with their broadcasters.

It is understood the NRL has also discussed the prospect of playing the games in quarters rather than halves, a move that would be more conducive to games being played in the summer heat.
If the games are played in quarters it'll also create more opportunities for advertising.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If the games are played in quarters it'll also create more opportunities for advertising.
At the end of the day the interested parties just want to come out of this with some money. A lot of compromise will have to be made, otherwise we might end up watching Rugby League on ABC TV again... which isn't necessarily the end of the world.

Walpole

Juniors
It would be fascinating having a playoff for last. The LOSER gets the trophy of a wooden spoon !
It has the potential for great theatre. Two teams (lets call them Gold Coast and the Dragons) battling it out for a dirty old wooden spoon thrown in some mud on the sideline. Losing coach (lets call him Paul McGregor) gets publicly flogged with said spoon in front of the crowd after the game, with the losing spectators all getting in line to take a swing (think, Flying High).

RedVDave

First Grade
Missed you too Dave ,when you were in Copenhagen I was bloody jealous

I thought of you when I was in Copenhagen, I truly understand your infatuation with the place now. Amazing city, great food and beautiful people. I felt like a mutant offspring amongst all those attractive people.

I had to cut my trip short obviously I was going to backpack the whole year I was just about to head to central America then of course the pandemic hit. I was fortunate enough to squeeze in 21 countries though, at least now I'll get the chance to brush up on my Espanol.

Whoops I'm not talking footy ummm Sack McGregor!

LINESPEED

Juniors
At the end of the day the interested parties just want to come out of this with some money. A lot of compromise will have to be made, otherwise we might end up watching Rugby League on ABC TV again... which isn't necessarily the end of the world.

The good old days eh

I’d happily settle for listening to Frank Hyde again
....with a Rhum Negrita -

....as the ball floats:
“long enough, it’s high enough, if it’s straight it’s there”

No one could match his on air excitement at a Gasnier or Changa linebreak

What a champ from the good old days of honest club footy with hard working men who played for the love of the game

- he won a title with Balmain in ‘39 and broadcast 33 straight grand finals

- and Mum said Dad would often have me on his knee listening in to him call Dragons’ games from what must’ve been around ‘55

When I took the family to the West Indies 20 odd years ago I remember thinking of Frank & his beloved Negrita

....which must’ve warmed the cockles of a few hearts (mum’s phrase) in some of those bleak Sydney winters.

Funny how odd things imprint from childhood

What a time it was, and what a team we had Andrew

denis preston

First Grade
The good old days eh

I’d happily settle for listening to Frank Hyde again
....with a Rhum Negrita -

....as the ball floats:
“long enough, it’s high enough, if it’s straight it’s there”

No one could match his on air excitement at a Gasnier or Changa linebreak

What a champ from the good old days of honest club footy with hard working men who played for the love of the game

- he won a title with Balmain in ‘39 and broadcast 33 straight grand finals

- and Mum said Dad would often have me on his knee listening in to him call Dragons’ games from what must’ve been around ‘55

When I took the family to the West Indies 20 odd years ago I remember thinking of Frank & his beloved Negrita

....which must’ve warmed the cockles of a few hearts (mum’s phrase) in some of those bleak Sydney winters.

Funny how odd things imprint from childhood

What a time it was, and what a team we had Andrew

Did Frank ever win a premiership as a player ? Thought he only played for Norths & Newtown ? He was a great caller, very impartial.Used to get his offsider ( Colin Bridge ? ) to trot out on the field at the end of the game to give the Seiko watch to Franks man of the match. A lot of spectators used hold off leaving to boo or applaud Franks choice !

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Apparently Frank Hyde and Graeme Langlands had a frosty relationship. Frank never gave Chang the Seiko man of the match award, except on one occasion.

His curt language did not endear him to some. Frank Hyde, the legendary commentator, covered the match of the day for 2SM at the SCG when the Dragons were a regular fixture.

Frank was having a feud with Changa and regularly awarded the prize watch to other players in the St George team.

Finally, came the day Langlands outplayed everyone to the extent that Frank simply had to give him the Seiko.

As the highly respected Hyde rose from his sideline seat, moving to Langlands on the sideline, he declared: "My man of the match is Graeme Langlands." Changa's response was quintessential Langlands. "Stick it up your arse," he said.

- Roy Masters
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/re...-for-the-modern-fullback-20180121-h0lprg.html