What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Canard

Immortal
The Warriors being given the green light has to mean May 28 is all but sorted right (barring unforeseen circumstances)

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Melbourne storm trying to say that no one player is bigger than the team.

Pisssss off. You have Cameron Smith who thinks he is bigger than the League.

ACTPanthers

Bench
How is adding more weeks suspension going lighter? Good maths.

Hunter's misdemeanor is no doubt the most dangerous and the suspension should reflect that. The fact the NRL players are facing criminal charges for their conduct indicates the seriousness their actions, but still don't think that's as dangerous in reality to Hunter's actions.
Pretty sure he's talking about the discrepancy between the punishments for the Camping Bro's and your "Nobodies" from the AFL - Both are the same in the sense they were flouting current social distancing laws... But I could be wrong.

franklin2323

Immortal
Pretty sure he's talking about the discrepancy between the punishments for the Camping Bro's and your "Nobodies" from the AFL - Both are the same in the sense they were flouting current social distancing laws... But I could be wrong.

They got $3k fines. $2k suspended... yet NRL was the one that went too soft

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
They got $3k fines. $2k suspended... yet NRL was the one that went too soft

Forgot to add $20k for lost match payments versus blokes free to play?

Fines are much of a muchness for some blokes on $500k+ a year.

I'm not questioning the fines, its the suspensions. Yes, soft.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors

You know what, it might have been the same, had they not been riding dirt bikes without required protection and shooting firearms illegally, then making bullshit excuses when they were caught. The optics are very different.

The Cleary/Freo situations seem the most like for like.

Generalzod

Immortal
I think it’s a bit rich for the likes of Johns and Fitler criticising the likes of Latrell, Josh and Nathan when these characters behaviour as players where just as bad Johns a known drug cheat, and Fitler was so drunk he didn’t even know where home was and the taxi driver left him on the steps of a police station lol

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Of course Ben Cousins is the gift that keeps on giving.

As an aside, I see SMH reporting Fox want a discount on season. They doing same to Vick Le Kick (as they call it in France)?

great news because then they'll pass that discount onto us

Willow

Assistant Moderator
How is adding more weeks suspension going lighter? Good maths.
No.... you're definitely going for less weeks for the AFL social gatherers.

Your post, your maths...
NRL Mitchell, Addo-Carr, and Roberts-Davis 3-4 weeks
NRL Cleary 2-3 weeks (1 extra for being a lying merkin)
AFL Freo nobodies 2 weeks

I'm talking about the social distancing laws which are designed to limit social gatherings. Repeating myself now.

Which AFL team do you support?

hrundi99

First Grade
I think it’s a bit rich for the likes of Johns and Fitler criticising the likes of Latrell, Josh and Nathan when these characters behaviour as players where just as bad Johns a known drug cheat, and Fitler was so drunk he didn’t even know where home was and the taxi driver left him on the steps of a police station lol

Be that as it may they weren't potentially spreading an illness that is potentially lethal.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
No.... you're definitely going for less weeks for the AFL social gatherers.

Your post, your maths...
NRL Mitchell, Addo-Carr, and Roberts-Davis 3-4 weeks
NRL Cleary 2-3 weeks (1 extra for being a lying merkin)
AFL Freo nobodies 2 weeks

I'm talking about the social distancing laws which are designed to limit social gatherings. Repeating myself now.

Which AFL team do you support?

Conveniently forget to add the first line of my post to fit your angle? I put Cleary and the Freo nobodies in the same bucket but as I said, maybe an extra week for Cleary for being a dumb, lying idiot. You consider the actions of the 3 campers to be the same as Cleary and the Freo players?

The AFL team I support isn't involved in this mess, yet, and the NRL team I support is and I'd be satisfied if he got 3-4 weeks, even if it weakened our side for that time.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Conveniently forget to add the first line of my post to fit your angle?
It's not relevant to the social distancing argument. You're still having trouble following that. Have you checked your maths yet?

The fact is, you think the AFL party incident isn't as serious as the NRL player having friends around, or players riding dirt bikes together. From a social distancing perspective, they all pose the same risk. Got it?
I put Cleary and the Freo nobodies in the same bucket but as I said, maybe an extra week for Cleary for being a dumb, lying idiot.
You call the AFL players 'nobodies' as if there's nothing to see here. Do you understand that COVID-19 doesn't discriminate when it comes to a person's fame? Nor does it care if the person is lying or not.
You consider the actions of the 3 campers to be the same as Cleary and the Freo players?
When talking about the social distancing breaches, yes. Explained above.

There are two discussions going on:

1. Health concerns.
In case you are unaware, the NRL is trying to restart the comp on May 28 - that is central to the subject matter. There are some concerns about possible health issues. Players breaking social distancing laws highlights those concerns.
A Chief Medical Officer isn't looking at players shooting at logs in the bush.

2. Bad behaviour and AFL brushing it under the carpet..
Yes, indeed, players can be dickheads. Drink driving, shooting firearms (In this case the drink driving and crashing into cars is far more serious) are not a good look. The AFL have a history of trying to make it go away. Or ignoring it, hoping it will go away. If the player doesn't get caught, then happy days.
The NRL have a history of attempting to nip such things in the bud.
Moreover, the mainstream media are kinder to the AFL when it comes to bad behaviour.

Now, the two discussions should be entirely separate to each other, and good debaters can do that. But you want to jumble them in together.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
It's not relevant to the social distancing argument. You're still having trouble following that. Have you checked your maths yet?

The fact is, you think the AFL party incident isn't as serious as the NRL player having friends around, or players riding dirt bikes together. From a social distancing perspective, they all pose the same risk. Got it?

You call the AFL players 'nobodies' as if there's nothing to see here. Do you understand that COVID-19 doesn't discriminate when it comes to a person's fame? Nor does it care if the person is lying or not.

When talking about the social distancing breaches, yes. Explained above.

There are two discussions going on:

AFL players being classed as 'nobodies' is a reference to the fact they are not big names as the NRL players committing reaches. Heck I follow AFL and I had no idea who those Freo players are. My inference is that the higher the profile you have, the more protection you get from NRL/AFL sanction, that has been evidenced numerous times in the past. I have stated that the AFL sanctions should have been stronger so no AFL bias here.

The discussion I'm having is that regardless of the breach or the status of the player or code, there should have been suspensions handed down above any fines handed out. AFL did for one player, which could have been higher, should have for the others and the NRL did none which I felt was soft.

You can run off on whatever tangent you want about segregating COVID19 health risks with the other offences, but my point that the NRL wants to act as an organization with strength and integrity, doesn't follow through with that posturizing. To have players risk the recommencement of the game by not only flouting social distancing requirements, but committing firearms offences and not being suspended for even one week is a weak move. That's all I'm saying and that's only my opinion.

Sure the media can persist with the negative narrative but at a time where Vlandys started to get some momentum and build a presence, IMO he lost a bit by not taking a strong stance against these behaviors.

Last edited:

Latest posts