What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

forby

Juniors
You can now hold the opposition in their own 20 without fear of giving territory through a penalty.
You can now hold down in tackles in your own 20 and defend narrow leads without fear of giving away 2 points.
How do you sin bin somebody if they haven’t committed a penalisable offence?
Bellamy will have this nailed down already!

franklin2323

Immortal
Subjective rules suck. And you see it all the time. What is a penalty at the the 5th minute isn't in the 72nd.

Will be very interesting to see how this plays out and if some teams give away a lot more sets than others.

Not a fan of this change. Nor the stupid change of being able to set the scrum wherever you want. Scrum should take place at point of infringement. That's it.

I would go as far as saying 10 penalties a game are teams holding down to slow the game down.

Not giving a penalty now takes away the advantage and as such hopefully leads to more tries

TheFrog

Coach
I would go as far as saying 10 penalties a game are teams holding down to slow the game down.

Not giving a penalty now takes away the advantage and as such hopefully leads to more tries
The only thing I have against this change is that they've brought it in mid-season. If done properly, it will benefit the fitter sides over the lazier ones. This might have a profound effect on the competition table. I hope the refs will take into account whether a team is 2 behind or 6/7 behind when deciding whether to award a penalty.

franklin2323

Immortal
The only thing I have against this change is that they've brought it in mid-season. If done properly, it will benefit the fitter sides over the lazier ones. This might have a profound effect on the competition table.

timing is odd but it isn’t a normal season I guess

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
why didn’t he just say it’s being done to save money instead of making up some bullshit that the fans want it

Didn't someone say it would only save $2m a year? Chump change in the grand scheme of things.

But holy hell. Listening to the fans. Fans are f**king idiots. I hope that's not what happened. If one ref is the right idea, based on experts and evidence, great. But because Jonny 10 Cans thinks his team is getting cheated because there's two incompetent refs and not one?

_Johnsy

Referee
If you think cars racing around in circles is all that goes on in motor racing than I can understand why you don't like it.

League is a far simpler sport to understand
If all the cars were the same, engine tyres everything and the race was decided on the drivers ability alone, then it would have a tad more interest from my perspective. I find it nauseating.

_Johnsy

Referee
motorsport is like cricket, good to have on in the background or when working in the garage. It’s actually a great thing to attend and is a full on sensory overload, if you've never been to a F1 event Id highly recommend it.
I have been to Indy, Supercars, F1, Moto GP, & Drags with funny cars, speedway. I went one time to each purely to experience the event. Just didn't resonate on any level. I think it's fair to say i have experienced a wide variety of motor sports in my lifetime.

Frailty

First Grade
It's going to be great to see a team up by 2 points late happily slowing down the play the ball without fear of the losing the lead.

It's going to be great to see a team coming out of their own end now not having the opportunity to commence play further down the field when the opposition interferes in the ruck.

I can live with one referee. I don't think it would change the game that much (or at least hope) and I think if the referees' bosses use it effectively it could improve competition amongst the referee ranks in normal circumstances.

However, why would they drop to one referee without consultation after they have trained the last 10 years in a 2 referee system AND add a new rule to apply? Good way to confuse referees for no real reason at all.

Frailty

First Grade
Didn't someone say it would only save $2m a year? Chump change in the grand scheme of things.

But holy hell. Listening to the fans. Fans are f**king idiots. I hope that's not what happened. If one ref is the right idea, based on experts and evidence, great. But because Jonny 10 Cans thinks his team is getting cheated because there's two incompetent refs and not one?

I'd be surprised if it would even save $2M. They are simply not going to use part-time NRL referee squad members. If the officials page is the fulltime squad - there are 16 fulltime referees. That means each weekend you will need 8 part time members. 8 part-timers are not saving them $2M.