What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 1999 the biggest grand final choke?

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
On roosters 2003 i don't see that as a choke, we don't make the odds.

We played quite well on the day and didn't blow a lead so i cant call that a choke.

If Todd Byrne shows a little turn of foot we probably win the thing.

The only roosters GF loss that i have seen that i would consider a choke is 2004, that 2nd half was poor to say the least.

A Hazem El Masri double movement cost the Roosters the premiership.

Valheru

Coach
A Hazem El Masri double movement cost the Roosters the premiership.

He was over the line wasn't he? So not sure you can call it a double movement but there is a strong case he was held.

Regardless, 7 up at half time and TBH we looked a 20 point better team in that first half and then we don't score another point.

That is a choke.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
He was over the line wasn't he? So not sure you can call it a double movement but there is a strong case he was held.

Regardless, 7 up at half time and TBH we looked a 20 point better team in that first half and then we don't score another point.

That is a choke.

I was cheering for the Dogs that grand final, but even I think it was a double movement.

TheDalek079

Bench
On roosters 2003 i don't see that as a choke, we don't make the odds.

We played quite well on the day and didn't blow a lead so i cant call that a choke.

If Todd Byrne shows a little turn of foot we probably win the thing.

The only roosters GF loss that i have seen that i would consider a choke is 2004, that 2nd half was poor to say the least.

2003 the Panthers were minor premiers. Not a choke losing to them, especially considering the grand final performances by both sides.

Special mention to the 03 and 04 Roosters.

All that big game experience, all those exceptional players.

Todd Byrne not being able to outpace Sattler can only be described as a choke.

Then the next year, ahead by 7 at the half. Losing to two-way tries to Matt f**king Utai is pretty lol worthy.

I honestly think Todd Byrne has been a bit hard done by over the years on this. Please let me explain..

In the wet, he was looking to defend an attacking kick, had to turn around after the rebound, got the pass and ran. Luke Lewis managed to clip his leg/foot in diving to tackle - even if only slight - making him almost lose his footing. But he managed to rebalance on the run to stay upright, then try and accelerate again. For all the talk of Scott Sattler, and yes it was an amazing tackle, I reckon Sattler owes Lewis a few beers for all the money he's made on the speaking circuit.

If Lewis doesn't dive as early as he did, he most likely keeps up with Byrne and has a better opportunity to take him down after a few more seconds. If he misses Byrne completely in diving, Byrne has an extra step or two ahead of Sattler coming across, and most likely scoots away to score. Whichever it is - either way Sattler doesn't make the now famous tackle, nor goes onto become part of Rugby League Folklore.

horrie hastings

First Grade

That is a choke.

The jury was out for me on the El Masiri try for years but on viewing it again this year a few times, I agree it wasn't a double movement, the thing that's annoys me about it most though is that Shannon Hegarty could have made a better attempt at locking El Masri up, he more or less stopped once El Masri looked like he was locked up the first time and could have easily locked up El Masri completely so he couldn't have advanced the ball.
Also just before half time when Easts were up 13-6, they had a another try disallowed which would have put them up 19-6, at that score the Roosters wouldn't have lost but it wasn't to be.

Valheru

Coach
The jury was out for me on the El Masiri try for years but on viewing it again this year a few times, I agree it wasn't a double movement, the thing that's annoys me about it most though is that Shannon Hegarty could have made a better attempt at locking El Masri up, he more or less stopped once El Masri looked like he was locked up the first time and could have easily locked up El Masri completely so he couldn't have advanced the ball.
Also just before half time when Easts were up 13-6, they had a another try disallowed which would have put them up 19-6, at that score the Roosters wouldn't have lost but it wasn't to be.

Yeah i don't think double movement either.

What was that try before half time disallowed for?

I remember mini being denied for an obstruction in the 2nd half which would have sealed the match. Definite obstruction and better execution would have won the match.

As you say, not to be. Dont know about you but it is far easier to look at all of 03, 04 and 10 with a more pragmatic eye given our last 3 GF performances.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors

I remember mini being denied for an obstruction in the 2nd half which would have sealed the match. Definite obstruction and better execution would have won the match.

As you say, not to be. Dont know about you but it is far easier to look at all of 03, 04 and 10 with a more pragmatic eye given our last 3 GF performances.

Just as long as you didn't listen to the awarding of the Clive Churchill medal :)

horrie hastings

First Grade
I honestly think Todd Byrne has been a bit hard done by over the years on this. Please let me explain..

In the wet, he was looking to defend an attacking kick, had to turn around after the rebound, got the pass and ran. Luke Lewis managed to clip his leg/foot in diving to tackle - even if only slight - making him almost lose his footing. But he managed to rebalance on the run to stay upright, then try and accelerate again. For all the talk of Scott Sattler, and yes it was an amazing tackle, I reckon Sattler owes Lewis a few beers for all the money he's made on the speaking circuit.

If Lewis doesn't dive as early as he did, he most likely keeps up with Byrne and has a better opportunity to take him down after a few more seconds. If he misses Byrne completely in diving, Byrne has an extra step or two ahead of Sattler coming across, and most likely scoots away to score. Whichever it is - either way Sattler doesn't make the now famous tackle, nor goes onto become part of Rugby League Folklore.

Yes totally agree with what you said especially the Luke Lewis attempted tackle where he clipped Byrne's leg, it caused him to stumble albeit briefly which affected his run initially before regaining his balance. The one thing that is rarely mentioned is that with Penriths first try was Jason Cayless being called off side by the ref which led to the gaping hole that Luke Priddis went through to set up the try, Cayless should have just gone in and tackled and give away the penalty all though there may have been the chance he could have sin binned.

horrie hastings

First Grade

It was for obstruction and it was Mini and was only about 1 minute or 2 before half time from memory.
It's funny the 2003 GF never upset me that much but the 2004 still sticks in my guts as I knew it would be quite a while till we had another chance with Freddy retiring but yes so happy I got see 2013, 18 and 19.

Valheru

Coach
Yes totally agree with what you said especially the Luke Lewis attempted tackle where he clipped Byrne's leg, it caused him to stumble albeit briefly which affected his run initially before regaining his balance. The one thing that is rarely mentioned is that with Penriths first try was Jason Cayless being called off side by the ref which led to the gaping hole that Luke Priddis went through to set up the try, Cayless should have just gone in and tackled and give away the penalty all though there may have been the chance he could have sin binned.

He should have definitely made the tackle.

Doubt that's a sin bin in 2003