What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 1999 the biggest grand final choke?

Valheru

Coach
nothing will beat the storm getting pumped 40-0 as the biggest choke in rugby league history

If not for that JAC intercept try which stopped us going 24-0 up and halted our momentum, we might have seen something similar in 2018 with Smith playing

moffla

Bench
If not for that JAC intercept try which stopped us going 24-0 up and halted our momentum, we might have seen something similar in 2018 with Smith playing
Instead, we won the second half and everyone knows that's what Grand Finals are truly about...

Taking it based on the actual GF, irrespective of form leading in I’d agree with Manly 95, Brisbane 15 & Melbourne 2018 as well in the debate.
As for 99, it’s hard to argue against the choke. A couple of poor calls(not the penalty try)didn’t help but Melbourne just found another 3 gears in the 2nd half.
Being at the game, I still have visions of a tearful Dragons fan taking off his jersey & throwing it into the crowd in disgust only for the Dragons fan who caught it to promptly throw it back at him.

I was there too... my memory leaving the ground was of mass and utter devastation. Everyone shuffling out looking at the ground.... they should have been playing the Platoon theme music in the background it was that tragic. I felt like Elias getting shot down in the field, betrayed by a result.... “whyyyyyyy!!!!!”...

Reflector

Juniors
I was there too... my memory leaving the ground was of mass and utter devastation. Everyone shuffling out looking at the ground.... they should have been playing the Platoon theme music in the background it was that tragic. I felt like Elias getting shot down in the field, betrayed by a result.... “whyyyyyyy!!!!!”...

+ Tigers fans leaving the SFS in '89 and Broncos fans leaving ANZ in '15

+ Tigers fans leaving the SFS in '89 and Broncos fans leaving ANZ in '15

Yes. The only thing I'd suggest is that for Dragons and Tigers fans - it had been a long long time since they last won a title, and for many fans - they weren't around to see it. Broncos had won less than ten years before, and had a great run in the 90's.

So it was Platoon for us and the Tigers, perhaps Good Morning Vietnam for the Broncos.

TheDalek079

Bench

IMO the biggest 'what if' from that game is what would have happened if Fergo scored that try early on the second half. Would have been 24-0, and with all our momentum, and Storm being utterly hopeless I think we could have cracked 40 points

Life's Good

Coach

I’m thinking....

GongPanther

Referee
Balmain, Souths and Cronulla were all teams who could look back on that 1986-89 period with a sense of "what might have been"?
Tigers had a more mongrel smell of blood about them. When you played against them, you knew you were in more than a game of football.

Latest posts