What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QRL Expansions

expansionist

Juniors
Hi Guys, hope you saw this release on Thursday, regarding the announcement of a Bid for a French Pacific team to enter the ISC.

Sport: New Pacific rugby league team proposed for ISC

A new Pacific Island rugby league team based in New Caledonia and Vanuatu is targeting a place in an expanded Intrust Super Cup (ISC) competition.

The Pacifique Treize Rugby League bid was officially launched this week and hopes to follow in the footsteps of the Papua New Guinea Hunters, who have been playing in the Queensland Cup since 2014.

eight_col_Pac_League_Logoz.jpg

The Pacifique XIII aims to play home matches in Noumea and Port Vila. Photo: Supplied

The 2020 ISC season was cancelled in March due to Covid-19 but the group behind the Pacifique Treize bid say their aim is to join the competition in 2023.

The six-member steering committee, which included representatives from the French Pacific, Australia and Vanuatu, had spent the past 12 months investigating the feasibility of the bid.

"We are looking forward to the engagement process with the Intrust Super Cup officials and other relevant stakeholders to meet the guidelines required for entry," said Pacifique Treize Communications Director, Laurent Garnier.

"We believe in this project and we are confident of our success. This will be a real advancement for the competition as we seek to bring a new, interesting product for the fans and we hope to engage with the Australian South Sea Islander (ASSI) community in Queensland so that we can create a great atmosphere for the fans at the away games as well as the home ones."

The Pacifique Treize bid planned to establish a close relationship with Vanuatu Rugby League and would look to play 10 home games in Noumea and two in Port Vila if they were successful in gaining entry into the ISC.

"We are very supportive of the Pacifique Treize bid and have been consulted and engaged throughout the entire process by the bid team," said the acting Vanuatu Rugby League President Antonio Korikalo.

"The Pacifique Treize bid aligns with our objectives, particularly to provide pathway opportunities for talented ni-Vanuatu into high performance programs and into semi-professional and professional playing opportunities and showcasing top level rugby league in Vanuatu.

"We are currently working on a partnership agreement to formalise our relationship and how we will jointly deliver VRL / Pacifique Treize activities in Vanuatu moving forward".

eight_col_team_pic.jpg

Vanuatu hosted Solomon Islands in Port Vila in 2016. Photo: Supplied / Ron Zwiers / Vanuatu Rugby League

The Noumea-based bid hoped that establishing an elite Intrust Super Cup side would also help to boost the development of rugby league throughout French speaking Pacific territories including New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, French Polynesia and Vanuatu, which have a combined population of almost 800,000.

The Queensland Rugby League (QRL) had previously stated their desire to expand the competition from 14 teams to 16 by 2023 and discussions with the Pacifique Treize steering committee had been ongoing since mid-2019.

"As the competition grows to 16 teams, we are confident that we can provide the added value that the league is seeking," Laurent Garnier said.

eight_col_60333690_10157405824052342_4248339808184696832_o.jpg

Noumea's Stade Numa Daly hosted the 2019 OFC Champions League final. Photo: OFC via Phototek

Pacifique Treize said they had taken inspiration from the success of PNG Hunters, who won their maiden Queensland Cup title in 2017, as well as the rise of the Toronto Wolfpack from a non-rugby league city in Canada to a place in the Super League.

The bid is also watching the progression of the Kaiviti Silktails from Fiji, who made their debut in the third tier of the New South Wales Rugby League system earlier this year.

eight_col_img_9403.jpg

The PNG Hunters have been an inspiration to the Pacifique XIII bid. Photo: PNG Hunters Media

Supporters are encouraged "register as a fan" at www.pacifique13.com to be a part of the bid journey going forward, including a competition to select the mascot and team name later this year.

The Partisan

In two minds on this one.

On one hand, yes it grows the game in the Pacific and has the opportunity to expose emerging French players to a higher standard of compeition. May even attract Oz / NZ based players looking for something different. Especially those with Pacific Islands heritage.

Also creates more opportunities for sport and commerce / trade to work together.

On the flip side, I see it as another obstacle for regional 'bush' footy areas as the QRL budget may get stretched further and local leagues funding cut.

yakstorm

First Grade
The Pacifique Treize bid team has no intention of taking away funds from that the QRL have directed towards to their grassroots programs / etc and much like the Hunters, Wolfpack, Silktails, etc know that they will need to pay for the other QCup teams to fly in & out of New Caledonia & Vanuatu in order to be accepted.

The intention is for it to be a completely self-sufficient entity and hopefully even help the QRL generate extra funding.

Admitting the Pacifique bid shouldn't have any negative impact on the QRL's ability to continue supporting grassroots RL in the state.

The Partisan

The Pacifique Treize bid team has no intention of taking away funds from that the QRL have directed towards to their grassroots programs / etc and much like the Hunters, Wolfpack, Silktails, etc know that they will need to pay for the other QCup teams to fly in & out of New Caledonia & Vanuatu in order to be accepted.

The intention is for it to be a completely self-sufficient entity and hopefully even help the QRL generate extra funding.

Admitting the Pacifique bid shouldn't have any negative impact on the QRL's ability to continue supporting grassroots RL in the state.

Probably right Yak.

May even appeal to the wider Pacific Islander communities across the state as a supporter base.

Some exposure via multicultural media like Radio 4EB in Bne would be good too.

I think occassionally introducing new structures, teams, comps gives the game a boost, especially in regional areas of our state.

Must be a historical link to a particular region of Qld that this new proposed team can play on to form a tradition / combatted annual trophy. Bit like the Hunters Anzac Day weekend games v Burleigh or Sunny Coast.

Will add to the competition and build the game in New Caledonia.

Souths should relocate permanently to Logan and call themselves the Logan Magpies, or adopt the Scorpions brand of the defunct club that was based at Slacks Creek.

Cronulla Park would be the perfect place for Souths, but the Logan City Council have gifted it to a fumbleball club that no one cares about. QRL need to get their finger out and do something about Logan. They sat back and allowed the Logan City Council to force the Scorpions into signing an extravagant 15 year lease in 1988 that was more than every other sports club in the city combined, leading to the Scorpions' demise. Scorpions wanted to be based at Cronulla Park but the LCC forced them to play out of Meakin Park. Davies Park and West End is too hipster these days to support a rugby league club.

Wynnum Manly should change their name to East Coast Seagulls so they can expand into Redlands and the bayside suburbs of Brissie from Lytton to Lota.

1B4DF800-3B8F-47CD-A600-AF8D597D3387.jpeg

Last edited:

XXXX Cap

Juniors

Wynnum Manly should change their name to East Coast Seagulls so they can expand into Redlands anf thr bayside suburbs of Brissie from Lytton to Lota.

View attachment 39297

I think Easts already had a crack at being the "East Coast Tigers". Changing team names is a disaster, they end up with no identity rather than more. Wynnum Manly is representative of a district that has a particular history and local culture, none of which it shares with the Redlands.

Anyone remember "Seagulls Diehards" - that went well didn't it?

I think Easts already had a crack at being the "East Coast Tigers". Changing team names is a disaster, they end up with no identity rather than more. Wynnum Manly is representative of a district that has a particular history and local culture, none of which it shares with the Redlands.

Anyone remember "Seagulls Diehards" - that went well didn't it?
East Coast Tigers was late 90s and early 00s.

DF7286F6-1C8A-4A0E-A777-F01B9040DFD4.jpeg

Adopting 'East Coast' instead of Wynnum Manly would allow the Seagulls to run as a standalone club or a merged entity with Easts in the NRL, combining two fanbases and districts to create a super club that allows both clubs to retain their identity.

The combined population of Wynnum, Wynnum West, Manly and Manly West is only 40,000. The club has made efforts to build a supporter base in Redlands over the last decade, taking games to Stradbroke Island and the home of the Redlands Parrots. Touch Rugby League in the Redlands is promoted heavily at Wynnum games.

You're right about the history and culture between Wynnum and Redland being different, but the two areas share more in common than they do with the rest of Brisbane. Redlands is a more relaxed, modern version of Wynnum as it is a younger city and still has many semi-rural areas. When I am at Wellington Point and Cleveland I see similarities with Wynnum ans Manly. I've met people at Wellington Point who live around the Wynnum area but like to take their dog for a walk to the little Island when the tide is out.

Seagulls Diehards was 88-89, led to back to back premierships against Ipswich. If memory serves me correctly it was a merger between Tweed Heads Seagulls and Fortitude Valley Diehards brought on by financial difficulties at Valleys.

9AEAE859-4978-4AA3-B6B3-59A7F8F7CD09.jpeg

Last edited:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
The Seagulls Diehards thing didn't last, not much point changing your name for two seasons.

Why do we need a "super club"?

The Seagulls Diehards thing didn't last, not much point changing your name for two seasons.

Why do we need a "super club"?
I reckon Seagulls have the potential to become an NRL powerhouse. They have a passionate fanbase and a strong history. But they will need to expand their geographical footprint beyond Wynnum to become big enough to stake a claim for an NRL licence. The Wynnum Manly Leagues Club on Wondal Rd would benefit from tapping into the Redlands. The colours of the Redlands Parrots are the same as Wynnum Manly. It would do wonders for rugby league in the Redlands if Wynnum Manly had a stronger connection with the city.

I would love it if the Titans became the Gold Coast Diehards. That way the Diehards brand lives on, flying the flag for the BRL and making the club relevant to people in Brisbane. The club could sell the Seagulls-Diehards merger from 88-89 to build it up as a local club, and play on the fact it went into thr BRL and won the 88 Woolies Pre Season Comp against the Scorpions, then won the 88 and 89 Winfield Cup. Build it up as Gold Coast's only successful club has returned to bring honour back to GC RL.

Last edited:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Why would Wynnum Manly want to be an NRL club?

The local people follow them for that reason - they are local, you can walk to Kougari, pay your $10 and catch up with your mates while watching the game.

Who wants to follow a club that plays interstate every second week and wouldn't be playing at Kougari when they are home? Certainly not the Wynnum supporters I know.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a Queensland Cup level club.

Why would Wynnum Manly want to be an NRL club?

The local people follow them for that reason - they are local, you can walk to Kougari, pay your $10 and catch up with your mates while watching the game.

Who wants to follow a club that plays interstate every second week and wouldn't be playing at Kougari when they are home? Certainly not the Wynnum supporters I know.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a Queensland Cup level club.
You and I like it as we remember the BRL, but 30 years from now it will all be but a footnote in the history books. I want this great club to survive and thrive. It can field teams in the Q-Cup and NRL.

With so many of the Queensland Cup clubs being based outside of Brisbane, it is hard to follow Wynnum when they're on the road. There's greater distance between Townsville and Brisbane than Sydney and Brisbane. You'll probably think I am mad but I reckon it would be better if they split the Q-Cup into a Brisbane Division and a Northern Divison, that way fans of the south-east Queensland clubs can travel to all matches involving their club. It would save money on travel.

The facilities at Kougari are in a state of limbo. The Arthur Lovell Stand cannot really be expanded as it's sandwiched between a creek and the football field, and provides no shelter from the rain. The Leagues Club prevents expansion on the other side of the ground. The Chook Pen could be expanded.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I haven't heard any Wynnum person complain about the facilities. They work fine for the crowds at Kougari.

The only away grounds that you can't reasonably drive to are in Cairns, PNG, Townsville and Rockhampton. That's four games out of 22, not every second week.

Given what has unfolded this year, there's more chance of clubs like Wynnum, Easts and Redcliffe being around in 30 years than some of the NRL ones.

I haven't heard any Wynnum person complain about the facilities. They work fine for the crowds at Kougari.

The only away grounds that you can't reasonably drive to are in Cairns, PNG, Townsville and Rockhampton. That's four games out of 22, not every second week.

Given what has unfolded this year, there's more chance of clubs like Wynnum, Easts and Redcliffe being around in 30 years than some of the NRL ones.
What about Mackay?

Tweed and Sunshine Coast are a long drive. Some people will make the effort, but people with health problems might find it too burdensome.

As time goes by and the older generations who remember the good old days of the BRL die out, the lustre of being a BRL club will decline, until they become no different to any of the other clubs in the Brisbane second division. I am 35, so I am probably at the cut off age for people who remember how great the BRL was and what Brisbane lost in 1988. I was not old enough to enjoy the competition in its hey day, but I watched what was left of it when I was a kid and have been a fan ever since. I got to see players running around in the NSWRL who played in the BRL before 88, so I knew it was a prestigious competition. Kids born today will not have this knowledge or emotional attachment, which is a huge loss to the game.

Last edited:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I don't live in the past with the BRL. The Queensland Cup is a fabulous competition with some of the tribalism of earlier years still remaining. It's mostly a corporate rather than tribal following in the NRL - everyone has to buy and where the Club gear to feel part of it.

I'm 62 and my sons are 30 and 24. They have grown up following Wynnum in the Queensland Cup and that's where their attachment lies. It is possible.

My oldest lives in the US and regularly watches the Wynnum games live online still.

I don't live in the past with the BRL. The Queensland Cup is a fabulous competition with some of the tribalism of earlier years still remaining. It's mostly a corporate rather than tribal following in the NRL - everyone has to buy and where the Club gear to feel part of it.

I'm 62 and my sons are 30 and 24. They have grown up following Wynnum in the Queensland Cup and that's where their attachment lies. It is possible.

My oldest lives in the US and regularly watches the Wynnum games live online still.
Queensland Cup is a wonderful competition. The games against Redcliffe and Easts at Kougari always have a wonderful atmosphere. The best game I ever saw was one between Wynnum and Easts. I think Cody Walker was part of it. Wynnum won with a try right on full time.

I really miss the Logan City Scorpions and Toowoomba Clydesdales. I did some research on the Scorpions at the State Library. The Logan City Council buggered the club from the start.

Souths have the worst facilities at Davies Park and bugger all parking.

Stewbum

Juniors
Hi Guys, hope you saw this release on Thursday, regarding the announcement of a Bid for a French Pacific team to enter the ISC.

Sport: New Pacific rugby league team proposed for ISC

A new Pacific Island rugby league team based in New Caledonia and Vanuatu is targeting a place in an expanded Intrust Super Cup (ISC) competition.

The Pacifique Treize Rugby League bid was officially launched this week and hopes to follow in the footsteps of the Papua New Guinea Hunters, who have been playing in the Queensland Cup since 2014.

eight_col_Pac_League_Logoz.jpg

The Pacifique XIII aims to play home matches in Noumea and Port Vila. Photo: Supplied

The 2020 ISC season was cancelled in March due to Covid-19 but the group behind the Pacifique Treize bid say their aim is to join the competition in 2023.

The six-member steering committee, which included representatives from the French Pacific, Australia and Vanuatu, had spent the past 12 months investigating the feasibility of the bid.

"We are looking forward to the engagement process with the Intrust Super Cup officials and other relevant stakeholders to meet the guidelines required for entry," said Pacifique Treize Communications Director, Laurent Garnier.

"We believe in this project and we are confident of our success. This will be a real advancement for the competition as we seek to bring a new, interesting product for the fans and we hope to engage with the Australian South Sea Islander (ASSI) community in Queensland so that we can create a great atmosphere for the fans at the away games as well as the home ones."

The Pacifique Treize bid planned to establish a close relationship with Vanuatu Rugby League and would look to play 10 home games in Noumea and two in Port Vila if they were successful in gaining entry into the ISC.

"We are very supportive of the Pacifique Treize bid and have been consulted and engaged throughout the entire process by the bid team," said the acting Vanuatu Rugby League President Antonio Korikalo.

"The Pacifique Treize bid aligns with our objectives, particularly to provide pathway opportunities for talented ni-Vanuatu into high performance programs and into semi-professional and professional playing opportunities and showcasing top level rugby league in Vanuatu.

"We are currently working on a partnership agreement to formalise our relationship and how we will jointly deliver VRL / Pacifique Treize activities in Vanuatu moving forward".

eight_col_team_pic.jpg

Vanuatu hosted Solomon Islands in Port Vila in 2016. Photo: Supplied / Ron Zwiers / Vanuatu Rugby League

The Noumea-based bid hoped that establishing an elite Intrust Super Cup side would also help to boost the development of rugby league throughout French speaking Pacific territories including New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, French Polynesia and Vanuatu, which have a combined population of almost 800,000.

The Queensland Rugby League (QRL) had previously stated their desire to expand the competition from 14 teams to 16 by 2023 and discussions with the Pacifique Treize steering committee had been ongoing since mid-2019.

"As the competition grows to 16 teams, we are confident that we can provide the added value that the league is seeking," Laurent Garnier said.

eight_col_60333690_10157405824052342_4248339808184696832_o.jpg

Noumea's Stade Numa Daly hosted the 2019 OFC Champions League final. Photo: OFC via Phototek

Pacifique Treize said they had taken inspiration from the success of PNG Hunters, who won their maiden Queensland Cup title in 2017, as well as the rise of the Toronto Wolfpack from a non-rugby league city in Canada to a place in the Super League.

The bid is also watching the progression of the Kaiviti Silktails from Fiji, who made their debut in the third tier of the New South Wales Rugby League system earlier this year.

eight_col_img_9403.jpg

The PNG Hunters have been an inspiration to the Pacifique XIII bid. Photo: PNG Hunters Media

Supporters are encouraged "register as a fan" at www.pacifique13.com to be a part of the bid journey going forward, including a competition to select the mascot and team name later this year.
What's the verdict about all these 2023 plans? Death by Plandemic or death by QRL incompetence?

The Partisan

Well obviously, 2023 didn't happen! :)

Any know what the status is now?

Can't see a 15 team Q Cup being a long-term proposition.

Brutus

Referee
What about Mackay?

Tweed and Sunshine Coast are a long drive. Some people will make the effort, but people with health problems might find it too burdensome.

As time goes by and the older generations who remember the good old days of the BRL die out, the lustre of being a BRL club will decline, until they become no different to any of the other clubs in the Brisbane second division. I am 35, so I am probably at the cut off age for people who remember how great the BRL was and what Brisbane lost in 1988. I was not old enough to enjoy the competition in its hey day, but I watched what was left of it when I was a kid and have been a fan ever since. I got to see players running around in the NSWRL who played in the BRL before 88, so I knew it was a prestigious competition. Kids born today will not have this knowledge or emotional attachment, which is a huge loss to the game.

There's always youtube.