What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs Panthers @ Bankwest Stadium

Who will win? Round 8: Wests Tigers v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fordy20

Juniors
Good luck finding it. It was the first in a number of baffling decisions from Gee last night. I didn't expect to win this one, but when the score is so close and the officiating is so poor and obviously biased, it's frustrating because it feels like the game might have been there for the taking.

Fordy20

Juniors
Good luck finding it. It was the first in a number of baffling decisions from Gee last night. I didn't expect to win this one, but when the score is so close and the officiating is so poor and obviously biased, it's frustrating because it feels like the game might have been there for the taking.

Das Hassler

Bench
So assuming BJ and Mbye are out and with Cory T gone and Jennings still unavailable? ..who do we have to fill in for either besides Benji that's played an NRL game since the trials? Chee Kam is not an answer

Tiger05

First Grade
So assuming BJ and Mbye are out and with Cory T gone and Jennings still unavailable? ..who do we have to fill in for either besides Benji that's played an NRL game since the trials? Chee Kam is not an answer

We are looking like we are in for a rough patch. We now look like a decent team but injuries can and suspensions are going to have an impact on us. I don't see Benji as an option in the centres either.

Vozzy

Juniors
We were also stunned with confusion about the Kikau tackle and Garner mystery knock on?

The commentators were to busy creaming over the hit. Panthers markers were diabolical.

In the end we lost due to shit discipline and poor 5th tackle options.

WestyLife

First Grade
You guys played well. Should be proud of the improvement. I was one of the few non Tigers fans who called it that you guys would push us hard and youll definitely play finals.

There's been a lot of talk of Tigers being robbed but bad calls went both ways. The ref was out of his depth in general and both teams got disrupted for it.

Mario chalmers

Juniors

Huge concern. We are so thin on backs. Cheekam will have to play left centre and Talau potentially right side? That leaves us short a left winger.

Jennings out long term,
Leilua at least 4 weeks out,
Mbye was barely able to run

Assuming Chee Kam does start then that leaves at least one bench spot vacant (two if McIntyre cannot back up)

Pretty sure Hoffman was playing the role of ball boy last night and he is a small dude.

It will be really difficult in the next month with so many backs out. You'd have to think there is an outside back joining us pretty soon (or at least hope so).

WA Tiger

Bench
Anyway what are we missing without Joey L a player that doesn’t pass the ball when he should mostly and the odd flourish. ..Just get a bigger forward than Chee-Kam (It doesn’t matter who) at centre to bust a few tackles and pass the ball. Not much to ask and can’t be any worse...And once again where was the captain to speak with Leilua and calm him down / and get his mind back on the job...Mbye is never there when things need fixing ..Get Benji back on the field quick.!
Injuries are the only way Madge will think outside the square so it’s a positive in a way

Last edited:
1008A9A7-756C-4992-928D-6FA10B04F437.jpeg
Edwards had nothing to say about it after the match. Respect.

19ECEB17-08FD-4751-8A0E-869567EE1DCA.jpeg
Ivan pays us back for trusting him after Gus shafted him at the panthers.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but the odd touch of colour is part and parcel of the game.

We missed a tackle, a one or two second error. That’s all it took.

We were supposed to be flogged into next season.

Adam OBrien was talking about playing footy today. Not winning, but being tough.

Last edited:

simmo05

Bench
Anyway what are we missing without Joey L a player that doesn’t pass the ball when he should mostly and the odd flourish. ..Just get a bigger forward than Chee-Kam (It doesn’t matter who) at centre to bust a few tackles and pass the ball. Not much to ask and can’t be any worse...And once again where was the captain to speak with Leilua and calm him down / and get his mind back on the job...Mbye is never there when things need fixing ..Get Benji back on the field quick.!
Injuries are the only way Madge will think outside the square so it’s a positive in a way
Is it coincidence that benji is gone and we win, or lose tough?

The unknown

Juniors
Watch the Dylan Edwards try (3rd penrith try) in slow motion. I can’t seem to link the video here but it looks like he didn’t ground it on first contact with the ground, and Talau comes over the top and knocks it loose.

Or I could just be having the Sunday hangover blues.

In saying that, absolute piss weak defense from Eisenhuth and Cheekam. Twal wouldn’t have missed that

I’d say drop them on that effort, but we’ll be flat out putting up a team next week anyway

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Is it coincidence that benji is gone and we win, or lose tough?
It’s still a win against the easy beats and a loss against tougher opposition of which there are more to come. (I don’t know about u but I can’t see either of those two halves closing out a game under pressure against stiff opposition)

Tough only takes you so far. As always Benji can create a try out of nothing regardless of who the opposition is. Makes not even the slightest of difference. In fact the tougher opposition the better. To him everyone in any apposing team is a target for humiliation.

More likely the whole team got the message and has lifted but only Benji didn’t get a second chance. He knows and agrees with what he has to do. ...and Talau joined the ranks and has put on a show. Benji will be looking on thinking “No miss out passes to Talau ...shame”

Madge says we have to take that next step to win those games. That will require class in the spine/attack. Of which only half is displaying any with the leader sidelined.

If Benji had called for that ball I bet Harry would have passed it to him. And regardless of what Harry and AD say I bet they wish he was back.

Last edited:
Watch the Dylan Edwards try (3rd penrith try) in slow motion. I can’t seem to link the video here but it looks like he didn’t ground it on first contact with the ground, and Talau comes over the top and knocks it loose.

Or I could just be having the Sunday hangover blues.

In saying that, absolute piss weak defense from Eisenhuth and Cheekam. Twal wouldn’t have missed that

I’d say drop them on that effort, but we’ll be flat out putting up a team next week anyway

I’ll have to watch it.

its ww3 out there, a lot of injuries since the rule came in. Refs are getting clobbered, bunker still making the odd bad call.

The inhuman pace of that first 20 mins, they may have to rejig the interchange and replacements for injuries.

It’s interesting, the squads are originally purchased for factory, but the game has a touch of turbo in it. Turbos go quick, but more fragile.

In theory we have some willing agile forwards but I can see the game just developing into the red zone test and a lot of meters are being eaten up in the middle. So that should give the advantage to the playmakers, the ball players, kickers. Should...(!)

But I would have warned the clubs 2 seasons earlier to give them a better chance to mould their sides.

I mean it’s fair to the extent that every club suffers, but some are really struggling. Graham couldn’t handle it.

It’s more than likely the cow bell is going to determine the finals and it’s split second decision making.

I suppose it’s an evolving game, and we are just doing ok with it, but not as good as others.

Maybe I’m old school but some good runs up the middle or tough midfield defence can be pretty exhilarating. More like a five day test.

O’Brien talking about not winning was also gallant. He’d be happy coaching us!

But massive selection challenges at the moment. Having said that, we “ partied hard “ ( with grit) and still have the upbeat momentum. It was a good game plan v Penrith. In it right until the missed tackle and gave them a good frightening.

They took the field goal because our defence was looking lethal. It was a tribute.

The dogs are barking, but the caravan rolls on.

Madge still thinks we are a top side. Thems fighting words.

Last edited:
On Saturday night, Ivan Cleary came face-to-face with the fans he walked out on for the first time since his acrimonious departure from the Wests Tigers at the end of 2018, and the rendezvous didn't disappoint.

Until Saturday's emotion-charged match at Bankwest Stadium, Cleary had avoided the wrath of his former admirers thanks to the NRL's scheduling of Magic Round last year, which saw the Tigers' home game against Penrith moved to Brisbane.

It wasn't quite what he would've experienced had last night's match been played at Leichhardt Oval, but Cleary got a reminder of just how much his departure scarred the Tigers, and in particular one irate fan who expressed his dismay through the glass of the Bankwest Stadium coaches box.

Nicholas Zorbas, a former Fox Sports News producer, was at the match with his son. When the full-time siren went, Zorbas' son turned to Cleary to give him the thumbs up. Cleary followed suit, returning a thumbs up of his own to the 12-year-old Tigers fan.

That sent Zorbas into an expletive-laden tirade, dropping F-bombs and C-bombs at Cleary that prompted the coach to point towards the scoreboard and blow kisses in the Tigers fans' direction after full-time.

"The pointing to the scoreboard, sarcastic clapping and blowing kisses was from me after I told him what I thought of the way he treated our club," Zorbas said on social media after the Tigers' 19-12 loss to Penrith.

"Think I hate Penrith more than the Bunnies and Dogs now. Was so angry at FT. We were gallant and unlucky on so many occasions - and just let fire to a person I lost all respect for after how he treated our club. Hope my boy doesn't remember some of the words I used."

"Was fed up. That ref was pathetic, the rub of the green went against us and I just really hate him and how he shafted us last season. Don't get me started on his son."

Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis chose his words more eloquently than Zorbas when the Herald contacted him on Sunday afternoon but wasn't impressed with the ex-Tigers coach's actions.

"It was unacceptable and unprofessional," Hagipantelis said. "Those of us involved in the administration of the game should not be engaging in such a manner. I don't think what Ivan did was particularly helpful. I noticed that he said after the game that he regretted doing it, so at least there was an acknowledgement that it wasn't the preferred course of conduct.

more here:
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/un...led-tigers-boss-and-fans-20200705-p55959.html

Like his passion however, I don't know what's worse, doing it in front or your 12 year son or getting your name printed in newspaper for doing it.

Tigerm

First Grade