What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Don't sack Seibold

Oh that article that states the Storms value add to FTA and Pay TV is greater then all but two teams?

You're pettiness has clouded your judgement.
Their value is in acting as a surrogate 4th Queensland team because Brisbane has been under served for 30 years. Storm average about 150k in Brisbane, which is similar to what the Cowboys and Titans get. Broncos get 173k in Brisbane. Non-Queensland teams draw 107k in Brisbane. So the Storm are drawing more viewers in Queensland than their home state. Once their Queensland connection is gone and Brisbane 2 and 3 are around they won't rate up here any more.

https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2019/10/08/2019-10-8-2019-nrl-season-by-the-numbers/

“A back-of-the-envelope estimate suggests that each club brings about $12 to $21 million in base value to the broadcast deal (under the 2019 terms of the agreement). The Broncos’ value-add is somewhere between $6 and $26 million over and above that base value. If you’ve noticed that looks like a big range, that’s why I’m not confident publishing the estimates for other clubs and that’s without trying to estimate how much of the broadcast deal is Origin and finals, rather than the regular season.”​

What this bloke is saying is the Storm’s value is unknown, at least based on the data he provided. The only team that is a proven asset is the Broncos, like them or not.

3,500 registered RL players in Victoria is shit when you consider WA has more with less than half the population and no NRL team.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
@Canard hit the nail on the head. You're scraping the bottom of the barrel if you need to go back to our first few years of existence to point out that our crowds dropped for a season or two.

The fact is the club now has over 22k members (Would have surpassed 25k yet again if not for COVID). Now if you told me that 10 years ago I'd have laughed. 15 years ago, channel 9 wouldn't show NRL until about 11.30pm. Now it's on at prime time with healthy ratings. How is this not good for Rugby League?

I don't get why you and so many are desperate to see the Storm fail off the field. It would be of detriment to the competition. The fact an NRL club has made a serious impression in AFL heartland should be celebrated not ridiculed.

I lived in Melbourne last year and was so shocked that you were booted to non HD GEM. I think Melbourne do ok all things considering. The office didn’t even know the season was starting and then didn’t even know when the finals were on. Come September they were talking about Richmond, Collingwood and the ole Fitzroy/Brisbane charge.

I want Melbourne to fail on the field only, a national league in Australia without a Melbourne based team would be pretty ridiculous. Plus it’s fun having a club that we beat twice every decade! It’s all shenanigans.

moffla

Bench
I lived in Melbourne last year and was so shocked that you were booted to non HD GEM. I think Melbourne do ok all things considering. The office didn’t even know the season was starting and then didn’t even know when the finals were on. Come September they were talking about Richmond, Collingwood and the ole Fitzroy/Brisbane charge.

I want Melbourne to fail on the field only, a national league in Australia without a Melbourne based team would be pretty ridiculous. Plus it’s fun having a club that we beat twice every decade! It’s all shenanigans.
Yeah, gaining attention in the saturated AFL market down here can be a battle at times.
It's slowly starting to evolve where we are many people's "second" team (after their AFL side) - so when there is no clash they'll get around it.

This is the case with a few of my mates who will come to a Storm game provided it doesn't coincide with Richmond, Collingwood or whoever they support playing. I think that's how Storm should be marketed down here because its pointless trying to compete with that code

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The storm are important for the game but I think everyone wouldn't mind them copping a few bad seasons. I hope they continue to succeed off the field.

According to a thread on a large Broncos forum it seems they confirmed seibold doesn't have any performance clauses in his contract at the AGM the Broncos just had

That's gonna be a pretty nice payout for seibold when they sack him...

If they sack him this year and pay him out then everyone who was involved in signing him should go too

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst the game will survive, of course it will, with big clubs at the bottom it does impact it in some ways. But that's sport for you.
The pressure should be on the clubs that are having success to fill that void by packing out their stadiums (when they can!) and being more appealing to tv audiences. If you look at top 6 then you can argue Raiders, Roosters and Panthers are the ones who you'd hope would be better. Of course with no crowds this years its unfair to judge I suppose.
I see Fox NRL audience is up 17% this year (STV and KAYO combined) so its not all bad news!

Canard

Immortal
Yeah, gaining attention in the saturated AFL market down here can be a battle at times.
It's slowly starting to evolve where we are many people's "second" team (after their AFL side) - so when there is no clash they'll get around it.

This is the case with a few of my mates who will come to a Storm game provided it doesn't coincide with Richmond, Collingwood or whoever they support playing. I think that's how Storm should be marketed down here because its pointless trying to compete with that code

I've been here near on a Decade now, and consistently surprised by the impact the Storm have, you see Storm jerseys and supporter gear around a fair bit, and as you say they are most Vic's second team after there AFL team. Bizarrely, the salary cap scandal galvanised Vics behind the Storm, and ended up being the best thing for them. All the bullshit conspiracy theories held by people on LU about the Storm getting special treatment, are mirrored in reverse by the more hardcore Storm fans who reckon they get a dud deal.

I was always told then when Union came to Melbourne, watch out the Storm would die, but the Rebels have been a wet fart in terms of fans in Melbourne, and look like they might be going extinct soon.

I also find the argument that people run with expansion/new teams of "only supporters, like me, of other teams go to there games", so f**king what? Isn't providing an outlet for people to see and spend money on NRL a good thing? And who knows they might start to become there second team, or their kids become supporters.

I'm not a Melbourne fan by any means, f**king hate them to be honest.

But to say the NRL is rigged to ensure success of one club, is tinfoil hat conspiracy shit. End of.
But it is when you look into the detail. Broncos get the best turnarounds each week, whereas their opponents usually have a day or 2 less to rest and prepare.

Certain clubs are the recipients of favourable calls routinely, while others are almost always
dudded.

Look at the shit calls that have gone against Manly the last few years at crucial stages. They are also one of the lower drawing teams. Titans, Tigers, Warriors and Cowboys cop it too.

Brisbane and Melbourne are routinely given favourable calls, especially when they need them most. It would be insane to believe this is all just coincidental.

The storm are important for the game but I think everyone wouldn't mind them copping a few bad seasons. I hope they continue to succeed off the field.

According to a thread on a large Broncos forum it seems they confirmed seibold doesn't have any performance clauses in his contract at the AGM the Broncos just had

That's gonna be a pretty nice payout for seibold when they sack him...

If they sack him this year and pay him out then everyone who was involved in signing him should go too
Paul White and Darren Lockyer should resign.