What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Don't sack Seibold

The players weren't putting in an effort. Many of them need to go.

Thats right, the wrong mindset especially when things got a bit tough.

There’s an argument that motivation is one of the key aspects of a coaches job, but I think he or she can only largely produce based on raw material.

A few exceptions. Bennett and Bellamy over long periods. Robbo has claims in some aspects. Their season was ruined by injury, let’s be sure about that. Rads and Verills are brilliant talent, Cordner looks like the walking dead and Keary is on his way out early.I’m afraid that no amount of motivation can lift that squad next year. Sonnys big comeback was a gamble that didn’t pay off. Everyone enjoyed his failure, but some kid got overlooked for this wretched circus.

If I am running a club, I’m hiring a shrink to work out the best way of approaching individual players.

Modern players are quite sophisticated, there’s no one size fits all. Society doesn’t have the same common values as it used to. A few noble sacred cows and that’s it.

I’ve noticed that when Bennett speaks to the press, he changes the dynamics. He switches the play. He puts the press on trial. He can do it, because he’s the smartest and sharpest in the room.

And the scary thing is, he just sets the bar even higher each season.

Last edited:
hahaha! The best description I've heard of Kev.

Yeah I can just see him at the family gathering red faced, stubby in one hand with black Torana hotrod t shirt, gut hanging out, stumbling his way over to the bbq where he sees his snags almost burnt on one side and pinky raw on the other.

Pouring the beer over the grill and sucking in the aromatic fumes, closing his eyes, shaking his head. Paradise.

His “ stronger together” introductory speech was a classic. Almost Churchillian in delivery as he burped and gagged his way through it.

Kevvie is an qld cultural icon. It matters not if he can coach.

We are all better for his sacrifice to heal the wounds.

Last edited:

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Souths under Madge were going backwards. Seibold came in and got them humming. Bennett is the one riding coattails in the Souths job and reaping the benefits.

Yes they were going backwards because their egos got in the way of discipline and halfway through the season Seibold saw an opportunity to plant seeds of unrest. He still was riding the coat tails of what Maguire had built. Had he had any longer with Souths they would be back down in the bottom 4 where they belong

Yes they were going backwards because their egos got in the way of discipline and halfway through the season Seibold saw an opportunity to plant seeds of unrest. He still was riding the coat tails of what Maguire had built. Had he had any longer with Souths they would be back down in the bottom 4 where they belong

...Which is why Souths spent 8 months trying to get him to sign for another 3 years.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
The Souths players bought into his ways.

Saw the game as some kind of physics exercise v chess.

The Souths players knuckled down and did their homework.

He took his books up to Brisbane and the players were struggling to spell their name on the inside cover.

Trying to make a point by saying Souths players were smart isn't going to work sorry

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
If you ignore everything else im happy to not see him tv getting interviewed anymore so i dont have to scream "ffs just clear your throat!!"

Thought those were gone when brian smith left

Smart enough to listen to Seibs and come third.

I think the difference with Souths was that they had him as an assistant for a couple of years under Maguire. The players had been exposed to his methods and knew what he was about. They’d had a chance to ease in to his methodology.

The Broncos went from 1 extreme to another in one off season and ok, sure you could argue that Souths did the opposite with Bennett but Bennett’s methods are more orthodox and would be closer to what Souths players were used to before Seibold.

I think the difference with Souths was that they had him as an assistant for a couple of years under Maguire. The players had been exposed to his methods and knew what he was about. They’d had a chance to ease in to his methodology.

The Broncos went from 1 extreme to another in one off season and ok, sure you could argue that Souths did the opposite with Bennett but Bennett’s methods are more orthodox and would be closer to what Souths players were used to before Seibold.

I can’t 100% agree because over time the “vacant” broncos lot had a couple of years to ease into Seibs style, even if they were initially shocked and awed with his “project resilience” training methods.

Then they actually got worse over time as was kindly pointed out. They kind of “eased out” of Seibs and by the end of last season, were a complete rabble.

The finals game against the saints was the pinnacle of the Seibs nrl effort. The game was lost for sure and certain until “ seibism” kicked in, the goals came and the defence set to deny the brave yet befuddled dragons their day in the sun.

There was the wrong pass thrown at the end, I put that down to fatigue and panic but you had to think that even if the pass was right, the Souths defence would somehow have managed to nail the winger.

Perhaps ( see below) Seibs mistake was to leave the rabbits too early. He was living the f**king dream, rising star and all that. That club made him massive offers over at least 8 months and he kept them at bay until Bennett was sorted up there.

There’s been a lot of public speculation as to whether or not he was cutting Madge’s grass in the final year/s. I don’t know. Bold statements made by heavy hitters, but looking at it rationally, for better or worse the Madge/Seibs combo was toxic.

It would have been pretty interesting to attend the Seibs interview at Souths and why he thought he could do a better job than Madge, you would think he would have provided examples of Madge’s decisions he differed from but was over ruled. I doubt he was malicious or rude, he’s an educated professional, just factual as he saw it.

All that said, Seibs did a wonderful job coaching Souths, regardless of the reasons, the record shows they were right to appoint him.

And I think Madge is enjoying some comfort at the Tigers. He’s not chasing past glories, he’s in repair and build mode after inheriting a shambles thanks to past coaches and poor officialdom. He’s well liked and about to be offered a fat contract. He’s not dictator at WT either. We have our own Richos etc. Madge is answerable to our officialdom, forget what you’ve read, he doesn’t control recruitment.

I’m more than confident, Seibs will be back in a head coaching role one day. To the earlier point, his plan to take on the broncos was maybe one or two years premature. But I can’t condemn him entirely because from his side, does he risk the bunnies having a worse season the following year and he loses some gloss? It’s possible. Coming 3rd in your first year as coach, 63% win ratio....bloody impressive. Hard to repeat. Almost unheard of. Most people would see that as a fair springboard for the plumb Bronco assignment and the rivers of gold that flow freely up there.

If it’s at the Tigers, to be honest, I’d be ok. If Madge doesn’t work out, we could do a lot worser. I’m not sure if Madge would like it!

Last edited:

Latest posts