What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Gone?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shonky

'The new owner would make good on the franchise’s missed payrolls. Argyle had personally guaranteed the pay owed but is not in a position to make good on that promise.'

resources are up,Twiggy forest has just made himself another $1bill into his bank account, why is Argyle crying poor?

Perth Tiger

Bench
Shonky

'The new owner would make good on the franchise’s missed payrolls. Argyle had personally guaranteed the pay owed but is not in a position to make good on that promise.'

resources are up,Twiggy forest has just made himself another $1bill into his bank account, why is Argyle crying poor?

so you rationale is because 1 person on the otherside of the world, in 1 of if not the least affected area in the world, has made money then everyone should be doing well. :rolleyes:

That is about as consistent as you other arguments around this forum

Perth Red

Post Whore
so you rationale is because 1 person on the otherside of the world, in 1 of if not the least affected area in the world, has made money then everyone should be doing well. :rolleyes:

That is about as consistent as you other arguments around this forum

What resources is Argyle in? Its not one person, its the resource sector doing ok, Twiggy was just one example I read about in this morning s paper.
He was touted as a mining billionaire but now after spending a few mill he cant cover a couple of hundred grand in wages? He personally guaranteed it.
Shonky.

Perth Red

Post Whore
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/tony-smith-toronto-super-league-4463615.amp

get those tears ready @Perth Red

They should just poach any decent player from KR since they now have a million dollar hole in their budget they will be struggling to pay players next year.

If they are back in next year under decent ownership that pays it players and has a more sustainable financial plan then that will be great. We are seemingly a long way from that though.

I'm not sure Neil's objections (other than the Wolfpacks shonkiness) to be honest as we benefit from a larger SL grant if Toronto are in with no payment!

Pommy

Coach
If they are back in next year under decent ownership that pays it players and has a more sustainable financial plan then that will be great. We are seemingly a long way from that though.

I'm not sure Neil's objections (other than the Wolfpacks shonkiness) to be honest as we benefit from a larger SL grant if Toronto are in with no payment!

Surely a sustainable business mode would require central funding, there’s no reason they shouldn’t get it other than the other teams being shonky and self serving.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely a sustainable business mode would require central funding, there’s no reason they shouldn’t get it other than the other teams being shonky and self serving.

You would think so!

The clubs theory is that as Sky pay the grant and Toronto dont add any subscribers to Sky, they arent contributing to the value of the TV deal. Its a self serving theory but hard to argue against unless Toronto are so exciting a prospect that UK RL fans are buying sky subscriptions to be able to watch them play.

Pommy

Coach
You would think so!

The clubs theory is that as Sky pay the grant and Toronto dont add any subscribers to Sky, they arent contributing to the value of the TV deal. Its a self serving theory but hard to argue against unless Toronto are so exciting a prospect that UK RL fans are buying sky subscriptions to be able to watch them play.

Yet Catalan get money, so that’s a load of rubbish.
Had Covid not happened having someone like SBW ain’t the league would have only brought good attention. You will dispute that the club would have been viable even without covid but just pretend it was.
It’s just so short sighted Toronto has to be a better look for sponsors (for all teams) than Featherstone. I’ve nothing against them but I’m from the north and I don’t actually know where it is, it’s just that insignificant.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yet Catalan get money, so that’s a load of rubbish.
Had Covid not happened having someone like SBW ain’t the league would have only brought good attention. You will dispute that the club would have been viable even without covid but just pretend it was.
It’s just so short sighted Toronto has to be a better look for sponsors (for all teams) than Featherstone. I’ve nothing against them but I’m from the north and I don’t actually know where it is, it’s just that insignificant.

you could argue catalans at least help the international game, in theory.

The Great Dane

First Grade
What resources is Argyle in?
Mining in Brazil.

Last I heard he was working for/with Brazil Potash, which is a fertiliser company in Brasil. Basically they mine salt that is high in potassium then sell it as fertiliser to the agricultural industry.

Mining (or any resource industry) in Brasil is a shitshow at the best of times, with tribal land rights and ecological issues and constant political interference and corruption, add the rona on top and how it's hit Brasil and it must be a total nightmare at the moment.

Pommy

Coach
you could argue catalans at least help the international game, in theory.

I fancy Toronto could have developed a following and Taken Canada to a World Cup final before Catalans help France to get their shit together.

Pommy

Coach
how would They do that without any Canadian players?

The pace France are going children being born in Toronto today could be the parents of that World Cup team. Much more likely than France doing anything meaningful.

also it’s not like there isn’t junior league being played in the Toronto area, clearly that’s not going to start producing SL players today.

Perth Red

Post Whore
D-day looms for the latest failed expansion attempt

Toronto chairman and chief executive Bob Hunter has been in talks with four prospective bidders and says the front runner is a North American businessman who was an original investor of the Wolfpack in 2016.

"As per the documentation requested by Super League, we've been working diligently and quickly to try to pull that together on a recommended ownership group," Hunter said.

"That deadline is next Tuesday and we fully intend to have absolutely the lion's share of that material in their hands by then.

"If we need an extension, we'll ask for it but right now we're focused on getting it done on time.

"Following that, they will take the appropriate time to study it and I am sure come back with questions."

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-lea...r-league-deadline-for-readmission-application

Perth Red

Post Whore
Local entrepreneur Carlo LiVolsi is the potential buyer looking to revive the financially troubled Toronto Wolfpack.

Team officials confirmed that LiVolsi is the proposed new owner who was introduced to Super League officials earlier this week. Previously the transatlantic rugby league club had only said the potential buyer is a Canadian who had been part of the original ownership group.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby/toronto-wolfpack-carlo-livolsi-1.5714548

Perth Red

Post Whore
It sets an interesting precedent, up to now being unable to fulfill your fixtures has led to relegation, going into administration has led to significant penalties. If they're let back in then be interesting to see what happens to the next club that gets into financial strife.

Last club in this situation where Bradford who were given a 6 point deduction for financial instability and it ended up costing them relegation. A position they have never recovered from.

Perth Tiger

Bench
It sets an interesting precedent, up to now being unable to fulfill your fixtures has led to relegation, going into administration has led to significant penalties. If they're let back in then be interesting to see what happens to the next club that gets into financial strife.

Last club in this situation where Bradford who were given a 6 point deduction for financial instability and it ended up costing them relegation. A position they have never recovered from.

They have the excuse of COVID to say these are pretty unique times

Pommy

Coach

It only sets a precedent if you want it to. You can’t compare the Toronto and Bradford situations unless you’re just anti Toronto.
Say Toronto were relegated who do you promote in any fair way?

Latest posts