What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Chipmunk

Coach
I don’t get this logic?
Most also said our roster isn’t anywhere near the roosters yet we went out the same week and finished ahead of them in the regular season....
I think it’s underestimated how strong the Penrith lineup is.
But at full strength I think we match it with both Penrith and Souths!

Well the Roosters do have a better squad, but they won't be happy with their result and people will be sacked as a result. Will we do the same?

Panthers have some solid players, but there is no way they have any better Top 13 than us, and I would say the same about the current team South's is puting on the field.

We have a big fall away outside of the Top 13 though I will admit and our bench on the weekend was just bottom 4 material.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So why is the board seemingly reacting to our straights sets exit? Maybe you should send them a memo too, that they’re expectations are to high.
I don't think the club is reacting to one or two games, they are making decisions based on the season as a whole. Just like they wouldn't have been counting their chickens at the mid-point of the season they won't be slashing their wrists now. We are on the improve, but not yet up there with the elite clubs. Eels management will be taking steps to improve our football operations, and the media will report it with maximum drama and bullshit because that's what the majority of dopey NRL fans like to see.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I read an article which stated BA has been instructed to work closely with O'Neill to sort out the issues and to get things on the right track or words to that effect.
It implys that there is a disconnect between the two or simply the old "BA does the coaching and reports directly to the CEO" statement made by Bernie upon O'Neill's appointment is now not the case. Of cause it could also be BS reporting. I always thought it was weird not having the Head Coach reporting to the HoF and the reason it was stated categorically by The Bern. Im probably just a suspicious bast*rd.
Or maybe you just like a nice big dose of conflict and drama in your NRL reporting? I used to when I was 15, and I'm sure I will again when I'm your age.

Joely01

Bench
Well the Roosters do have a better squad, but they won't be happy with their result and people will be sacked as a result. Will we do the same?

Panthers have some solid players, but there is no way they have any better Top 13 than us, and I would say the same about the current team South's is puting on the field.

We have a big fall away outside of the Top 13 though I will admit and our bench on the weekend was just bottom 4 material.

We will find out on the sackings, I think moving 11 on is a good start to that, so I would suggest we are doing the same as the Roosters!

I think we do have as good a 13 as Penrith full strength. But take both wingers, a Centre (on game day) and a bench forward away from Penrith this weekend and they would lose the game as well!

Agreed on the bench, I Reckon with the release of so many players we are going to fix that issue in the off season

Chipmunk

Coach
We will find out on the sackings, I think moving 11 on is a good start to that, so I would suggest we are doing the same as the Roosters!

I think we do have as good a 13 as Penrith full strength. But take both wingers, a Centre (on game day) and a bench forward away from Penrith this weekend and they would lose the game as well!

Agreed on the bench, I Reckon with the release of so many players we are going to fix that issue in the off season

Oh C'mon, only one was a Top 17 player, none were Top 13. 11 players is over 35% of the squad, but those 11 would be lucky to take up collectively 15% of our salary cap. We have to fill them with another 11 players, who will take up a minimum of 10% of the salary cap, leaving 5% or less than 500k to play with.

Chipmunk

Coach

Souths didn't seem to be too impacted by their first choice Fullback and both first choice Centres not in their team against us. I'd be surprised if the end result would've been too different if we were at full strength.

Joely01

Bench
Oh C'mon, only one was a Top 17 player, none were Top 13. 11 players is over 35% of the squad, but those 11 would be lucky to take up collectively 15% of our salary cap. We have to fill them with another 11 players, who will take up a minimum of 10% of the salary cap, leaving 5% or less than 500k to play with.

So that’s not a good start to the clean out? Goodness me, nah let’s sack 4 players mid contract and stuff our salary cap once again.
The point is with those 11 going there is room to improve what most are saying is needed, the bench!
And really the best benches are the ones that have guys on the cheap, playing better then their price tag says!
I think it’s a positive step, the club know we need to improve our depth talent, and made the call to do so!

Chipmunk

Coach
So that’s not a good start to the clean out? Goodness me, nah let’s sack 4 players mid contract and stuff our salary cap once again.
The point is with those 11 going there is room to improve what most are saying is needed, the bench!
And really the best benches are the ones that have guys on the cheap, playing better then their price tag says!
I think it’s a positive step, the club know we need to improve our depth talent, and made the call to do so!

My point is that really with the exception of one player, we will have to buy 10 players they we hope don't get close to getting a game.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think the biggest issue is that very few, if any experts, had either Souths or Panthers winning the comp, or finishing ahead of us on the ladder. If Souths or Panthers win the comp with the players they've got on the field at the moment, then the Parra team and fans should be very very disappointed with how we've gone this season.
Their pack was underrated (despite Cook and Murray). Their backline is all class, even without Mitchell and Roberts. With those two in the team they have the best backline in the NRL.

Panthers surprised me. Nathan Cleary is twice the player he was last year, plus the new rules suit their style. Either that or Ivan Cleary is suddenly a coaching genius. But let's not forget, at this stage they've won as many matches as we have in the past two years. Also as many finals wins. That win over the Roosters was Cleary's first finals win since 2014, when Penrith also beat the Roosters by one point.

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
It was only 9 players from the top 30, so actually 30% (Heleta and Schneider were dev players).
Of the 9 that we didn't want, ask yourself 2 questions:
1) would they win us a grand final?
2) would Storm or Roosters sign them into their top 17?

Evans - No and Maybe
Gower - No and No
Taka - No and No
Field - No and No
Davies - No and No
Davis - No and No
Stefano - No and No
Salmon - No and Maybe
Terepo - No and No

So we needed to let them go if the plan is to strengthen our squad and particularly 14-17.
The challenge now is getting players who will either win us a grand final (a match winner/game breaker) or at least be good enough to be pushing for a top 17 role at one of the top clubs.

I don't think we will get 9 of these types of players.
I think we will offer top 30 contracts to 2 players we want for 2022, (plus Sam Hughes) and that we want to lock in now at a cheaper price and we will look to add 6 more players to our squad.

Opacic is one.
5 to go.

*edited to change Salmon and Evans to Maybe

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Souths didn't seem to be too impacted by their first choice Fullback and both first choice Centres not in their team against us.
Doesn't that just mean they have better depth? I'd be tempted to sign Corey Allan for 2022 so we can move Gutherson into the halves.
I'd be surprised if the end result would've been too different if we were at full strength.
Given they tore our left side apart I'd say the loss of Mennings was enormous. The commentators mentioned our lack of go forward out of the backfield, so Ferguson would have helped there, and obviously our lack of forward depth meant Niukore was significantly missed. Gennings easily replaced Sivo though.

Chipmunk

Coach
It was only 9 players from the top 30, so actually 30% (Heleta and Schneider were dev players).
Of the 9 that we didn't want, ask yourself 2 questions:
1) would they win us a grand final?
2) would Storm or Roosters sign them into their top 17?

Evans - No and Maybe
Gower - No and No
Taka - No and No
Field - No and No
Davies - No and No
Davis - No and No
Stefano - No and No
Salmon - No and No
Terepo - No and No

So we needed to let them go if the plan is to strengthen our squad and particularly 14-17.
The challenge now is getting players who will either win us a grand final (a match winner/game breaker) or at least be good enough to be pushing for a top 17 role at one of the top clubs.

I don't think we will get 9 of these types of players.
I think we will offer top 30 contracts to 2 players we want for 2022, (plus Sam Hughes) and that we want to lock in now at a cheaper price and we will look to add 6 more players to our squad.

Opacic is one.
5 to go.

I suggest that 6 of those 9 took up mInimum wage or even rookie deals in the salary cap and that Terepo, Taka and Evans took up $700k tops combined.

We have 11 slots remaining, I suspect that Smith, Gennings and Stone if they stay will take up Min wage deals. Meaning 8 positions with $1.2 million to spend, with $800k min spend.

So that leaves $400k total to spend on players above a minimum wage or rookie (27-30) deal.

If Opacic is on more than min wage, you can take anything he gets above the minimum from the $400k

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I suggest that 6 of those 9 took up the bottom 6 positions in the salary cap and that Terepo, Taka and Evans took up $700k tops combined.

We have 11 slots remaining, I suspect that Smith, Gennings and Stone if they stay will take up Min wage deals. Meaning 8 positions with $1.2 million to spend, with $800k min spend.

So that leaves $400k total to spend on players above a minimum wage or rookie (27-30) deal.
Yep I don't see us having much to spend for 2021, but we can start recruiting for 2022 in a couple of weeks, and there will be a few merkins off contract, including Ferguson, Sivo, Nrown and Alvaro. There'd be about $1.5M in that lot.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yep I don't see us having much to spend for 2021, but we can start recruiting for 2022 in a couple of weeks, and there will be a few merkins off contract, including Ferguson, Sivo, Nrown and Alvaro. There'd be about $1.5M in that lot.

Unfortunately I also suspect we will carry Mennings and his salary for the whole of 2021 whilst he takes all avenues to clear his name.

Latest posts