What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erin Molan

blue bags

First Grade
broncos coach sebold has been smashed on social ,media, and his family, with death threats and all sorts of trash, thats why all the dramas in the last 2 weeks with broncos

blue bags

First Grade
'I wish you a stillborn': Troll sent Erin Molan vile messages about her unborn baby while she was pregnant - before an intruder broke into her home leaving her fearing for her life
  • Erin Molan has spoken out about vile trolls which made her fear for her safety
  • One troll in particular said he wished she would deliver a stillborn baby
  • Molan revealed she often ignored misogynistic and abusive comments
  • She wants trolls to receive tougher sentences to act as a deterrent to others
By BRITTANY CHAIN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 22:18 AEDT, 11 October 2020 | UPDATED: 23:37 AEDT, 11 October 2020

Erin Molan once feared a troll who wished her and her baby dead had broken into her home in the middle of the night to attack her.

The Channel Nine sports presenter, best known for her role with the NRL, has long been the victim of online trolling but said it was comments about her unborn daughter, Eliza, which pushed her to campaign against bullying.

She is urging police to take a tougher stance against trolls, and said prosecuting 'just five of them' would be enough to end the majority of online abuse.
Prior to Eliza's birth in 2018, Molan revealed she often ignored misogynistic and abusive comments made about her online.

During an interview with 60 Minutes, the 38-year-old said she was forced to stop reading NRL websites because of the constant stream of bullying.

'Every single one was either that I was a woman, that I was ugly, that I looked like a sl*t, that I'd never played the game, that I belong in the kitchen,' she said.

'About different footballers that I've had dalliances with, about bosses at Channel 9 that I must have slept with. It's just vile.'

But one troll in particular 'took it too far' by sending her a message which read 'I wish you a f**king stillborn and you die in the process, hip, hip, hooray'.

The message took her to 'some pretty dark places,' Molan revealed.

'It just really hurts.'

Molan revealed that her older sister suffered a stillbirth in the years prior to her own pregnancy, leading her to have a 'pretty anxious' wait for the birth of her daughter.

'She carried a beautiful little girl to full term and to watch her bury that little child... It really impacted me.'

After the vile comments, Molan said she was at home in bed one night when she heard something which 'sounded like a window smashing' about 2am.

She immediately thought the troll had somehow figured out her address and broken into her home to carry out the threats he'd made online.

Prior to Eliza's birth in 2018, Molan revealed she often ignored misogynistic and abusive comments made about her online

'I thought he was just going to try to do what he said he was going to do to my baby... So I went to the police.'

Molan had nothing but praise for the police involved, but said they needed to be given more powers to prosecute.

Molan said harsher sentences need to be introduced to act as a deterrent to other trolls

At present, they need to collect a portfolio of comments, and the one threat made against her baby wasn't enough.

Eventually, the abuse continued to build.

The perpetrator, who was revealed to be a young father of girls, was eventually tracked down and arrested, becoming a rare example of an online troll who was successfully convicted.

He received a suspended sentence.

Molan said harsher sentences need to be introduced to act as a deterrent to other trolls.

Former Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Seibold appeared on the segment to discuss his own experience with trolls, which led him to quit his role with the club earlier this year.

He said the vile rumours made about him online effectively ruined his reputation and were damaging to his wellbeing, particularly the ones targeted at his young daughter.

The Channel Nine sports presenter, best known for her role with the NRL , has long been the victim of online trolling but said it was comments about her unborn daughter, Eliza, which pushed her to campaign against bullying

ADVERTISEMENT
Share or comment on this article:
Erin Molan reveals the evil messages and threats against her baby sent by trolls https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...essages-threats-against-baby-sent-trolls.html

johns_reds

First Grade
Daily Mail Lawyers can show she has participated in "racist" behavior in previous podcasts.. this will be quite an interesting court case

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...t/news-story/a133b8a110fd5289d5af79c5fb130103

EXCLUSIVE

The Daily Mail has hit back ferociously at Erin Molan’s defamation lawsuit, raking through several years of rugby league podcasts in a bid to prove in court that the sports presenter is racist.

Among the comments the media outlet has plucked from 2GB’s Continuous Call Team archive and quoted in its defence are Molan saying “You like raw feesh?”, “Pick up your chopsticks” and “I wuv you wery long time”.

The 61-page bombshell truth defence references the Nine star’s co-hosts, alleging the Continuous Call Team frequently spouted “racist content” on the show by mocking Pacific Islander and Maori names and emulating Chinese, Indian and other accents.

Molan’s lawyer told NCA NewsWire in a statement: “Ms Molan has commenced proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia for defamatory allegations made about her by the Daily Mail.

“Those allegations, now repeated by the Daily Mail in its defence, are denied. It would be inappropriate to comment further as the matter is before the court.”

Molan alleges in her statement of claim that the Daily Mail painted her as a racist and an “arrogant white woman of privilege” in a story about her saying “hooka looka mooka hooka fooka” on air in June.

She has said repeatedly she was not mocking Polynesian names and it was a reference to a past Continuous Call Team story about Chris and Ray Warren.

The Daily Mail’s defence, filed on Monday, contains transcripts of 24 conversations on Continuous Call Team dating back to March 2017 involving Molan and past and present co-hosts Ray Hadley, Bob Fulton, Darryl Brohman and others.

Among the excerpts is the April 1, 2017, broadcast in which Hadley says, “And now, why don’t we have a conversation with Darryl doing his Chinese and Erin doing her Chinese?”

“Herro, I wery goo lookin,” Molan said, according to the defence.

“Just do one for me, ‘I love you long time’, just do that for me,” Hadley said.

“I wuv you wery long tiyme, wery handsome man, ohhh, you like to walk with me in a cercle,” Ms Molan said.

In another excerpt in the defence on March 17, 2018, Hadley tells a story about women in Japan giving birth.

“You like raw feesh,” Molan said. “Sorry, was that racist?”

“Yeah … it wasn’t good,” Fulton said.

“Was it really? No it wasn’t, ’cause they do,” Molan said.

The Daily Mail has hit back after Erin Molan sued the outlet for a story she claims portrayed her as racist. Picture: Christian GillesSource:News Corp Australia

According to the defence, Molan sometimes participated in the conversations and at other times laughed along, stayed silent, or asked “in a humorous fashion” whether what had been said was racist.

In another excerpt from August 24, 2019, Brohman declares he is going to release a Chinese cookbook.

“Gonna put a big nappy on so I look like a sumo and say, ‘Come and get it! Big Marn’s Chinese Cookbook!’,” he said, according to the defence.

“Herro! That’s gonna be the name of the book,” Brohman said later.

“I just don’t know if this is OK now in this day and age,” Molan said.

“Oh, who cares,” Fulton said.

Later in the conversation, the defence quotes Molan as saying “Now we’re all talking like ohhh … you no … bad boy … you naughty … dwop your pen … pick up your chopstick” in an accent.

“Can I just throw something in here? Do we like working here? I don’t think we’re gonna have a big chance of being here next year,” Fulton said.

“I know we like to toe the line but this might be like a whole heel over the line,” Molan said.

“No, no, we’re right,” Mark Levy said.

The defence also includes a transcript from March 18, 2017, in which Brohman put on several accents, including Irish, American, Chinese, Japanese, and Indian, and Molan said: “Someone will write in now and say we’re being racist. I think it’s hilarious.”

The defence also includes transcripts of Brohman recounting the story about Chris and Ray Warren that Molan said she was referencing with her original comment.

“It was last year at a Manly game and they had a reserve that I hadn’t seen before, but he had a name with about 30 letters in it, and I had trouble pronouncing it, and I said to Chris, ‘Mate, how do you pronounce this bloke’s name?’” Brohman said on April 5, 2020.

“He said, ‘Well, Dad thought his name was Chooka-lucka-loo-loo, but I said no, no, no, Dad, I think it’s Chooka-lucka-loo-loo-loo-loo.’”

Audio of the conversations remain publicly available online.

In the defence, the Daily Mail claims these conversations prove Molan is racist, or that in an alternative defence of contextual truth she engaged in racist behaviour and conduct likely to offend people on the basis of their race or ethnicity.

The outlet has also filed a defence of honest opinion.

Molan also accused the Daily Mail of falsely stating she refused to apologise when she had in fact apologised on air.

In the defence, the media outlet said it was not “a true apology” and she had “simply stated that if people ‘in the current climate’ had been offended or hurt by her that she was sorry”.

The court documents reveal Molan’s solicitors asked the Daily Mail for an apology on August 26.

She claims the media outlet generated a wave of further abuse in which she was labelled a “racist bitch” by former NRL player John Hopoate.

Each side of the hostile brawl has hired a top-tier barrister, with Molan represented by Sandy Dawson SC and the Daily Mail by Bruce McClintock SC.

The matter is due for a first court hearing on Friday.

mongoose

Coach
The entire Rugby League media needs a clean out to be honest. Too many dinosaur boofheads who are not even insightful or intelligent.
Considering the game is played by 50% polynesian heritage now they should probably be more represented on these TV and radio shows.

Molan is awful too by the way.

AJB1102

First Grade
Prior to Eliza's birth in 2018, Molan revealed she often ignored misogynistic and abusive comments made about her online

So she used to handle it like an adult and give it zero oxygen like it deserved. Now she boosts her profile and lets trolls know she's good for a reaction.

As someone who hasn't watched c9 in years I wouldn't know she existed without this crap. If your livelihood relies on people knowing of you then no publicity is bad publicity I guess.

Mr Spock!

Referee
So the right wing Daily Mail is now 'woke'?

Can't stand either of these 2.

What Erin Moran knows about nrl she could write on a postage stamp.

AJB1102

First Grade
Erin was plucked from the obscurity of local Canberra news to work in Sydney. Obviously has some talent. Could read the news or report on location no worries I'm sure.

But a wind blew through c9 that made them desperate for a female face of footy. It's not Erin's fault they propelled her into that role.

Not sure about now but I always felt she tried to know and like footy but it's not a passion and that came across.

Like your mrs who couldn't give a f**k and watched none of it but because you love it she'll ask "did we win, babe?" and then feign happy or sad depending on result.

You appreciate the sentiment but if you told em round 6 is actually more important than a prelim they'd believe you and spruik it any time "footy" came up in conversation.

blue bags

First Grade
How do these girls get these footy gigs?

That other blonde bimbo on 9 is an embarrassment. (not the big one)
she played the game to the higher standard , she is a high school teacher as well
your being a bit harsh on her, i feel

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
Fast Forward and the Benny Hill Show used race humour in their acts back in the 80s.

Greg Ritchie used the Mahatma Cote and Fatima Pants act in the 90s.

When did that sort of thing become offensive?

I don't think it is racist.
love thy neighbor TV show, con the fruitier
what about the 12 man comedy act, he made a career out of it, millions of dollars in sales of records. comedy acts , about cricket, he very popular

Last edited:
Daily Mail Lawyers can show she has participated in "racist" behavior in previous podcasts.. this will be quite an interesting court case

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...t/news-story/a133b8a110fd5289d5af79c5fb130103

EXCLUSIVE

The Daily Mail has hit back ferociously at Erin Molan’s defamation lawsuit, raking through several years of rugby league podcasts in a bid to prove in court that the sports presenter is racist.

Among the comments the media outlet has plucked from 2GB’s Continuous Call Team archive and quoted in its defence are Molan saying “You like raw feesh?”, “Pick up your chopsticks” and “I wuv you wery long time”.

The 61-page bombshell truth defence references the Nine star’s co-hosts, alleging the Continuous Call Team frequently spouted “racist content” on the show by mocking Pacific Islander and Maori names and emulating Chinese, Indian and other accents.

Molan’s lawyer told NCA NewsWire in a statement: “Ms Molan has commenced proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia for defamatory allegations made about her by the Daily Mail.

“Those allegations, now repeated by the Daily Mail in its defence, are denied. It would be inappropriate to comment further as the matter is before the court.”

Molan alleges in her statement of claim that the Daily Mail painted her as a racist and an “arrogant white woman of privilege” in a story about her saying “hooka looka mooka hooka fooka” on air in June.

She has said repeatedly she was not mocking Polynesian names and it was a reference to a past Continuous Call Team story about Chris and Ray Warren.

The Daily Mail’s defence, filed on Monday, contains transcripts of 24 conversations on Continuous Call Team dating back to March 2017 involving Molan and past and present co-hosts Ray Hadley, Bob Fulton, Darryl Brohman and others.

Among the excerpts is the April 1, 2017, broadcast in which Hadley says, “And now, why don’t we have a conversation with Darryl doing his Chinese and Erin doing her Chinese?”

“Herro, I wery goo lookin,” Molan said, according to the defence.

“Just do one for me, ‘I love you long time’, just do that for me,” Hadley said.

“I wuv you wery long tiyme, wery handsome man, ohhh, you like to walk with me in a cercle,” Ms Molan said.

In another excerpt in the defence on March 17, 2018, Hadley tells a story about women in Japan giving birth.

“You like raw feesh,” Molan said. “Sorry, was that racist?”

“Yeah … it wasn’t good,” Fulton said.

“Was it really? No it wasn’t, ’cause they do,” Molan said.

The Daily Mail has hit back after Erin Molan sued the outlet for a story she claims portrayed her as racist. Picture: Christian GillesSource:News Corp Australia

According to the defence, Molan sometimes participated in the conversations and at other times laughed along, stayed silent, or asked “in a humorous fashion” whether what had been said was racist.

In another excerpt from August 24, 2019, Brohman declares he is going to release a Chinese cookbook.

“Gonna put a big nappy on so I look like a sumo and say, ‘Come and get it! Big Marn’s Chinese Cookbook!’,” he said, according to the defence.

“Herro! That’s gonna be the name of the book,” Brohman said later.

“I just don’t know if this is OK now in this day and age,” Molan said.

“Oh, who cares,” Fulton said.

Later in the conversation, the defence quotes Molan as saying “Now we’re all talking like ohhh … you no … bad boy … you naughty … dwop your pen … pick up your chopstick” in an accent.

“Can I just throw something in here? Do we like working here? I don’t think we’re gonna have a big chance of being here next year,” Fulton said.

“I know we like to toe the line but this might be like a whole heel over the line,” Molan said.

“No, no, we’re right,” Mark Levy said.

The defence also includes a transcript from March 18, 2017, in which Brohman put on several accents, including Irish, American, Chinese, Japanese, and Indian, and Molan said: “Someone will write in now and say we’re being racist. I think it’s hilarious.”

The defence also includes transcripts of Brohman recounting the story about Chris and Ray Warren that Molan said she was referencing with her original comment.

“It was last year at a Manly game and they had a reserve that I hadn’t seen before, but he had a name with about 30 letters in it, and I had trouble pronouncing it, and I said to Chris, ‘Mate, how do you pronounce this bloke’s name?’” Brohman said on April 5, 2020.

“He said, ‘Well, Dad thought his name was Chooka-lucka-loo-loo, but I said no, no, no, Dad, I think it’s Chooka-lucka-loo-loo-loo-loo.’”

Audio of the conversations remain publicly available online.

In the defence, the Daily Mail claims these conversations prove Molan is racist, or that in an alternative defence of contextual truth she engaged in racist behaviour and conduct likely to offend people on the basis of their race or ethnicity.

The outlet has also filed a defence of honest opinion.

Molan also accused the Daily Mail of falsely stating she refused to apologise when she had in fact apologised on air.

In the defence, the media outlet said it was not “a true apology” and she had “simply stated that if people ‘in the current climate’ had been offended or hurt by her that she was sorry”.

The court documents reveal Molan’s solicitors asked the Daily Mail for an apology on August 26.

She claims the media outlet generated a wave of further abuse in which she was labelled a “racist bitch” by former NRL player John Hopoate.

Each side of the hostile brawl has hired a top-tier barrister, with Molan represented by Sandy Dawson SC and the Daily Mail by Bruce McClintock SC.

The matter is due for a first court hearing on Friday.

The Daily Mail is the Jerry Springer of news media. Absolute trash.

As for Erin Molan - I don't have a view either way on her abilities as a presenter but I do have a strong view that the rubbish she's copped is attrocious. And I back her 100% for calling it out.

The old "well don't go on social media then" is an absolute wank argument.

In here on the forums - much of the posting is people trying to 1-up others, arguing, smart arse remarks etc but there's guidelines and moderators who can ensure it doesn't get out of hand. Nothing like that of on many social media platforms - and she's championing change. Good on her.

Some people has been driven to the brink, many pushed over the edge, as a result of trolls on social media. I can't support her enough in her cause.

love thy neighbor TV show, con the fruitier
what about the 12 man comedy act, he made a career out of it, millions of dollars in sales of records. comedy acts , about cricket, he very popular
The 12th Man was hilarious. Especially the Indian and Pakistani names he came up with.

I'm happy to be old enough to have experienced life before the PC police took us all hostage.