What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF Panthers vs Storm

What? Only Vunalalu is tall, JAC is not, he is as short as is both our wingers, we beat them before, we'll do it again, just have to minimise Papanhausens carries, he runs like Brett Mullins in space.. need to keep peppering Vunalalu, until he is so sick of taking carries that he is getting smashed everytime we kickchase, either that or keep bombing papanhausen, and tire him out the same way we did to poor old gutho, he got so tired, Luai basically fell over the tryline at the end of that last parra match

I had him pegged as a bit taller, my bad. But I think he might have a better leap.

I think we can win, but the first time we played them they were missing some key guys.

MugaB

Coach
I had him pegged as a bit taller, my bad. But I think he might have a better leap.

I think we can win, but the first time we played them they were missing some key guys.
Nope, only him JAC and Jerome Hughes, they had Rylie Jacks at 7.
And Whare absolutely owned Olam, everytime he had a run Whare brickwalled it. I just watched the replay yesterday. We also had a bit of luck as Vunavalu kept his hands greasy with butter in his own 20, that won't be happening on GF day, our defense should hold up, but i fear we need Naden for some points, i agree with the sentiment of Kikau of the bench, i dont see anyone scoring in the first 15mins, he would be a beast to tired tacklers at around the 10-15min mark, and FFS no more believing wingers or props for Captains Challenges, We cannot waste it, especially since Cameron Smith has the "Unlimited" challenge tag
videotogif_2020.06.20_10.20.28.gif
Well maybe not anymore

Nope, only him JAC and Jerome Hughes, they had Rylie Jacks at 7.
And Whare absolutely owned Olam, everytime he had a run Whare brickwalled it. I just watched the replay yesterday. We also had a bit of luck as Vunavalu kept his hands greasy with butter in his own 20, that won't be happening on GF day, our defense should hold up, but i fear we need Naden for some points, i agree with the sentiment of Kikau of the bench, i dont see anyone scoring in the first 15mins, he would be a beast to tired tacklers at around the 10-15min mark, and FFS no more believing wingers or props for Captains Challenges, We cannot waste it, especially since Cameron Smith has the "Unlimited" challenge tag
View attachment 43092
Well maybe not anymore

JAC & Hughes are two of their key players, though. Hughes in particular has been playing very well.

murraymob

Coach
For me Naden back in the centers .May of the bench he can cover any position so is more valuable from there.we need a cover for api and may can do that if needed

Jane Murray

Bench
Melbourne Storm’s shock bid for Panthers superstar Nathan Cleary revealed
This would have shaken things right up :thinking:

BY
JAKE BENOITON
-
STAFF WRITER
OCTOBER 19, 2020

SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES - MAY 13: Nathan Cleary of the Panthers watches on during the round 10 NRL match between the Penrith Panthers and the New Zealand Warriors at Pepper Stadium on May 13, 2017 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
The Melbourne Storm’s secret plan to sign Nathan Cleary in 2015 has been revealed.

The Melbourne interest came after the Panthers had sacked Nathan’s father Ivan, however Cleary wasn’t enticed.

Watch the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals on a Kayo 14 day free trial with every game before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand. Or, Telstra customers get $10 off Kayo per month for 12 months. Stream instantly!

The Daily Telegraph reports that the Melbourne Storm identified Cleary as the successor to outgoing half-back Cooper Cronk at the end of 2015.

Now they face the challenge of nullifying Cleary’s influence in the biggest game of the season.

Cleary, who is a leading contender for the Dally M medal on Monday night, caught the attention of Melbourne after his father Ivan was sacked by Penrith in 2015.

At the time of asking, Melbourne officials were asked whether they would be interested in taking on Ivan in a consultancy role.

They also believed Nathan had a exit clause in his contract should his father no longer be coaching the Panthers, which was not the case.

Melbourne head of football Frank Ponissi spoke about the move for this weeks opposing half-back.

“We heard on the grapevine that he (Cleary) had a clause that may allow him to leave Penrith.”

“This was before he had played in the NRL. We made inquiries. It was very informal. He wanted to stay at Penrith and play for them.

“Fortunately for us, we landed on our feet with Jahrome (Hughes). He has been outstanding this year and we couldn’t be happier with our No 7.”

Tyrone May’s tackle efficiency was only 75% against Souths. Missed 6, tackled 18. Slightly better than Naden, but is it enough to give up Naden’s attack and May’s bench impact?

Original Name

Juniors
To’o did slide, that was part of the problem there. Naden didn’t slide out, To’o did slide out to the winger which left a easy run to the line for Morris. A lot of the time To’o would jam in there and make a big tackle or at least force a pass to the winger which gives us further chances to stop the try. It’s Naden fault but that try was unusually soft for that side especially in the first ten minutes of a game when they fresh.
Because Naden got back late the line couldn't move up so if To'o came in Keary would had plenty of time to see him running in and throw a cut out. That's the problem defending a short side when someone quick like Keary gets over the ad line because of no line speed and that's why the Roosters short side play produced so many points this year despite them being last in completions, it's very hard to defend. You'd want Naden to slide across to mark the centre so To'o could mark up on the winger and just hope Keary stuffs up his kick in behind the line or something but it's harder than it looks because it's an unfamiliar defensive edge, Edawrds wouldn't train that much defending there. Ideally Edwards would put kick pressure on him from the inside because he was never getting to a kick defending in the line but that goes against the instincts of a fullback so it's probably unrealistic for him to make that decision in a split second.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Tyrone May’s tackle efficiency was only 75% against Souths. Missed 6, tackled 18. Slightly better than Naden, but is it enough to give up Naden’s attack and May’s bench impact?

Yes because we kept a straight line in defence. If you get a chance watch the replay whenever they spread it we would stop and slide as one. Naden is usually good for aleast or 2 sprinting out of the line. Souths exploit that well.

As for the lack of attack. Score doesn't tell the full story

Luai made a break if he passes instead of kicks it either Edwards or Cleary scores.

Mansour murdered that draw and pass.

If To'o is running on to the pass from Cleary he scores.

Crichton made a break if passes before the ankle tap Edwards scores. Even the ankle tap Mansour was unmarked.

On another night we take those chances and put 40 on. So attack was fine barring the finishing.

We gave the opposition 55% possession in a Prelim and won. That gives me confidence if we keep that same backline this week

franklin2323

Immortal
Because Naden got back late the line couldn't move up so if To'o came in Keary would had plenty of time to see him running in and throw a cut out. That's the problem defending a short side when someone quick like Keary gets over the ad line w because of no line speed and that's why the Roosters short side play produced so many points this year despite them being last in completions, it's very hard to defend. You'd want Naden to slide across to mark the centre so To'o could mark up on the winger and just hope Keary stuffs up his kick or something but it's harder than it looks because it's an unfamiliar defensive edge, Edawrds wouldn't train that much defending there. Ideally Edwards would put kick pressure on him from the inside because he was never getting to a kick defending in the line but that goes against the instincts of a fullback so it's probably unrealistic for him to make that decision in a split second.

It was last tackle. You want your fullback getting ready for the kick in those situations. It is where you only have the one marker to stop those

Original Name

Juniors
It was last tackle. You want your fullback getting ready for the kick in those situations. It is where you only have the one marker to stop those
Edwards had no choice. He to come up in the line to prevent a three on two so it was the right decision. Naden just didn't trust him to mark up or Edwards didn't communicate for Naden to mark up so they both ended up marking Keary creating the overlap. Seeing how Naden has been dropped for what Ivan called some defensive lapses I'm guessing it was the first.

Yes because we kept a straight line in defence. If you get a chance watch the replay whenever they spread it we would stop and slide as one. Naden is usually good for aleast or 2 sprinting out of the line. Souths exploit that well.

As for the lack of attack. Score doesn't tell the full story

Luai made a break if he passes instead of kicks it either Edwards or Cleary scores.

Mansour murdered that draw and pass.

If To'o is running on to the pass from Cleary he scores.

Crichton made a break if passes before the ankle tap Edwards scores. Even the ankle tap Mansour was unmarked.

On another night we take those chances and put 40 on. So attack was fine barring the finishing.

We gave the opposition 55% possession in a Prelim and won. That gives me confidence if we keep that same backline this week

Yeah but the question is, is that the right approach against Melbourne?

We won’t be able to bust the Melbourne line as easily as we did against Souths, you’re right that we should’ve beaten Souths by much more. But we won’t get as many of those chances against the storm. So do we go with someone who offers more in attack on the right edge? That’ll mean both our edges can really test the storm, where as if we go with May I feel most of our attack will go left.

Latest posts