What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF Panthers vs Storm

Dragons 09

Juniors
Best of luck lads, give those cap rorting media darlings a right proper whipping. Sick to death of hearing how special they are and how hard they have done it this year by having to relocate.....who the f**k wouldn't want to get out of Melbourne at the moment! Keep the trophy in NSW where it belongs.
Best team all year and a pleasure to watch, one more game, you can do it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah but the question is, is that the right approach against Melbourne?

We won’t be able to bust the Melbourne line as easily as we did against Souths, you’re right that we should’ve beaten Souths by much more. But we won’t get as many of those chances against the storm. So do we go with someone who offers more in attack on the right edge? That’ll mean both our edges can really test the storm, where as if we go with May I feel most of our attack will go left.

That is the question. How best to combat their speed. We have them covered everywhere but the speed back 3

Kev07

Juniors
Tyrone May’s tackle efficiency was only 75% against Souths. Missed 6, tackled 18. Slightly better than Naden, but is it enough to give up Naden’s attack and May’s bench impact?
May made 18 tackles and missed 2 tackles vs Rabbits

Naden made 13 tackles and missed 6 vs Roosters

May's tackle efficiency 89.2
Naden's tackle efficiency 67.3

May's made 302 tackles and missed 23
Naden's made 143 tackles and missed 44.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
I can’t see them going back to Naden after picking May there for the bunnies. It will be May. Naden might get on the bench again but I wouldn’t be suprised if he ends up 18th man.

Capewell
Tetevano
Leota
Leniu/Kenny

That would be a great bench for the storm. Leniu if he is available takes Kenny’s spot. They do carry a back on the bench so maybe we will go with Naden on the bench but I just don’t see the value of it. The storm are big, another middle in Leniu or Kenny would be valuable.

Panfa

Juniors
We cant have naden on the bench and only use 16 players either naden starts at centre or hes out of the 17.Strong mail around this afternoon that cleary will stick with may and naden will miss out.Word is capewell will cover utility role with leniu added to the bench to match storms pack.Feel for naden hes been good all yr but may did play well against bunnies.

franklin2323

Immortal
I can’t see them going back to Naden after picking May there for the bunnies. It will be May. Naden might get on the bench again but I wouldn’t be suprised if he ends up 18th man.

Capewell
Tetevano
Leota
Leniu/Kenny

That would be a great bench for the storm. Leniu if he is available takes Kenny’s spot. They do carry a back on the bench so maybe we will go with Naden on the bench but I just don’t see the value of it. The storm are big, another middle in Leniu or Kenny would be valuable.

That is how I would run out

Think it’s mistake not having May on the bench, that’s where he’s been best all year. And often when we’ve played our best footy. He’s a real utility, and whilst Capewell can slot into centre if a spine player goes down, Capewell could be really shown up by the storm backline.

Original Name

Juniors
Yeah but the question is, is that the right approach against Melbourne?

We won’t be able to bust the Melbourne line as easily as we did against Souths, you’re right that we should’ve beaten Souths by much more. But we won’t get as many of those chances against the storm. So do we go with someone who offers more in attack on the right edge? That’ll mean both our edges can really test the storm, where as if we go with May I feel most of our attack will go left.
Naden rarely gets one and one and beats his opposition then passes to his winger or something like one those individual brilliance plays. The only time he really did this year was against the Sharks, got on the outside against Ramien like 4 times. The rest of the time he just did his normal job as a backline player this year, catching and passing when we have the overlap and stuff like that. Putting in the occasional kick on last when there's an overlap and we run it. Stuff that Edwards is perfectly capable of doing when May and Edwards switch when when we enter the opposition 20.

If spread the ball in our end he's better than May with better speed and he's a better leaper than May. Has a better instinct at calling for when a grubber in behind the line is on and sniffing out a try but that's much irreverent whenever he plays on the right side.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Yes I mentioned JAC and Hughes didn't play, but i still think we'll beat them anyway

We didnt have Edwards or May for that game. Naden was available but not selected. Also Leniu and Capewell were out hurt. We had Burto and Burns on the bench and Whare in the centres, Aekins at fullback, so in terms of our best 17 now we had more out I think.

kinghippo

Juniors
The storm are an absolute nightmare to play.
The quick line speed defence we have been using for the year needs to be perfect.

The downside to our defence is that the rush plays from the centres and wingers is a necessary part of it. We use the bulls horn shaped line a lot, not always a flat one.

If they rush at the wrong time we are susceptible to a long ball to their wingers, early kicks and grubbed behind.
To the teams credit we have been good at it all year no matter who is picked.
If we can get back to our no mistakes, field domination style we can win, if we give the storm lots of space we loose.

Frankus

Juniors
The storm are an absolute nightmare to play.
The quick line speed defence we have been using for the year needs to be perfect.

The downside to our defence is that the rush plays from the centres and wingers is a necessary part of it. We use the bulls horn shaped line a lot, not always a flat one.

If they rush at the wrong time we are susceptible to a long ball to their wingers, early kicks and grubbed behind.
To the teams credit we have been good at it all year no matter who is picked.
If we can get back to our no mistakes, field domination style we can win, if we give the storm lots of space we loose.

That is true regarding our defence, but the storm don't have the quality halves to consistently deliver that in my opinion. Whilst it has improved, Munster's passing game leaves alot to be desired. He's a ball runner. Hughes is super structured and can execute a set play - doesn't have natural ball playing ability in my opinion.

The main threats are Cameron Smith and Papenhuyzen chiming in. Shut them down and we win a close game.

Naden rarely gets one and one and beats his opposition then passes to his winger or something like one those individual brilliance plays. The only time he really did this year was against the Sharks, got on the outside against Ramien like 4 times. The rest of the time he just did his normal job as a backline player this year, catching and passing when we have the overlap and stuff like that. Putting in the occasional kick on last when there's an overlap and we run it. Stuff that Edwards is perfectly capable of doing when May and Edwards switch when when we enter the opposition 20.

If spread the ball in our end he's better than May with better speed and he's a better leaper than May. Has a better instinct at calling for when a grubber in behind the line is on and sniffing out a try but that's much irreverent whenever he plays on the right side.

One of our key plays this year is Cleary’s mini bombs close to the line, with the Storms excellent defence it wouldn’t surprise me if we have to go the aerial route. Makes sense to have a target on each side of the field.

murraymob

First Grade
The bunnies where flogging everyone until they played us why.Field position we strangled them out of the game.I see us doing the storm the same way

Last edited:

Panther Pete

Juniors
My biggest concern is if the Storm come out on fire and put put a few quick tries on us like they did against Canberra we won’t be able to run them down. I think if we can go with them in the first 20 mins we will be in with a chance. If it’s 18 or 24 nil at half time it will be all over as Smith will be good enough to game manage us out of the second half.

GongPanther

Referee
My biggest concern is if the Storm come out on fire and put put a few quick tries on us like they did against Canberra we won’t be able to run them down. I think if we can go with them in the first 20 mins we will be in with a chance. If it’s 18 or 24 nil at half time it will be all over as Smith will be good enough to game manage us out of the second half.
They will have the same concern from our attack. They do realise that we are in the GF for varied reasons. We kick off, and if we can keep them locked in their own 1/3 of the field for the 1st 20 mins, they'll get the jitters.

kinghippo

Juniors
That is true regarding our defence, but the storm don't have the quality halves to consistently deliver that in my opinion. Whilst it has improved, Munster's passing game leaves alot to be desired. He's a ball runner. Hughes is super structured and can execute a set play - doesn't have natural ball playing ability in my opinion.

The main threats are Cameron Smith and Papenhuyzen chiming in. Shut them down and we win a close game.
Yeah Smith ,paps, and Munster strips and fend re big weapons.
Hughes and ado Carr played their best games of the year last week. Hughes in particular can be very up and down, fingers crossed they have a few on the down.

The bunnies where flogging everyone until they played us why.Field position we strangled them out of the game.I see us doing the storm the same way

The big difference is we will have to capitalise on our opportunities against the Storm. Souths defence is pretty average, we broke the line so many times.

Original Name

Juniors
One of our key plays this year is Cleary’s mini bombs close to the line, with the Storms excellent defence it wouldn’t surprise me if we have to go the aerial route. Makes sense to have a target on each side of the field.
The last time I've seen a Naden tap back or catch to score or set up a try was that first game against Sharks. It's not like he's been doing it all the time.

Latest posts