What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Haynzy

First Grade
the Cleary haters claim Luai and Api made him look good all year .... well then I guess Luai and Api must have been M.I.A. last night

agree - GFs (and similarly Origin) are often just fast bash ups played at a million miles an hour and limited chances for halves to shine .... the absolute best at them are game managers - controlling tempo and wise kicking

Joey was saying a while ago that it takes years for young halfback to really learn their trade. Mitch changed his game a bit this year, trying to learn when to run and when to organise, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. What you hope for is that he learns from the experience and it rounds out his game as he matures. Cleary is the same and I don't think there's that much between them. Game management takes time to learn and I reckon Moses has a better temperament for it than Cleary. He's a bit more chirpy and willing to rip into his forwards and he's waaaay more skillful.

And Cleary’s 25m rainbow pass that had intercept written all over it from the second he threw it. It was thrown in hope. If that was Moses throwing that, he’d have been lynched by now.

The fact that our fans have a screw loose as well doesn't really matter. He didn't execute it perfectly, but if it landed it's a certain try to Penrith. Sometimes those passes come off, sometimes they don't. It's not as if there was no potential reward for the risk.

84 Baby

Referee
the Cleary haters claim Luai and Api made him look good all year .... well then I guess Luai and Api must have been M.I.A. last night

agree - GFs (and similarly Origin) are often just fast bash ups played at a million miles an hour and limited chances for halves to shine .... the absolute best at them are game managers - controlling tempo and wise kicking
Luai and Korisau were definitely missing as well but between them they probably aren’t paid as much as Chinry so he well and truly has to line up and cop it on his enormous chin

Avenger

Immortal
So who else are we gunna buy? We need two centres, coupla props and a winger.
Bevan French
Naden
Addo Carr

That’s the stuff being bandied around. I’ve heard nothing other than stuff I’ve read here or speculation in the media.

I’d go after a new coach and sign him for 2022 when they become available. I’m not sold on Paul Green. It’s either Wayne Bennett, Trent Robinson or even Shane Flanagan.

That way a peaceful resolution can be had by all and BA can earn a well deserved severance package.

Gronk

Staff member
Bevan French
Naden
Addo Carr

That’s the stuff being bandied around. I’ve heard nothing other than stuff I’ve read here or speculation in the media.

I’d go after a new coach and sign him for 2022 when they become available. I’m not sold on Paul Green. It’s either Wayne Bennett, Trent Robinson or even Shane Flanagan.

That way a peaceful resolution can be had by all and BA can earn a well deserved severance package.
I'm not adverse in trading up with a coach, but is there such a thing as a peaceful transition ? Other than a coach announcing his retirement and his replacement being appointed early, is there a scenario where a club have made the switch without dramas ?

Avenger

Immortal
I'm not adverse in trading up with a coach, but is there such a thing as a peaceful transition ? Other than a coach announcing his retirement and his replacement being appointed early, is there a scenario where a club have made the switch without dramas ?
Yes. Brian Smith. We told him we wouldn’t be renewing. He never got sacked. We signed Hagan for 2007. Smith started in 2006 only to quit and JT took over as a caretaker coach.

Kearney also quit as did Ricky. Anderson was the only one that was sacked and it shits me when I read that we sack coaches. We actually don’t.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
The fact that our fans have a screw loose as well doesn't really matter. He didn't execute it perfectly, but if it landed it's a certain try to Penrith. Sometimes those passes come off, sometimes they don't. It's not as if there was no potential reward for the risk.

That pass was never, ever coming off. It was the wrong option from the get go. Penrith not only showed little composure in attack, they showed little in defence. Cheap penalties (Vicious Fish) allowed Melb to mount continual scoreboard pressure. The result... 25 m Harbour Bridge passes on tackle 3.

84 Baby

Referee
Listening to Smith and Bellamy last night, I reckon there’s an option to really lean into BA, although it probably wouldn’t work in Sydney. Scum sound like a cult with the way they talk and explains a lot of why they make crap players look good and players that leave usually go to poo. Also why Bellamy failed at Origin (I reckon he’d have succeeded if he was at the equally cultish QLD Origin)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’ll back Cleary a bit here, and numerous other halves. Rugba Leeg is one of few sports where finals, GFs especially, are almost a completely different sport. Regular season they generally have time and can construct plays but in finals they are essentially flying by seat of their pants so particular halves don’t look anywhere near as good as they might in regular season. Munster, Hughes and Luai were almost as ineffective as Cleary. So were Edwards and Korisau. Even #CAMretireyoumerkin during the 2nd half was coming up with wrong plays
A key stat for how difficult it was for playmakers last night was how few metres everyone was making. Two good defensive teams and suddenly nobody is 'standing up against the good teams'. The whole point of good teams is that they're difficult to play against, and so they make their opposition look ordinary.

Avenger

Immortal
A key stat for how difficult it was for playmakers last night was how few metres everyone was making. Two good defensive teams and suddenly nobody is 'standing up against the good teams'. The whole point of good teams is that they're difficult to play against, and so they make their opposition look ordinary.
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Paps try very similar to French's try for Wigan. Who said NRL standard is higher and those tries don't happen here? They'll always happen with players who have speed.
It's not that they don't happen, just that there are fewer opportunities. Papenhuyzen got smashed a dozen times last night but he still kept turning up, so he was able to take the opportunity when it presented. Gutherson does likewise, though he is bigger and slower. So he gets manhandled less often but also needs bigger gaps to get through untouched.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Smith to Robinson was smooth.

Gronk

Staff member
Smith to Robinson was smooth.
I only watched it for the brunette older sister.

Space1.jpg