What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Suitman

Post Whore
They are just turning the soil at leppington. 2026 is when it opens.
I'm not sure what the second airport will be used for TBH. In some countries their second airport is used for domestic and low cost airlines. I read somewhere that they will struggle to get airlines to base themselves there as Kingsford Smith is where tourists want to touch down. Airlines are concerned that punters will chose an airline that lands at Mascot.

hindy111 pretty much nailed it.
This will be a 24/7 airport which suits Euro/American time zone arrivals/departures far better. It will also be, as h111 said, a major boost for freight transport and will have all the benefits he stated - less road transport on clogged local and arterial roads around Kingsford Smith, as well as having distribution of said cargo distributed from the industrial areas of the Aerotropolis. The airport will also be directly connected to Sydney's motorway system via the new M12, so road freight will be able to be distributed north, south, east and west beyond Sydney without using any local roads.
A new 23 km driverless metro line will connect to St Mary's station so domestic and international travelers will have a decent public transport option to the city.
Certainly, low cost airlines will use this airport. Some high cost airlines have also already committed to using it as a secondary off load point as well.
Remember, Sydney AP was pushing capacity before Covid-19, and has been for years. It's not just landing spots, but gate capacity where Kingsford Smith falls short. It's why Heathrow for example, can land planes every minute, and Sydney can't.
You might want to fly in and out of Mascot because you live 5 minutes away.
There's 2 million people in western Sydney who'd probably rather fly out of Nancy Bird Walton International Airport than travel an hour to Mascot.
Your above comment is both ignorant and snobby.

They are just turning the soil at leppington. 2026 is when it opens.

You are confusing Leppington with Luddenham. And the new airport won't even be at Luddenham.
It's more Badgery's Creek and Bringelly.
And they've been "turning the soil" for over 12 months now. Much progress has been made.
I'd suggest you peruse this document.

https://majorprojects.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/prweb/PRRestService/mp/01/getContent?AttachRef=SSI-10051!20201019T004448.159 GMT

This is worth a watch as well.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Completing Inland Rail and upgrading NSW country rail networks will help as well. Will allow rail freight to connect in to St Mary’s and also hopefully reduce road freight along the Newell, Hume and Pacific.

I drove the Hume quite a bit when I was in Canberra and the number of B Doubles is frightening. They are even trialling B Triples now as well.

Eelogical

Referee
Completing Inland Rail and upgrading NSW country rail networks will help as well. Will allow rail freight to connect in to St Mary’s and also hopefully reduce road freight along the Newell, Hume and Pacific.

I drove the Hume quite a bit when I was in Canberra and the number of B Doubles is frightening. They are even trialling B Triples now as well.
It's not the B-doubles mate, it's the locals that are most frightening. It's testimony to the regulations put in place and the ability for the locals to get around them. Hell of a place, I'm surprised you survived to be honest.

Suitman

Post Whore
Lucky westies. 24/7 aircraft noise.

I lived under an aircraft flight path at Dural, before I moved to Castle Hill. Was under the direct flight path of the main and 3rd runways.
I know the planes are higher, but not a lot. Sometimes they were quite low, depending on the weather.
It ain't a big deal mate.
We live in a big city. Sometimes, the local traffic noise was worse.
Meh. Turn the tv up.

Eelogical

Referee
After all of the bullshit it was actually really easy today. I printed a whole bunch of shit out and they didn’t even want to look at it.

Mr Gutful. Traveling from Canberra................check.
We assume you haven't been outside the A.C.T. in the last 14 days.......sure, why not.
Have you come in contact with anybody who may be infected with CV-19? ........ well, hardly. Maybe.
I see you have a lot of paperwork with you.............I'm a marine biologist, that's why I'm flying to Cairns you f**kwit.
No worries, sir...........enjoy your flight.

strider

Post Whore
I lived under an aircraft flight path at Dural, before I moved to Castle Hill. Was under the direct flight path of the main and 3rd runways.
I know the planes are higher, but not a lot. Sometimes they were quite low, depending on the weather.
Meh. Turn the tv up.
Dural? FFS .... Yes i realise plane noise happens further out but it is vastly different to the places close to the airport .... i live much closer to the airport and close to the flight path ... i agree you get more used to it, but there is a curfew at kingsford smith, about 10:45 to 6am .... 24/7 is the point - if you are turning the tv up at 3am then you have a problem

Eelogical

Referee
Meh. Turn the tv up.
To be honest, if Sydney wants to play on the world stage then international flights have to be 24/7. When I was in the USA last year I stood in awe at the volume of air traffic that Dulles handles compared to Sydney. Fokker Friendship flights from Lord Howe Island don't cut in any longer.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Dural? FFS .... Yes i realise plane noise happens further out but it is vastly different to the places close to the airport .... i live much closer to the airport and close to the flight path ... i agree you get more used to it, but there is a curfew at kingsford smith, about 10:45 to 6am .... 24/7 is the point - if you are turning the tv up at 3am then you have a problem
My Grandmother used to live in Rockdale. I have vivid memories of the family going to visit her and us all having to yell across the table to hear each other over the plane noise.

Eelogical

Referee
My Grandmother used to live in Rockdale. I have vivid memories of the family going to visit her and us all having to yell across the table to hear each other over the plane noise.

369552.jpg

Latest posts