What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 has forced the NRL into having a better schedule. Let's make it permanent.

Origin during or after the club season?

• Total voters

greenBV4

Bench
Nine would still want to pay less though. They'd argues 15 less games is less "bang for their buck" (even though they'd come out in front due to reduced production costs). They are notorious tight wads.
Depends how many internationals they got during that window - but yeah they'd argue regardless

Origin is the sticking point though if there were to be a full break in the competition for it, fox would be lacking content and may put big money on the table for origin - its then up to 9 to also pay up or let their exclusive go

greenBV4

Bench
Except 9 doesn't want an extra game.
Yep, 9 seem to only want 3 games a week, so regardless its 15 games lost for them
Another FTA could possibly pick up a game a week though?

2 more teams in a 20 round comp would add 20 more games for fox as well, but that would still leave them down 20 from current with the above proposal

Basically as long as TV deals are the main source of funding for the game they aren't going to reduce the number of rounds

greenBV4

Bench
Its a good question, is 4 games a week more valuable to them for 20 weeks than 3 games a week for 26 weeks?
I think their answer would be no.
Their answer would likely be no, but it would be in the best interests of the NRL to have a FTA game Saturday nights to combat 7s coverage of the AFL

If nein don't want to pay for it they should be approaching 10, jmthe threat of another fta channel alone should be enough for 9 to up their payments

unforgiven

Bench
Their answer would likely be no, but it would be in the best interests of the NRL to have a FTA game Saturday nights to combat 7s coverage of the AFL

If nein don't want to pay for it they should be approaching 10, jmthe threat of another fta channel alone should be enough for 9 to up their payments

I think you would then find 9 offering less for the games they have as they want exclusivity on FTA.

unforgiven

Bench
Thats what I mean, they could be forced to pay more for that exclusivity if there was a competitor in the mix
Yeah I don't know, it seems under the current management ch 9's interest in the game is on the wane. Wouldn't even be surprised if they let the rights go.

Tigers1986

Juniors
I prefer Origin mid-season, but as a stop-gap solution for diluted games, they can run a Challenge Cup event over those 6 weeks. Involve all NRL teams (4 pools of 4, play each other once, top 2 go through to finals - quarters, semis, championship game).

Depends how many internationals they got during that window - but yeah they'd argue regardless

Origin is the sticking point though if there were to be a full break in the competition for it, fox would be lacking content and may put big money on the table for origin - its then up to 9 to also pay up or let their exclusive go

One problem though is State of Origin matches are on the anti-siphoning list so Fox can't really bid for the rights as it would require regulatory changes to allow them to buy them, and no Minister will upset the FTA networks by doing so, not even for "Uncle Rupert" and co.

unforgiven

Bench
One problem though is State of Origin matches are on the anti-siphoning list so Fox can't really bid for the rights as it would require regulatory changes to allow them to buy them, and no Minister will upset the FTA networks by doing so, not even for "Uncle Rupert" and co.
Yes, but Fox could bid for simulcast rights.

greenBV4

Bench
Does that prohibit fox from showing it live aswell as Nine or just from having it as an exclusive?

_Johnsy

Referee
Origin will go back to mid season. The broadcasters won't allow it to be at the end after this year with too many players injured and getting surgeries.
I'd expect the ratings to be massive. literally next to no competition re: domestic sport apart from a few horse races and the odd usually predictable yawnion borefest tests. From a broadcasters perspective, you could make an argument that it's perfect timing.

I'd expect the ratings to be massive. literally next to no competition re: domestic sport apart from a few horse races and the odd usually predictable yawnion borefest tests. From a broadcasters perspective, you could make an argument that it's perfect timing.

Yes but that argument has been used for end of season test matches, and the TV ratings for those have not always been good.

Dodgy

Juniors
Matty Johns made a point on SEN that after a long, bruising season, players may waiver on the side of missing out on a post GF SoO.

Latest posts