What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Origin III - QLD 20-14 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wizardman

First Grade
Games like tonight remind me of why I love and despise Origin at the same time. I love it because you get to see the best players in the game come together as two seperate units and playing all-in footy for 80 minutes. The contest is (generally) on another level.

Yet I despise it because (despite my avatar) I consider myself a a footy purist first and foremost. When it comes to Origin I'd rather see both teams left to play their best and let the result fall as it may. If we get a close game/ series- great. If one side gets whitewashed, so be it. Origin should be a 'test' of the current players available from NSW/ Qld and what they can do over 3 games. Yet time and time again, it all becomes so contrived. This series was no different-

You have these narratives that have existed since day 1- of the Maroons apparently not being a chance. Of Origin nights at Lang Park/ Suncorp. Passion, spirit, never giving up, close finishes etc etc. Unfortunately it feels increasingly like The Narrative has taken priority over the actual football itself. Again tonight we saw little consistency from Sutton and how he officiated the game, and the cynic in me feels like the NRL/ 9 got exactly the game and the result they wanted. Another Decider (TM) that comes down to the dying seconds and won by the home team by 6 points. I hate to sound like Gus, but I'm sure I called it exactly as this earlier in the thread?

All being equal, maybe this series would still have gone the same way. But all wasn't equal. I can take losing, but it's those inconsistencies that leave you talking about the game for the wrong reasons, those 'what ifs' that annoy the f**k out of me. I'm glad the season is over, it's felt like it's gone on for ages and yeah I'm annoyed about a number of things coming away from this game tonight. At the same time, I know I'll be back 6 months from now in 2021 hoping NSW can prove a point...
WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! MY TEAM LOST BECAUSE THEY LOOKED BETTER ON PAPER!!!!! THE REFGS ENGINEERED THE RESULT!!!! WAAAAAAAAA!!!!

The_Frog

First Grade
Also, I dont think Cook should have been picked. He has been off all year except one or two games

His service was ordinary all series
Very ordinary for 2/3rds of the season but came good later on. There will come a time when his defensive liabilities outweigh his ability to attack from dummy half. He relies on his forwards to do this, just like the halves, and they were outplayed tonight.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Can anyone blame the NSW forwards? Master coach left out:

1. David Klemmer
2. Paul Vaughan
3. Wade Graham

3 proven big game performers who have served NSW brilliantly in the last few years. NSW lacked penetration in the forwards, something Vaughan and most definitely Klemmer would have given. They lacked direction and leadership, how useful would Graham have been?

He left them out on the basis of their club form whilst picking his boy Cordner. He swung the axe so unnecessarily and if he doesn’t resign, the NSW management need to do the same with him.

That was a disgrace, there’s no way to put it, he needs to go.
Freddy has always been a massive fraud. NSW will struggle to win another series for a long time after losing to this ragtag crew of reserve graders. Zero halves options, and times are tough if enthusiastic reserve graders like Gutherson are playing origin. Plenty of dud picks in that nsw side though, so he's not alone in his mediocrity.

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
Can anyone blame the NSW forwards? Master coach left out:

1. David Klemmer
2. Paul Vaughan
3. Wade Graham

3 proven big game performers who have served NSW brilliantly in the last few years. NSW lacked penetration in the forwards, something Vaughan and most definitely Klemmer would have given. They lacked direction and leadership, how useful would Graham have been?

He left them out on the basis of their club form whilst picking his boy Cordner. He swung the axe so unnecessarily and if he doesn’t resign, the NSW management need to do the same with him.

That was a disgrace, there’s no way to put it, he needs to go.

Can hardly blame him for leaving St George forwards out, cmon

stryker

First Grade
I'm just sitting here looking concussed ( courtesy of crown lager ) because I can't fathom how we've thrown this series away tonight.
After 8 straight years of having QLD shoved down our throat, I'm stunned how in any way, shape or form this series would be a forgone conclusion.
It's as predictable as the outcome after a Mary halftime speech.
Now we have to endure the bragging rights of the zenophobic non-covids when they literally are the least deserving to do so.
At least it brings a smile to a few of my friends faces.
*Xenophobic you uneducated fool

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Games like tonight remind me of why I love and despise Origin at the same time. I love it because you get to see the best players in the game come together as two seperate units and playing all-in footy for 80 minutes. The contest is (generally) on another level.

Yet I despise it because (despite my avatar) I consider myself a a footy purist first and foremost. When it comes to Origin I'd rather see both teams left to play their best and let the result fall as it may. If we get a close game/ series- great. If one side gets whitewashed, so be it. Origin should be a 'test' of the current players available from NSW/ Qld and what they can do over 3 games. Yet time and time again, it all becomes so contrived. This series was no different-

You have these narratives that have existed since day 1- of the Maroons apparently not being a chance. Of Origin nights at Lang Park/ Suncorp. Passion, spirit, never giving up, close finishes etc etc. Unfortunately it feels increasingly like The Narrative has taken priority over the actual football itself. Again tonight we saw little consistency from Sutton and how he officiated the game, and the cynic in me feels like the NRL/ 9 got exactly the game and the result they wanted. Another Decider (TM) that comes down to the dying seconds and won by the home team by 6 points. I hate to sound like Gus, but I'm sure I called it exactly as this earlier in the thread?

All being equal, maybe this series would still have gone the same way. But all wasn't equal. I can take losing, but it's those inconsistencies that leave you talking about the game for the wrong reasons, those 'what ifs' that annoy the f**k out of me. I'm glad the season is over, it's felt like it's gone on for ages and yeah I'm annoyed about a number of things coming away from this game tonight. At the same time, I know I'll be back 6 months from now in 2021 hoping NSW can prove a point...
What ifs are tough. What IF valentine could catch!? To be fair NSW defended well on their line, but far closer than they probably should have been.

Reflector

Juniors
Freddy has always been a massive fraud. NSW will struggle to win another series for a long time after losing to this ragtag crew of reserve graders. Zero halves options, and times are tough if enthusiastic reserve graders like Gutherson are playing origin. Plenty of dud picks in that nsw side though, so he's not alone in his mediocrity.

Them having Munster and NSW losing Teddy (also their captain) played a big part, though. We saw how that ragtag crew of reserve graders went in Game 2 without Munster.

The_Frog

First Grade
Cam Murray was a massive loss in game 1, NSW wouldn't have had to play that mediocre club player Finucane
Freddy would have still played Finucane. Can Murray play centre? NSW lacked a genuine utility. That is why they lost in my view.

some11

Referee

Just do what I do. Skip the bullshit.

Just turn the game on when it starts. All news Corp articles are just rehashed garbage anyway, get your opinions here on LU...

Reflector

Juniors
What ifs are tough. What IF valentine could catch!? To be fair NSW defended well on their line, but far closer than they probably should have been.

Perhaps. But there's a tonne of player errors, passes not pushed/ passes that shouldn't have been made every game.

The most frustrating are the "what ifs" that are down to the officials- be consistent and let the two sides play instead of interjecting to get close/ feel-good results. I've seen this happen where it's both favoured Qld and NSW over the years.

Last edited:

Reflector

Juniors
Just do what I do. Skip the bullshit.

Just turn the game on when it starts. All news Corp articles are just rehashed garbage anyway, get your opinions here on LU...

True that. Got to laugh when Gus comes out with another one of his cliches during a game...

The_Frog

First Grade
Exactly, why do you think qld kicked to him all night long - to try to tire him out so he doesn't have as big an impact on the game.
The Master Coach at work. Freddy wouldn't dream of stuff like this. More interested in walking barefoot on the grass to soak up the minerals.

Latest posts