What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

martielang

Bench
Yep I respect him immensely for taking less and staying loyal but that doesn’t mean he is a sure starter until he retires, no doubt we are trying to free up salary cap space but that doesn’t mean it isn’t also in his best interest to find out this news asap. Would he prefer to find out a week before round one we plan on playing him in reserve grade? Surely that makes it harder for him to land somewhere else if he isn’t willing to play reserve grade.

I think most of you forget we're actually talking about people with emotions, friends & family, connections to the club etc.

Would you be a upset if you'd just been shown the door after years of service to a company - the company just had it's best year in a decade plus, you've consistently met targets & have performed exceptionally this year - or you'd be like 'sweet, no worries. thanks for giving me the sack early' like what Alice is saying.

The club is clearly trying to show him the door, it's naïve for some to think all that was said in the meeting was 'you're going to start in NSW Cup'. The intent from the club is probably what hurts most regardless whether the timing is in his best interests or not.

Last edited:

Jane Murray

Bench
I think most of you forget we're actually talking about people with emotions, friends & family, connections to the club etc.

Would you be a upset if you'd just been shown the door after years of service to a company - the company just had it's best year in a decade plus, you've consistently met targets & have performed exceptionally this year - or you'd just be like 'sweet, no worries thanks for giving me the sack early' like people like Alice would clearly be given their responses.

The club is clearly trying to show him the door, it's naïve for some to think all that was said in the meeting was 'you're going to start in NSW Cup'. The intent from the club is probably what hurts most regardless whether the timing is in his best interests or not.

That is life. Move on, and keep quite.

betcats

Referee

Would you be a upset if you'd just been shown the door after years of service to a company - the company just had it's best year in a decade plus, you've consistently met targets & have performed exceptionally this year - or you'd just be like 'sweet, no worries thanks for giving me the sack early' like people like Alice would clearly be given their responses.

He has a right to be upset. Personally I dont try and shit on someone every time they make a decision that upsets me though. He didnt have to come out and shit on us and no doubt agitate things behind the scenes with the players. All the respect he earned is undone now, I am more than happy for the club to turf him, dont make getting out easy and reduce the impact on our cap as much as possible.

Ive got no doubt the club told him hoping that he would find another club but at the end of the day if they dont think he is going to be in the top 17 next year how is telling him now a bad thing? He clearly is not going to play reserve grade therefore we gave as much time as possible to sort out the best deal for himself. Whether he likes it or not that is in his best interest as well as ours. This dummy spit is stupid. If he can tell us a time that wouldve been better for him to hear that he will be in reserve grade next year I will listen but seriously when would have been a better time?

betcats

Referee
Personally I wouldve got a few signatures locked in before I told Josh, If I was the club that is. Its easy to see the news would upset him, the potential for this to affect our negotiations with other players shouldve been spotted from a mile away, that is the only mistake the club made imo.

Players get told all the time they arent wanted, wont be in the side, not in our plans etc and dont blow up like that so again, I cant feel bad for Josh despite his past sacrifices.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Would you be a upset if you'd just been shown the door after years of service to a company - the company just had it's best year in a decade plus, you've consistently met targets & have performed exceptionally this year - or you'd be like 'sweet, no worries. thanks for giving me the sack early' like what Alice is saying.

I disagree.

If that were the case we'd have 70 year old blokes still attempting to run around for the team.

Josh has been paid well for his services. Like all footy players they have a shalf life, and Josh is reaching the end of his.

Harsh you betcha but that is life......you don't always get what you deserve.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
He has a right to be upset. Personally I dont try and shit on someone every time they make a decision that upsets me though. He didnt have to come out and shit on us and no doubt agitate things behind the scenes with the players. All the respect he earned is undone now, I am more than happy for the club to turf him, dont make getting out easy and reduce the impact on our cap as much as possible.

Ive got no doubt the club told him hoping that he would find another club but at the end of the day if they dont think he is going to be in the top 17 next year how is telling him now a bad thing? He clearly is not going to play reserve grade therefore we gave as much time as possible to sort out the best deal for himself. Whether he likes it or not that is in his best interest as well as ours. This dummy spit is stupid. If he can tell us a time that wouldve been better for him to hear that he will be in reserve grade next year I will listen but seriously when would have been a better time?

Totallay agree, calling Benji Marshall club legend who found out via the media that he wasn't in the club plans for 2021.

I believe Josh's expectations from the club were unrealistic.

The dummy spit in the media in my eyes has harmed his clubman legacy.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Personally I wouldve got a few signatures locked in before I told Josh, If I was the club that is. Its easy to see the news would upset him, the potential for this to affect our negotiations with other players shouldve been spotted from a mile away, that is the only mistake the club made imo.

Players get told all the time they arent wanted, wont be in the side, not in our plans etc and dont blow up like that so again, I cant feel bad for Josh despite his past sacrifices.

I think the club were gobsmacked by his outrage in the media.

I didn't think that was Sauce. Rest assured the club won't be so good again in letting a player know their plans.

MugaB

Coach

Please .... none one gave two hoots that Whare is basically in the same position, yet the tears fall for sauce, again if he atleast moved into a more important role on the field other than just a winger, i could get your point, but as an aging winger, who is on large coin, this was always gonna happen, plus we need cap space for guys we need to retain in more important positions

MugaB

Coach
That is true but in which cases has the club been proven wrong
Id have to say luke lewis was one, he seemed to gain another leg at cronulla after he left us in similar circumstance, but he too was a winger than progressed into the backline, then became lock/backrower later on, and a good one at that, similar to wade graham.. wheres sauce... still dropping sitters on the wing, for his build he can at least be in the centres and break tackles, set up wingers... but the money he is currently on is unsustainable for cap management point of view...
I dare say the rumours of JAC "wanting out of the storm, wants to return to sydney" is complete utter garbage, i see the storm pushing him out, with JAC being able to look at sydney clubs, dogs, tigers, eels etc theyd love to sign him, hell so would we, but you cannot justify that amount of money for both sauce and/or JAC for sitting on the wing, they have to atleast be a centre, or in JAC case a fullback

One thing that puzzles me about the Mansour situation is why didn’t Cleary rest him during the year to try other combos? Cleary was obviously not sold on Naden at centre, so why not rest Mansour and move Naden to the wing? He could’ve got a better look at things without Josh in the lineup, plus he could’ve given Burton more time in the centres.

MugaB

Coach
One thing that puzzles me about the Mansour situation is why didn’t Cleary rest him during the year to try other combos? Cleary was obviously not sold on Naden at centre, so why not rest Mansour and move Naden to the wing? He could’ve got a better look at things without Josh in the lineup, plus he could’ve given Burton more time in the centres.
Probably was the sentimental route for josh this year, with that exact plan for next year, only staines looks like getting the wing spot first, i still love Naden on the wing he offers so much there, also i don't think Ivan felt that the team list from the start of the year was going to be minor premiers, i think he felt a bit unsure of tinkering with the squad, as it was working so well, and as the finals played out a bit of tinkering ended up a fail, by swapping out naden for may, had he not done that for the GF, maybe we win, either way Ivans pulled the trigger on Sauce, and wants to once again inject this squad with younger fitter bodies, means captain JT, Sauce and to some extent Whare wont be in 1st grade.

Last edited:
Probably was the sentimental route for josh this year, with that exact plan for this year, only staines looks like getting the wing spot first, i still love Naden on the wing he offers so much there

Naden will be a very good winger wherever he winds up, he’ll score a heap of tries. In fact I’d like to keep him around for when/if Staines moves to fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts