What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Brent Naden - positive test to a recreational drug on grand final night

Saxon

Bench
"Having established that the ingestion of the cocaine was out-of-competition and not for performance enhancing purposes" (from the link in the post above).

So he didn't have it the night before after all? Either way, he's been bashed over the head with a feather.
Pissweak.

AJB1102

First Grade
I couldn't care less if a bloke hits some nose beers after the season. Obviously they don't (from a performance enhancing point of view) either so I dunno why they even bother with the month ban.

Even in season I don't think cocaine is gonna be much of a performance enhancer. I'd find it hard to believe someone is a few bumps off an NRL or Origin berth. If a bloke needed beers before a game you'd treat his alcohol problem, if he needs blow before a game I feel its more a dependence thing than a PE thing.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The full NRL statement makes it clear the cocaine was done after the game:

The NRL has imposed a sanction of one month’s suspension on Penrith Panthers player Brent Naden following the conclusion of anti-doping processes conducted by Sport Integrity Australia and the NRL.

Naden did not contest a Notice of Alleged Anti-Doping Rule Violation in relation to positive samples for Benzoylecgonine and Methylecgonine (metabolites of Cocaine) collected from him following the NRL Grand Final on 25 October 2020.

Having established that the ingestion of the cocaine was out-of-competition and not for performance enhancing purposes, Naden is sanctioned in accordance with new provisions of the incoming World Anti-Doping Code 2021 which permit a one-month period of ineligibility for qualifying athletes who also undertake an approved rehabilitation program. The sanction will come into effect on 1 January 2021 with the commencement of the new WADA Code.

In accordance with the WADA Code, Naden’s one-month period of suspension is backdated to the date of his provisional suspension and he will be eligible to return to training and competition on 1 January 2021.

The sanction issued to Naden concerns the anti-doping breach only and any other related matters will be reviewed in the new year. The Panthers and the NRL will continue to provide support to Naden.

Saxon

Bench
The full NRL statement makes it clear the cocaine was done after the game:

It doesn't actually make that clear, it doesn't even say it. It just says "out of competition". Given the NRL's history with weasel words to get their desired outcome, that could mean anything they want.

Besides, he shouldn't be entitled to the new pussy slap-on-the-wrist punishment. The offence was committed under the old rules (pre WADA Doping Code 2021) so he should be punished under the old rules. They can't apply the penalty until January 1 for Christ's sake, because that's when the new rules come into effect. And then they backdate it to the date of the provisional suspension, so he is actually only suspended for part of his compulsory 6 week end of season holiday when he wasn't allowed to play or train anyway.

So in fact, apart from being made to look a bit of a goose in public, he got no effective punishment at all. None. Nada.

Like I said previously; pissweak!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It doesn't actually make that clear, it doesn't even say it. It just says "out of competition". Given the NRL's history with weasel words to get their desired outcome, that could mean anything they want.
Maybe I'm naive but I take 'out of competition' to fairly clearly mean it happened after the game. If you wish to not believe that i can't stop you but it makes sense to me.

(I don't doubt the punishment is pissweak - agree with the rest of your post)

Valheru

Coach
I don't think the bloke should be crucified for this but in an era where the NRL punish players based on how bad a look for the game something is, surely they should have ensured he missed a couple of games.

blue bags

First Grade
I don't think the bloke should be crucified for this but in an era where the NRL punish players based on how bad a look for the game something is, surely they should have ensured he missed a couple of games.
agree, there is an smelly odor about this, and the ongoing panthers nrl shenanigans

AJB1102

First Grade

Besides, he shouldn't be entitled to the new pussy slap-on-the-wrist punishment. The offence was committed under the old rules (pre WADA Doping Code 2021) so he should be punished under the old rules. They can't apply the penalty until January 1 for Christ's sake, because that's when the new rules come into effect. And then they backdate it to the date of the provisional suspension, so he is actually only suspended for part of his compulsory 6 week end of season holiday when he wasn't allowed to play or train anyway.

So in fact, apart from being made to look a bit of a goose in public, he got no effective punishment at all. None. Nada.

What's the big problem and why do you want him flogged for it?

blue bags

First Grade

road side drug tests, don't test for cocaine, thats the law, no cocaine drug tests of any drivers in new south wales, and I believe in Australia

Last Week

Bench
road side drug tests, don't test for cocaine, thats the law, no cocaine drug tests of any drivers in new south wales, and I believe in Australia

What?

Your sentence is difficult to decode, but are you saying that road side drug tests don't test for cocaine?

Saxon

Bench
Maybe I'm naive but I take 'out of competition' to fairly clearly mean it happened after the game. If you wish to not believe that i can't stop you but it makes sense to me.

(I don't doubt the punishment is pissweak - agree with the rest of your post)
Not naïve; but I don't see how the NRL/WADA know or can prove it.
If I got busted doing something that stupid and was going to lose my 400K/year job for the next 2 years, then I'd be lying my ass off - "Yessir, it was after the game. Nosir, haven't taken any since before preseason Sir". Even if someone from the Panthers gave evidence that they saw him take it after the game (and if so, why they didn't report it immediately should be WADA's next question), what proof is there that he didn't have a snort before the game too - in which case it does count as a performance enhancer.
Also, unless things have changed recently, 'in competition' used to include any time until the athlete left the arena.

Last edited:

Saxon

Bench
What's the big problem and why do you want him flogged for it?
Plenty of reasons to punish him, but let's go with this one;

As an absolute best case scenario, Naden took cocaine within 3 hours of the match finishing - he was tested before he left the venue. By accepting Naden's version (that he somehow managed to find time for a snort in and around all the fuss of the Grand Final aftermath - warm down, coach's speech, presentations etc.) and applying no significant penalty, the NRL are effectively condoning his behaviour. No disincentive for other players and no clear message to young fans.

"All you players out there, doing drugs is naughty so if we catch you we will have to wag a finger firmly in your direction".

Apey

Staff member
Assuming all players from the game were tested are we really expected to believe only one of them tested positive for cocaine after the game?

shear_joy9

Coach
Panthers now have to find another way to get rid of him.

Naden should have three padlocks on his locker and record every conversation he has from now on

Assuming all players from the game were tested are we really expected to believe only one of them tested positive for cocaine after the game?

Put my hand up, I’ve done it loads of times. I lived in Bondi for 8 years so that’ll explain it to many.

I can assure anyone who’s in the remotest of doubt... it would be an exceptional and rare situation for someone to do it on their own, even in the midst celebrating/commiserating with others “just drinking”.

I have no internal knowledge or insight into what really happened, apart from what I’ve read from statements. But..

If Naden did it purely on his own, the bloke has a real concerning issue that needs urgent support. Solo use of this is a horrific path of destruction that sadly I know someone has gone down, and others I’ve heard of.

I have no idea what the club has done/is doing to investigate how it came about and who (if anyone) else is involved. If they’ve gone hard, accepted Nadens version, or put the blinkers on, no idea.

Latest posts