What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

poker, ponky, pocky, phony, Machines, why, who pays money to them

blue bags

First Grade
not a cent, never play them. just trying to figure out why so many people are addicted to them
please help:(

horrie hastings

First Grade
The last time i played a pokie was when i renewed my Easts Leagues membership which comes with my Roosters membership, this was about this time last year, put in $10 and took out $50 so was happy with that, before that i used to like just every now and then putting in $10 either at a local bowling club or pub and wouldn't care if i didn't get anything back just as long i played the machine for a while. I remember my father would constantly gamble 500 pounds over the phone on dogs and horses then in later years it would be the equivalent in dollars, he never got anything back and kept on doing it, it had an affect on me that i was never going to blow my hard earned dollars, so a $10 limit in a poker machine 2-5 times a year and a mystery trifecta on the Melbourne Cup is my limit.

blue bags

First Grade
The last time i played a pokie was when i renewed my Easts Leagues membership which comes with my Roosters membership, this was about this time last year, put in $10 and took out $50 so was happy with that, before that i used to like just every now and then putting in $10 either at a local bowling club or pub and wouldn't care if i didn't get anything back just as long i played the machine for a while. I remember my father would constantly gamble 500 pounds over the phone on dogs and horses then in later years it would be the equivalent in dollars, he never got anything back and kept on doing it, it had an affect on me that i was never going to blow my hard earned dollars, so a $10 limit in a poker machine 2-5 times a year and a mystery trifecta on the Melbourne Cup is my limit.
give the money you gambled to charities ;)
or don't gamble

horrie hastings

First Grade
give the money you gambled to charities ;)
or don't gamble

No body tells me what to do with my money. Considering i contribute to the Cat Protection society and the Koala Hospital in Port Macquarie yearly and put in $500 every time we have the Second Bite Charity at work when we have them which is twice a year i think if i want to gamble $50-$ 60 a year on a Melbourne Cup bet or in the pokies i have the right to do it.

And to be honest my fathers addiction to betting on the Dogs and Horses didn't stop later in life, it just turned to scratchies and lotto, $500 a week or more, its funny when he said when he had to wait two months for some of investments to come in he said how am i supposed to live on $700 a week, i just tore strips off him, he didn't owe a cent anywhere but couldn't give up $500 a week on lotto and scratchies.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I feel it too bro. a close family member of mine, just like yours
all the best

I'm at the pointy end of life now, the extra dollars i have are going into super because i was a bit slack about that when i was younger, i'm lucky, mortgage paid off so nothing owed there ( could comfortably sell my Sydney place and buy a house up the coast and retire on what was left over but i would never get rid of my Sydney base because that would be lunacy ), i just want enough when i'm retired to be able to go out somewhere for dinner once a week, will be comfortable enough when i retire unless things go very haywire and that's all i want. My brother was a bit like my father when he was younger but he mellowed out when he got older and getting married really helped and now has the same respect for money my Mother, older sister and myself have. We have all said our father will live to a 100 just to spite us all.

Latest posts