What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Melbourne finished?

Eelectrica

Referee
Melbourne will be in the top 8 by years end. At full strength they're still more than a match for most teams.

Broncos might be in a world of pain next week.

myrrh ken

First Grade
They have the team to still make the top 8 easily and challenge for the top 4 but they do look vulnerable at the moment.

Jennings and Smith on one edge isn't going to terrify any one and Jahrome Hughes is getting found out massively since Smith has departed.

I don't think it is a stretch to say that they win both last week and last night if Smith was there.

They've always done well with budget backs - cheyse blair, brenko lee - etc. That Olam character is starting to become a real liability though.

And Smith ain't no Smtih.

Valheru

Coach
They've always done well with budget backs - cheyse blair, brenko lee - etc. That Olam character is starting to become a real liability though.

Historically they have concentrated on maintaining a tremendous spine and a very good forward pack and just fill in the gaps at 2-5 as well as the bench.

Now they still have a very good forward pack at full strength but their spine of Paps, Munster, Hughes and Cheese looks far weaker than it has for a very long time even though they still have 2 superstars in there. It remains to be seen what Grant can add when he comes back. Roosters are in a similar situation with the spine and forwards but we also possess some x-factor in the 2-5 which looks to be missing at the storm at the moment.

They still have the capability to blow teams off the park like they did souths but the question mark when Smith finally left was always going to be about what would happen when the opposition kept the game close. So far they have failed both times that has occurred in 2021.

The Parra game was tough conditions and may still have been a loss with Smith there but I don't see anyway they lose last night with Smith there.

This Year?

Immortal
Can we finally write off the storm yet? Are they finally in decline?

Or will that prediction bite me on the arse just like every time I’ve previously made it?

Every. f**king. Time.

Me thinking about the Storm in decline:
tenor.gif

Sphagnum

Coach

George Jennings is a bigger liability than Anthony Milford’s dinner bill.

blaza88z

Coach
They still compete hard and make you have to beat them, they just don't have the brilliance of someone like a Cameron Smith anymore.. it's very much Munster or bust, last night their main attacking play was to bomb the Penrith winger

In years gone by they would've been getting a repeat set and grinding you into submission, they will still be a top 4 side this season but unless they have a great run with injuries, I can't see them threatening the likes of the Roosters

Having said all of that, if Olam passes the ball they win the game

big hit!

Bench
Put Paps and Grant in that spine and team and they're still a top 4 side easily.

The Cheese has a cult following, but he's not an elite #9s arsehole - he hasn't shown it yet anyway. Definitely more effective as a middle forward

moffla

Bench
Nothing has really concerened me from the two losses. Maybe our lack of compsure and we could, perhaps should, have won both.

There are moments where we certainly miss Smith (I don't think we lose last night with 5 to go with him in the side). But in our first three games, we've played premeirship contenders and certainly looked the part. Will we win the comp this year? Probably not...but with the side we have I don't think we are going anywhere anytime soon.

Apey

Staff member
There's no doubt there'll be a slide after losing the last and most important key on-field piece of their success for the last decade. Still, with some key players missing they went down narrowly to two top 4 teams from last year including the minor premiers and grand finalists. Not much cause for real concern for Bellamy yet, besides a few backline players. Olam has turned into an absolute mong in the last few games, not sure what thats about.

Now if they lose to the Broncos next week... they're completely done haha.

stryker

First Grade
I love these “Storm are gone” threads.
Some of the predictions and statements in the first 4 pages are hilarious. The one stating that the Storm were done as Smith was 30 is a favourite. 4 grand finals and 2 premierships later, that claim looks foolish beyond words. LMFAO.
Bet against them making the 8 at your own peril.

Can we finally write off the storm yet? Are they finally in decline?

Or will that prediction bite me on the arse just like every time I’ve previously made it?

Every. f**king. Time.

Aaaand there it is!!!

And I can’t wait for the midweek journo boors to quote stats like “first time Melbourne have a 1 and 2 record since before Cameron Smith played”.

They could easily be 3 and 0 if not for a play or two going their way.

They’ll finish ahead of way more teams that finish ahead of them.

Like resurrecting an older thread from the bowels of LU though, and reading through some of the user names from Christmases past ...

Tweed Titan

Bench
They will finish between 3rd and 6th IMO. They are still a quality team and they know how to manipulate the six again rule and slow the ruck down better than everyone else still.

SBD82

Coach
Aaaand there it is!!!

And I can’t wait for the midweek journo boors to quote stats like “first time Melbourne have a 1 and 2 record since before Cameron Smith played”.

They could easily be 3 and 0 if not for a play or two going their way.

They’ll finish ahead of way more teams that finish ahead of them.

Like resurrecting an older thread from the bowels of LU though, and reading through some of the user names from Christmases past ...
I’m not sure that you understood the tone of my post.

Valheru

Coach
I love these “Storm are gone” threads.
Some of the predictions and statements in the first 4 pages are hilarious. The one stating that the Storm were done as Smith was 30 is a favourite. 4 grand finals and 2 premierships later, that claim looks foolish beyond words. LMFAO.
Bet against them making the 8 at your own peril.

I haven't seen a single person predict they won't make the 8 this year

I’m not sure that you understood the tone of my post.

Yes mate I think I did.

And my reply wasn’t mean to be critical. Just that I can see bored journos looking at this age old question to work angles on.

I just watched a replay of last nights’ game they were showing at the pub. In Adelaide mind you. Geez it was a cracker. These two teams belong at the top of the tree, along with a couple of others, then there’s a gargantuan chasm to the rest of the field. Early days of course and who knows was injuries may befall clubs...

I just wish a team like mine could keep going like the Storm seem to be able to do year after year. Doesn’t matter who’s in those jerseys they just find a way to compete every season n win more than they lose.

stryker

First Grade
I haven't seen a single person predict they won't make the 8 this year
Lol one of those who talked their big players down in 2014...
Also, lol that they have no strike power in positions 2-5 JAC says hello and added to their gun fullback, gun 5/8 and potentially gun hooker, very good half and tough pack, they will be fine.

Incorrect

Coach
Put Grant, Finucane, Kaufusi and Papenmerkin back in that side that played last night, hell, even Brenko Lee, and they'll take some beating at the business end of the season.

Just on the Cheese... I really don't see him as a hooker. His service is very ordinary. I'm sure Barrett/Dogs and any other club looking to sign him are serenading him by saying he'll be their first choice 9, but I think his future is as a 13. Will he keep looking to get out of his contract if a coach moves him from the hooker position?