What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
NRL 2021: Cowboys giant Wiremu Greig quits club to join Eels finals crusade
Already down in the dumps after an inglorious start to the season, North Queensland have now lost one of their potential building blocks of the future to a Sydney club.

8th man for clubs to use from the bench should three of their players fail HIA throughout a match.

The Cowboys have been rocked by another player departure with hulking prop Wiremu Greig set to quit North Queensland to link with premiership contenders Parramatta.

News Corp can reveal the 124kg rookie is on the verge of signing a two-year deal with Parramatta and is expected to embark on an immediate move to Sydney to chase a premiership ring with the Eels.

As revealed a fortnight ago, Cowboys prop Frank Molo inked a three-year deal with the Dragons starting next season and he will be joined at the exit gates by fellow front-rower Greig.

eb69b8cad010089b5ae709ec01527b0d

Wiremu Greig has signed a two-year deal with the Eels.

The 21-year-old is off-contract at season’s end, but is eyeing an instant transfer to Parramatta following talks with Eels coach Brad Arthur.

The New Zealand-born Greig burst to prominence in February when the uncapped NRL bookend was plucked from obscurity to feature in the Maori All Stars side against their Indigenous rivals in Townsville.

The raw-boned prop impressed with a series of charges off the bench and Arthur sees Greig eventually playing a role in a middle-forward rotation headlined by Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Junior Paulo.

The towering 192cm Greig joined the Cowboys from New Zealand in 2017. He turned out for feeder clubs Northern Pride in 2018 and Townsville Blackhawks in 2019, but was restricted to just one game for the Pride in 2020 before the Intrust Super Cup season was cancelled due to the COVID crisis.

Cowboys coach Todd Payten had high hopes for Greig but the Eels have won the signature of the promising prop.

In January, Northern Pride coach Ty Williams told News Corp that Greig had the ability to be a genuine NRL front-rower.

“Wiremu is a bit of an old-school front-rower, and he fits into our group perfectly,” Williams said.

“He’s come through the 20s before and played only the one game at ISC level … (but) he’s obviously one of the biggest bodies in the NRL and if he gets his opportunity he’s going to take it with both hands.

“He’s been chomping at the bit. If I do get him for the trial, I’ll have to calm him down a bit because the big fella likes to get in and get it done, but he’s a massive asset for us if we do get him, and he’ll complement our team nicely.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/d536231735bbed040d17060c059a61df

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I remember seeing this kid in the All-Stars game and thinking he had a bit of something... I assumed he was injured considering he hadn't played for the Cowboys yet this year and how ordinary they have been going.

Main concern you would have is how someone that big will handle the speed of the game currently. I think BA will see him as a pet project and just flog the shit out of him until he can get a solid 30mins a game out of him and that's all we would require.

He will be a massive cult hero if he can crack NRL

84 Baby

Referee
I remember seeing this kid in the All-Stars game and thinking he had a bit of something... I assumed he was injured considering he hadn't played for the Cowboys yet this year and how ordinary they have been going.

Main concern you would have is how someone that big will handle the speed of the game currently. I think BA will see him as a pet project and just flog the shit out of him until he can get a solid 30mins a game out of him and that's all we would require.

He will be a massive cult hero if he can crack NRL
Yeah I saw him in All Stars and thought who the f**k is this mullet? I remember him being pretty energetic but dropsy.

Can’t coach being a big merkin. Big merkinism just comes naturally

84 Baby

Referee
We have had a sneaky look at a current rep winger still under contract to another club. And no, it’s not Mansour. I’ll be on the vinegar stroke if BA pulls this off (pardon the pun). I’m curious to see how long before it reaches the media.
Is it Gaiguy?

hindy111

Post Whore
We have had a sneaky look at a current rep winger still under contract to another club. And no, it’s not Mansour. I’ll be on the vinegar stroke if BA pulls this off (pardon the pun). I’m curious to see how long before it reaches the media.

For this season? PM me details
Thanks.

84 Baby

Referee
Let’s be honest Avenger would only go the vinegar stroke for one nationality.
So he’s obviously referring to Dane Gagovic or Daniel Tupuovic

Angry_eel

First Grade
Is BA trying to fit props into every position in our team or are we genuinely lacking in the forwards in the next few years?

Latest posts