What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

kit66

Bench
Blacker is at least 12-18 months off reaching NRL standard

Could be awesome

unfortunately for Blacker, none of us are getting any younger so we would prefer a couple of battle hardened quality. NRL props

If Blacker's not ready now he never will be. He played U18's SOO for Qld as starting prop against Haas and Oregon Kafusi the NSW props and aimed up ( quite aggressive if I recall ) and was good enough to keep Tino Fa'asuamaleuai on the bench. Those others named were given a shot and have gone on with and it's time for Eddie to get amongst it.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Wasn’t there issues (allegedly) between McGuire and other players at the Broncos? Where he was leaking locker room discussions to media? I can’t remember if it was Hunt targeted?
Anyone recall?

Maddragon99

Juniors
He’d be a welcome addition’: McCullough eager for McGuire reunion at Dragons
88aa4f183f66e524add6d6bd60a98cf8

Josh McGuire is unwanted at the North Queensland Cowboys Picture: Evan Morgan
Andrew McCullough has had no contact with former teammate Josh McGuire about a mid-season reunion at the Dragons. but says the disgruntled Cowboy would be a “welcome addition” if he were to link up with the Red V in the coming weeks.

McGuire has endured a frustrating month in Townsville, recently blasting his side for having a “soft underbelly” in the wake of their Round 3 loss to the Titans.

They were even worse against Cronulla, with the former representative forward shooting daggers at teammate Francis Molo for an errant offload that led to an error.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand with No Ad-Breaks During Play. New to Kayo? > Get your 14-day free trial now & start streaming instantly >

After the game, North Queensland coach Todd Payten confirmed the club was open to an early release if McGuire was able to secure his future elsewhere.

“We have had a conversation with his management and if he is able to secure an opportunity for next year we aren’t going to stand in his way,” he said, not ruling out an even earlier release.

placeholder.jpg

The Dragons, who have also been linked with Andrew Fifita, loom as a likely landing spot for McGuire given his links to coach Anthony Griffin as well as veterans McCullough and Ben Hunt.

The trio were coached by Griffin when the Broncos reached the inaugural Toyota Cup grand final in 2008, and played NRL together for close to a decade before Hunt moved to St George Illawarra in 2018.

‘ON THE PHONE’: Cowboy could make an early exit but there’s a big stumbling block

‘DISTURBING SCENES’: Saifiti sparks all-in melee after Knights star’s sickening KO

‘HEADBUTT ME FIRST’: Klemmer controversially placed on report after scrum scuffle

Fresh from captaining his side to a brutal win over the Knights, McCullough said McGuire would complement the team’s physical pack, but stressed he was out of the loop when it came to recruitment.

“There are obviously rumours and loopholes in rugby league, but I’m not too sure what the plan is. He’d be a welcome addition,” he told the NCA Newswire.

“It’s one of those things where you don’t want to get involved so I’ll just leave that up to the guys at the Dragons and Josh to work it out.

“Hook knows him very well so that’s up to him.

placeholder.jpg

“Adding any depth to our forward pack will only help, especially if it’s a bloke with his sort of experience. The blokes that are here are doing a fantastic job. We’ve won three on the trot and they deserve all the credit they get.”

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

McCullough has suffered through losing streaks and injuries in the past and hopes his mate can get back to enjoying footy after a horror month.

“It’s always tough seeing blokes you know going through stuff like that, but it’s more the fact that you also know what it feels like because everyone goes through times when you don’t know when the end is coming and when you can finally enjoy a win,” he said.

“Everyone goes through different moments in their careers where it’s tough, and he’s going through that now and he’s going to have to deal with it.”

Originally published as ‘He’d be a welcome addition’: McCullough eager for McGuire reunion at Dragons

LINESPEED

Juniors
I won't let Clune go, need him as a very steady backup.
CC

He’s OK
....but slow, steady & OK won’t win this title

Fear, speed & mongrel will.

This year

Remember once we were universally feared

....and nothing puts the opposition more off their game than good old fashion 1960’s fear

....Just ask Kevin Ryan RIP

Mason will eat his words under Hook

....And our forwards were hunting brutal & fearless on Sunday

....just look at Klemmer’s face -

a total legless reputational dismantling

Busted pleading with a ref FFS

& scared of a Dragon pack he didn’t see coming

....& throw McGuire, Fifita & Bird into that pack & Dave baby woulda been softcocking it back in the dressing room

All this in 4 weeks
with a fairly cobbled-together pack

.... & their bench? LOL

A brutal display boys!
After 11 yrs we’re back

Roll on 2021 - this is getting exciting

PS
And there’s even that nice Bennett hardman symmetry between ex-Raiders Weyman/Vaughan

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
If Blacker's not ready now he never will be. He played U18's SOO for Qld as starting prop against Haas and Oregon Kafusi the NSW props and aimed up ( quite aggressive if I recall ) and was good enough to keep Tino Fa'asuamaleuai on the bench. Those others named were given a shot and have gone on with and it's time for Eddie to get amongst it.
He is only 21, just cast you mind back to kerr 4 years ago and how he was going

Inisai Toga

Juniors
He’s OK
....but slow, steady & OK won’t win this title

Fear, speed & mongrel will.

This year

Remember once we were universally feared

....and nothing puts the opposition more off their game than good old fashion 1960’s fear

....Just ask Kevin Ryan RIP

Mason will eat his words under Hook

....And our forwards were hunting brutal & fearless on Sunday

....just look at Klemmer’s face -

a total legless reputational dismantling

Busted pleading with a ref FFS

& scared of a Dragon pack he didn’t see coming

....& throw McGuire, Fifita & Bird into that pack & Dave baby woulda been softcocking it back in the dressing room

All this in 4 weeks
with a fairly cobbled-together pack

.... & their bench? LOL

A brutal display boys!
After 11 yrs we’re back

Roll on 2021 - this is getting exciting

PS
And there’s even that nice Bennett hardman symmetry between ex-Raiders Weyman/Vaughan
Didn’t realise/ think Kevin Ryan had passed Linespeed?

LINESPEED

Juniors
Kandos himself wouldn’t be too pleased to hear that news either

Sorry Kev - at 86 (& counting) I see that you’ve had an amazing career.

And doing the due diligence I should’ve done, I see you’re an Ipswich lad,

been a Qld boxing champ ( certainly aligns with the fear factor),

parliamentarian, mayor, barrister, dual international, President of players association & winner of 7 titles with the Dragons from 1960-66!

BUT

You effin well captain coached the Berries to our defeat in the 1967 Final - which ended our 11 straight.

As I’ve said before, the ramifications of Kev’s loss turned out to be the most damaging in our history IMO

Yes Kandos was probably the most feared prop going around for a while.

... and opposing props would invariably exit the sheds post game with liberal kidney & side bruising courtesy of the vicelike grip of his massive hands in the scrum contest.

Apologies to you & your family
Kandos

...May the spirit of your power live on in our 2021 pack

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach

parliamentarian, mayor, barrister, dual international, President of players association & winner of 7 titles with the Dragons from 1960-66!

BUT

You effin well captain coached the Berries to our defeat in the 1967 Final - which ended our 11 straight.

As I’ve said before, the ramifications of Kev’s loss turned out to be the most damaging in our history IMO

... and opposing props would invariably exit the sheds post game with liberal kidney & side bruising courtesy of the vicelike grip of his massive hands in the scrum contest.

Kandos

In the early 70’s I lived in Peakhurst and after doing overtime on occasions shared a cab late at night from Riverwood station
with the great man who coincidently would always offered anyone going his way a shared ride

The front seats in the cab in those days were bench seats with a chrome bar around the back / top of it.

He would sit in the front stretch his arm out and hold the bar and his hands were indeed massive.

Very polite and always obliging and looked like the embodiment of of a Michelangelo statue carved out of the hardest granite imaginable.

I am blessed that I got to see him and the other greats grace the footy field wearing that famous St George guernsey.

LINESPEED

Juniors
In the early 70’s I lived in Peakhurst and after doing overtime on occasions shared a cab late at night from Riverwood station
with the great man who coincidently would always offered anyone going his way a shared ride

The front seats in the cab in those days were bench seats with a chrome bar around the back / top of it.

He would sit in the front stretch his arm out and hold the bar and his hands were indeed massive.

Very polite and always obliging and looked like the embodiment of of a Michelangelo statue carved out of the hardest granite imaginable.

I am blessed that I got to see him and the other greats grace the footy field wearing that famous St George guernsey.

A remarkable encounter OT.

We must be the permanent envy of other clubs.

How hard is it to go bac-to-back
let alone 1-11.

And they changed the rules twice to end our forward power

I was a nearby Penshurst boy in the 60’s & in the thick of legendary times at Jubilee with Dad

Dragon David

First Grade
I am proud that I was born at St George Hospital in 1947 and lived for a short period in Hurstville.

That is why I am such a staunch Dragons supporter and it was so unbelievable when I was growing up knowing that the premiership trophies stayed at the Dragons for 11 straight years.

It was an era that us Dragons fans will keep close to our chest and we know that there would not be a repeat of the success we had by any other club in the future. We were the envy of the other clubs' fans and we remain so even to this day. We had the best players and if there was a salary cap then, we would have been in a lot of trouble trying to hold onto them.

I think that we could have won more in succession had the rules not changed as Linespeed mentioned.

jak

Bench
I am proud that I was born at St George Hospital in 1947 and lived for a short period in Hurstville.

That is why I am such a staunch Dragons supporter and it was so unbelievable when I was growing up knowing that the premiership trophies stayed at the Dragons for 11 straight years.

It was an era that us Dragons fans will keep close to our chest and we know that there would not be a repeat of the success we had by any other club in the future. We were the envy of the other clubs' fans and we remain so even to this day. We had the best players and if there was a salary cap then, we would have been in a lot of trouble trying to hold onto them.

I think that we could have won more in succession had the rules not changed as Linespeed mentioned.
born in arncliffe in 1949 lived in hurstville in my early years,then beverly hills,both you and linespeed make me feel so much younger.

Last edited:

Overseas dragon

Juniors

BUT

Kandos

You can have a drink with him at his pub in NARWEE

Latest posts