What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd5: Eels v Dragons GAME DAY THREAD @ BankWest Stadium 11/4/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Despite years of evidence to the contrary, someone at parra still thinks Cartwright is a first grader.
It was a classic Bwyce game, he made one hit up when he ran straight and got hit in a decent tackle. After that it was sideways running, silly off loads and even a kick on the 3rd I think. Funniest thing is Bea looked shocked in the coaches box. Clueless.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep he either passes to Gutho way before the line or goes himself. So easy for the defence to read. I also don’t think he can throw a flat long ball left to right on the run with any confidence.
He hasn’t improved in attack at all since he debut, surely it’s on the coaching staff??? Actually if anything he looked better when he first came in. Bea loves coaching the footy out of his players, surely he’s just waiting to unleash the super cool moves???? Anytime now.........

yy_cheng

Coach
Aren't the trsiners no longer able to give advice to the players during the game?

Just listened to B's press conference and I would've thought he should've told the team not to go so sideways

T-Boon

Coach
Dylan Brown offers absolutely nothing as a half. Has not provided one line break assist all year. Everyone harps on about his running game but he has only produced 1 line break all year (tonight).He basically just takes hitups 2 off the ruck.

I thought last night was his best game but he has nothing as a passer. He doesn’t stand in the right place and/or players run off him on the wrong lines. He never puts anyone into a gap or gets good ball to the wing.

Glenn

First Grade
Can’t recall too many repeat sets forced on the Dragons by kicks to the in goal. More often than not a just a case of bombing it with little or no chase pressure.

Gronk

Staff member
I haven’t read the 16 pages of this thread (mainly becuase the site was slow and clunky last night) nor have I watched the replay) and here is what I thought from my possie at Bankwest.
  • Dragons matched us in the arm wrestling and because we coukd not bend the line as usual, that frustrated us.
  • They were flopping on every tackle to slow down our ruck play and clearly gave no f**ks about conceding 6 agains.
  • In attack, the Lane / Marata edge desperately needed a real centre with footwork and pace. Oldfield gets that gig immediately for mine.
  • Ray Stone is ineffective, Hipgrave every day of the week over him.
  • Cartwright is a huge human and looked dangerous every time he got involved in the play. Yes, he needs to have a calmer head and be more selective with his passes and kicks.
  • I had perfect sight of the Brown break / pass to Gutho and to say that Jnr impeded a defender was a joke.
  • I had even a better view of the penalty try and there is no way that you could say that the fullback 100% would have scored. That said Brown did grab his jumper so he should have got 10 after it declared a no try.
  • Finally the whole 6 again rule needs to be reviewed. In past years the disadvantage to the team who continued to slow down the ruck with f**kery and the flip-side advantage to the team burdened with the f**kery was huge. Yesterday STG could give away 6 on the first second and third in the middle of the field and manage to stifle momentum. The ref knew what was going on hence the sin bin of Sims, but they just continued to do it.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I wonder if BA still has confidence in his team that they won't panic?
Bird and Lomax are awesome. Griffins tactics were spot on. Looks like he will be a success. How will Gus spin his success? BA totally out coached last night.
Rankin must be included somewhere in the 17. Bench rotation remains gash. Papa our best last night easily. A great player.

Gronk

Staff member
Bird and Lomax are awesome. Griffins tactics were spot on. Looks like he will be a success. How will Gus spin his success? BA totally out coached last night.
Rankin must be included somewhere in the 17. Bench rotation remains gash. Papa our best last night easily. A great player.
Yes Bird and Lomax were great and Mennings and Waqa were desperately needed out there. Opacic and Lane or Marata just didn’t cut it.

Also Fergo - what a shit game. I had to hold my breath every time he got involved.

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach

Papa has surprised me. Been our best all year. How long is he signed for?

Noise

Coach
I thought last night was his best game but he has nothing as a passer. He doesn’t stand in the right place and/or players run off him on the wrong lines. He never puts anyone into a gap or gets good ball to the wing.
He is basically playing like an undersized edge forward who struggles to break the line with no passing game.

Noise

Coach
Yes Bird and Lomax were great and Mennings and Waqa were desperately needed out there. Opacic and Lane or Marata just didn’t cut it.

Also Fergo - what a shit game. I had to hold my breath every time he got involved.
Cartwright, Lane and Fergo were horrible. Gutho ran for 200m but I thought his decision making was very poor. Opacic is just a bit too small / weak. Gets dominated every tackle.

Papali'i our best by far.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
these games that involve a team producing off the charts line speed should see the broadcast go to wide focus so that we can see what is going on. Eels fans are all saying they were lineing up off sides and how is that not at least the most intriguing question in such a game. TV is too focused on the ruck.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Papalii's been excellent, so why the change from pretty much bog average at the warriors.

Could it be that the bald one has coached him to keep his game simple, run hard, run straight, nothing flash.

Nah, that'd be the result of good coaching, so beyond the realms of possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts