What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A role for John Morris?

• Sign him up now and sack Madge ASAP

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Nice guy but excess to requirements

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • A flip who can’t coach to save his life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A good assistant to help Madge

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Prefer not to answer

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
By any objective standards Johnny Morris has done a fair job at the Sharks. He didn’t inherit the best roster and they have shown some spark under his command.

I think he would bring a lot to the Wests Tigers in an assistant role with a view to the post Madge full time appointment, depending on his performance

His strengths are known to be in developing good player relationships ( which we seem to lack) and unusually, he walked the walk when they shafted him ( a sign of honour).

Votes and any comments welcome.

9CCD69F8-8E5B-4B5C-8CF7-0C9006A2E493.jpeg

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
Our very own Johnny Cronk back on board? How could we say no? Especially if he brings a cavalcade of young off contract stars from Cronulla with him, like Will Kennedy, Toby Rudolph and Siosifa Talakai. Mawene Hiroti, Connor Tracey and Braydon Trindall would provide some decent depth in all the right places too. Happy to wait a year for Royce Hunt, Briton Nikora, Hamlin-Uele and Brailey as well.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Morris was very popular with his players. I read the Sharks p.r, it was a bit brusque to Johnny.

But upping and leaving from an Nrl coaching position because you are insulted, takes guts.
Don't you think Madge is popular with the team as well? They always seem to speak highly of him.

John Morris by all reports had the players on his side, not so much the board, the team were competitive each week, how the players respond now will be interesting.In the age of being a professional business, very little professionalism was shown by the board, instead they were two faced and carried on like a sack of shit at the risk of sabotaging this season due to personal differences.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Sacking Potter (not re-newing contract), Taylor & then having Cleary walk out has got us in this position. Sacking Madge will set us back another 5 years. I can't believe some of you think that's the right decision. Even if it doesn't work out & he isn't here in 5 years time. He still needs to given his full contact length to try & turn it around.
Not having any stability in the coaching staff is a massive issue.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Sacking Potter (not re-newing contract), Taylor & then having Cleary walk out has got us in this position. Sacking Madge will set us back another 5 years. I can't believe some of you think that's the right decision. Even if it doesn't work out & he isn't here in 5 years time. He still needs to given his full contact length to try & turn it around.
I would give this more likes if I could, If we sacked Madge after our recent history with coaches we would be scrapping the bottom of the barrel for a replacement

Tiger05

First Grade

Yep. I blame Madge for the team not performing but I definitely wouldn't sack him.

Our very own Johnny Cronk back on board? How could we say no? Especially if he brings a cavalcade of young off contract stars from Cronulla with him, like Will Kennedy, Toby Rudolph and Siosifa Talakai. Mawene Hiroti, Connor Tracey and Braydon Trindall would provide some decent depth in all the right places too. Happy to wait a year for Royce Hunt, Briton Nikora, Hamlin-Uele and Brailey as well.

Lol there’s always a mercenary amongst us, willing to accept a Morris on condition of bearing gifts!

ghoti

Bench
Morris has done incredible work with the junior system at Cronulla from when he was signed up as a development guy on retirement in 2014. He did a huge job in redoing the way the juniors engaged with the senior squad, and was instrumental in going from a team with one or two juniors in the NRL 17 to this year's NRL side being half made up of the 2017 NYC side and 2019 Newtown side (both of which were successful). His upside is development, but I think he's got legs as an NRL coach, just not yet...but these 2.2 seasons would have taught him heaps.

If I were Wests, Morris is a perfect appointment for head of development with the plan to mimic his pathway at Cronulla. I'd get him an Madge in a room, tell them that Madge gets his full contract and Bomber's there to bring together a new crop of juniors and bring them to the NRL where he then takes over as head coach.

Clear and honest succession plan is something so few NRL clubs are stable and smart enough to do, but imo Wests are probably best placed to utilise a guy like Morris...and his club connection doesn't hurt either. It's a unique club that helps to have some long term insight on if you're gonna coach there

BrotherJim05

Bench
We have to reserve our judgement of Madge until the end of 2022. He came in with a plan, and that plan hasn't really taken shape yet. I think we will see it for what it is in 2022 when a lot of the dead weight has been cleared and those who can survive Madge's ruthless style are still standing. If we can't make the 8 in 2022 then yes, I think it's time to move Madge on and start again.

The only difference from this new iteration of the rebuild is that we will have huge amount of cap space and a competent manager in Hartigan.

I'm 100% all for signing Morris for 2022. Say whatever you want about the man, but the players f**king love playing for him. It will add a good layer between the boys and Madge, maybe something sorely needed.

If Morris can bring over a bunch of Sharks players wanting out and we can really see a strong roster put together with two strong NRL coaches in Madge and Morris at the helm then we can really judge Madge for where he has taken the club.

We have to reserve our judgement of Madge until the end of 2022. He came in with a plan, and that plan hasn't really taken shape yet. I think we will see it for what it is in 2022 when a lot of the dead weight has been cleared and those who can survive Madge's ruthless style are still standing. If we can't make the 8 in 2022 then yes, I think it's time to move Madge on and start again.

The only difference from this new iteration of the rebuild is that we will have huge amount of cap space and a competent manager in Hartigan.

I'm 100% all for signing Morris for 2022. Say whatever you want about the man, but the players f**king love playing for him. It will add a good layer between the boys and Madge, maybe something sorely needed.

If Morris can bring over a bunch of Sharks players wanting out and we can really see a strong roster put together with two strong NRL coaches in Madge and Morris at the helm then we can really judge Madge for where he has taken the club.

Some interesting issues raised.

Whilst the side hasn’t quite been on the same page, i largely attribute that to the number of new players and adjustments.

But I am more concerned with individual performances and Madge hasn’t been able to progress these as rapidly as we need.

I am sure he is shaking it up etc, but whatever methods are being deployed haven’t worked. I suppose we can wait until he gets the right formula, but it’s unknowingness of how long it will take that is difficult to handle.

At the moment, all we can look forward to is some marquee to come in 22 but unless we see the individuals progress within the current side who are contracted into next year, even that might not be everything we need.

So that’s the dilemma and why I think an intervention (assistant and/or sports shrink) is needed.

Madge has said he’s seen growth in the players and that’s probably true, but it’s not seen in games where it counts. We study hard and fail the test. Somethings holding us back. Players are not at optimum.

It’s not related to the club or jersey in any way. That argument doesn’t make any sense.

I’m not an nrl coach -I am just throwing this out there.

I don’t envy Madge or belittle his 300% efforts.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Some interesting issues raised.

Whilst the side hasn’t quite been on the same page, i largely attribute that to the number of new players and adjustments.

But I am more concerned with individual performances and Madge hasn’t been able to progress these as rapidly as we need.

I am sure he is shaking it up etc, but whatever methods are being deployed haven’t worked. I suppose we can wait until he gets the right formula, but it’s unknowingness of how long it will take that is difficult to handle.

At the moment, all we can look forward to is some marquee to come in 22 but unless we see the individuals progress within the current side who are contracted into next year, even that might not be everything we need.

So that’s the dilemma and why I think an intervention (assistant and/or sports shrink) is needed.

Madge has said he’s seen growth in the players and that’s probably true, but it’s not seen in games where it counts. We study hard and fail the test. Somethings holding us back. Players are not at optimum.

It’s not related to the club or jersey in any way. That argument doesn’t make any sense.
My history isn’t that good, but didn’t Panthers and Raiders suffer similar a while ago?

My history isn’t that good, but didn’t Panthers and Raiders suffer similar a while ago?

I think that’s right.

The club is very serious about Madge and his tenure, and I think that’s appropriate. He shouldn’t be fighting a rear guard action like Morris.

I was looking at the Sharks forum and some of them got stuck into his mum for speaking out.

I thought she was fabulous sticking up for her lad and she brought honour to the family.

Ffs She’s entitled to share her thoughts. Good on her.

Gronks

Just to play devils advocate, it’s unknown if the players would have put in an even worse performance if Madge wasn’t coaching. Some might wish to argue that. We don’t know do we?! Mmmm.

Just having a scientific @Twizzle moment!