What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
There aren't many NRL players with 'genuine pace', if you're talking about guys faster than Blake or Ferguson. They are all either undersized or insanely expensive.

No they are not. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow is not undersized and is still growing, a genuine speed machine and wouldn't cost the world.

And if you look at how in a decent team now that Tommy is back and changed an average team like Manly into a team full of confidence, look at what probably the fastest player in the NRL Jason Saab is doing. In crap teams most outside backs can look crappy unless they are power players and can make hitups or break tackles through sheer power.

But most are not going to do that if they are on the end of a sh*t teams backline. Saab has looked very ordinary up until today. Today he scored two tries and looked very switched on. Give him more time in a team that is playing well he will be fantastic.

We just need to be smart and recruit well when picking these speedster types of players and watch what they can do in good teams, not how badly the play in crap teams.

Manly were smart to poach Saab before he made a real name for himself and if he comes along as is expected will be very expensive. The Hammer could be in the same situation in a year or two and be out of our price range by then.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
Whilst natural speed is something you want in all outside backs, what is far more important is knowing when to run a line, when to hit a hole and when to push up in support.

We do these things consistently and our attack will improve.

You can't coach speed.

hindy111

Post Whore
Speaking of Melbourne, how good is Harry? I expected him to make a much needed difference to the Storm especially to their attacking structures but wow, what a performance in his first game back and first for him of the season.

I know the guy has only played about 20 NRL games, but I'll say it now. He is the best player in the NRL.

Period.

If I were building a roster from scratch right now, he would be the first player I would sign without a doubt. Then probably Cleary, and then Papenhuyzen.

On Pap, I prefer watching him to Tedesco. Pap I find excites me, Tedesco as good as he is, never excites me. I find his ability to bounce off players and break tackles obviously great and he deserves all the wraps, but I don't find him all that exciting to watch.

If Pap continues to play as he is, he is slightly ahead of Tedesco for mine. Oh and the stats for this year suggest that also, but there is barely a bees wick between them.

But back to Harry, what a player? If the Storm stay injury free, I rate them equal favourites with the Panthers for the title this year. Toss a coin on game day.

Turbo Tom when finished the best player in the game.
Harry Grant will have tape on him now. Lets see how he goes. Plus at the Tigers it's easy to do whatever you feel as a player. Lets see how he adapts to Bellamy first. I doubt he gets free reign.

hindy111

Post Whore
There aren't many NRL players with 'genuine pace', if you're talking about guys faster than Blake or Ferguson. They are all either undersized or insanely expensive.

Blake fast. Doubt many beat him over 100mtrs. His acceleration is not super but its good enough. Is Latrells better?

Penrith have no real speed star last season. Staines changed it but 2020 when they made GF? Mansour,Naden,Edwards,Toò and Critchton was the backline.

Dunster is quick. Penisini also can move and great feet.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't believe we can rely on our juniors. We don't have any real speedster in the lower grades that can match it with the quickest players in the NRL.

We need genuine pace not Fergo or Waqa pace otherwise why bother?

And from what I have seen of our lower grades, there is no one that stands out, at least not in the short term that can play NRL anytime soon.

We must breed them slow and dumb out our way now a days.

Will is a future genuine nrl player, he is 18 years old in his first year of senior footy and he is already making 100 plus metres a game in NSW cup with at least 30% being post contact metres...he will be ready soon

Waqa is contracted whether we like it or not so isn’t going anywhere

Thus with Sivo that leaves 1 backline top 13 spot open, spending money on more is a waste of cap space (of course we could sign back ups with speed)

Dibs

Bench
The referees have the discretion to give a penalty still, they just choose not to.

On the first is where they should be using that discretion, especially with teams that are cynically giving away the six again to set their line.
I thought this was the case too but have never seen it. Stuck in your line in the corner and all you get is one extra tackle is bullshit

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If Havili passed after being called held shouldn't it be a penalty? It was last week.

Wrong thread but whatever. I don't give a shit.
I've seen that happen about 8 times this weekend., guess what everyone was told to go back and play the ball on the mark.

f**k Henry Perenara's eyes!!!

TheRam

Coach
Turbo Tom when finished the best player in the game.
Harry Grant will have tape on him now. Lets see how he goes. Plus at the Tigers it's easy to do whatever you feel as a player. Lets see how he adapts to Bellamy first. I doubt he gets free reign.

I agree if Turbo Tom can stay injury free and those injuries don't restrict him, he and Harry will be the best 2 in the game. I rate Turbo better then Teddy or Pap when fully fit. Also Cleary seems to be getting better and better every year so he will be up there too.

As to how Bellamy lets Harry play, I don't think he will muzzle Harry's creativity. If anything he may simplify his game a little and give him clear direction, but he should, I'm sure, let him play what he sees.

Anyway if his first game back from injury is any indication, he went wild out there and the fans went wild for Harry.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

T-Boon

Coach
You can, actually. Running fast is a very technical skill and tweaking running styles is absolutely coachable.

Yep, surely a player can get faster just by dropping some weight. Eg Sivo.
Could Dylan Brown get faster by dopping 5kgs and working on his running technique?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep, surely a player can get faster just by dropping some weight. Eg Sivo.
Could Dylan Brown get faster by dopping 5kgs and working on his running technique?
A smaller player like Dylan Brown needs those extra five kilos more than the slight increase in speed he'd get by losing them.