What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests Tigers take over bid

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The Tigpies need a lot more than a new owner to turn themselves around. They need a playing group that actually give a shit first of all, and I should know.

MugaB

Coach
The Tigpies need a lot more than a new owner to turn themselves around. They need a playing group that actually give a shit first of all, and I should know.
A new owner means control over the board, he wants control, and i can see him ripping that club up and moving them to Perth.. but if it means Orange is the home color I'm happy if they are happy

Wizardman

First Grade
A new owner means control over the board, he wants control, and i can see him ripping that club up and moving them to Perth.. but if it means Orange is the home color I'm happy if they are happy
If they moved to Perth, Im pretty much done supporting them. I'll switch to the new Brisbane team as I live in SE Qld.

Wizardman

First Grade
There's also a rumour, backdoor Benny is going to sell the brand to Eastern Suburbs in QLD, so if that happens, YOU'RE IN LUCK PAL, as the team has moved to you
I could definitely cop that and remain a supporter. I support far away teams like Wigan RL and LA Lakers yet the Tigers moving to Perth would seem like the death knell of my support to the club. Being a Tigers supporter since 1988, I've been through way more shit times than good in following the game.
To be honest, Im not 100% sure if a move to Perth would end my support but it would test it considering the unhappiness I fee about the clubs direction over the last ten years.

MugaB

Coach
Tigers move to Campbelltown full-time or they have to leave really
Better sponsors closer to the city, i wouldn't move them permanently there, although training there fulltime is the better option, and in a few years time playing out of the Liverpool stadium they had proposed would solve their nomadic issues

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
I just don’t understand why they would sell . The nrl team is not making a loss and west’s Ashfield is wealthy . I can understand the tigers side selling but don’t see why WA would .
Also was funny when Ikin asked what he would bring or issues he identified... all I heard was results on field and board closer to coach and players ... well to me it says the fundamentals of the club is fine and they just got to get a ceo who can bridge the divide with board and nrl team

davi

Juniors
Whatever you want to say about Benny Elias. Just because he was behind a bid for a team in Perth eight years ago doesn't necessary means he wants to relocate the team to Perth. I think the talk on here is premature and kind of clutching at straws.

I also remembered years ago Elias complaining that the Magpies faction had taken over all the decision making. And wanted former Balmain Tigers (players, admin etc) to have more input into the club. That hardly spells out relocating them to Perth.

MugaB

Coach
Whatever you want to say about Benny Elias. Just because he was behind a bid for a team in Perth eight years ago doesn't necessary means he wants to relocate the team to Perth. I think the talk on here is premature and kind of clutching at straws.

I also remembered years ago Elias complaining that the Magpies faction had taken over all the decision making. And wanted former Balmain Tigers (players, admin etc) to have more input into the club. That hardly spells out relocating them to Perth.
I actually think its the other way and he'll sell the tigers brand to the Easts Firehawks bid...
Either way slimey will slime

betcats

Referee
It is some sydney businessmen lookin gto buy in and if they intend to move the club the sale will not go ahead IMO. The members will seek assurances or they wont sell their club.

davi

Juniors
I could definitely cop that and remain a supporter. I support far away teams like Wigan RL and LA Lakers yet the Tigers moving to Perth would seem like the death knell of my support to the club. Being a Tigers supporter since 1988, I've been through way more shit times than good in following the game.
To be honest, Im not 100% sure if a move to Perth would end my support but it would test it considering the unhappiness I fee about the clubs direction over the last ten years.

It would end the support of almost all Tigers fans from Sydney. There was reunion of Fitzroy Lions players and 90% of them admitted that they either follow a different Melbourne team or stopped supporting a team all together since they were merged with the Brisbane Bears.

It's why Billy Moore was talking bollocks about North Sydney Bears purchasing the Titans and sharing home games with the Gold Coast and North Sydney. The fans didn't support the Gold Coast Seagulls because the NSW fans thought they were a QLD team and the QLD fans thought they were a NSW team.

Last edited:
Somehow missed this news at end of lat week. Elias the face of a consortium trying to buy majority share holding in Tigers. He was on nrl360 this evening talking about it. Tony Sage had Elias front a possible Perth bid in 2013, could Sage be the money man behind the bid? If not who is?

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/wests-...r-buy-in/36a22ace-377a-4c1e-b3cd-6165f9bc60ea

Interesting to see how this plays out..

Elias is a pretty shrewd, astute, and successful businessman.., which is very rare for an ex rugby league player. I always thought that’s why he was hired in to front he Perth bid... to get attention because of his league profile but also coz he could actually talk some business... otherwise it’d be fronted by some no-name suit or a league boofhead .. I thought it was smart from the Perth bid although it didn’t reap the rewards..,apart from some publicity to get Perth in the conversation..

I don’t know the ins n outs of the tigers but they do need an overhaul, I don’t think Elias is out to get them moved at all.... I’m sure it’s to sort them out and keep them viable in Sydney to ensure they don’t get moved out.... When relocation pops up in the news, the Tigers are usually one of the first clubs mentioned.

They have an enormous growth area in Campbelltown yet only play 3 games a year there... that needs more attention and cultivation of juniors... They also need sponsors - absolutely - but you don’t need to be in the big smoke to get good sponsorship $$. Just look at Penrith...

I remember not too long ago, their “leagues club” was a bowling club in five dock... absolutely embarrassing...... yes they have Wests Ashfield too so that helps... but...

Like the Dragons, they are now 20+ years old but still haven’t seemed to become truly one club.... something has to change..

Let’s see how this pans out..

Latest posts