What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

BLM01

First Grade
I honestly think people are looking too much into this...I think that the decision was Hook's, as to who he wants to keep at the club...

Norman or Dufty...

They are both off contract at the end of the year and realistically Hook can't keep both...

Based on Hook's praise of Norman to the media, and the constant watering down of any positive comments that were put to him about Dufty's performances, I came to the conclusion a while ago, that Hook will choose to re-sign Norman and therefore Dufty would be shown the door...

I think that Norman, as pathetic as he has been for us for the last three years, will be re-signed, and the nightmare that we all thought was coming to an end this year, will continue into next year and probably beyond...

I pray to god that i am wrong, for all our sakes, but i can honestly see Norman being retained at the expense of Dufty, and I can see the fans turning nuclear on the club and this forum going into complete meltdown...

Praying I'm wrong 🙏
You’re forgetting about the money that they may be seeking for next has a big bearing although I don’t believe Norman will be retained
At the end of the day It is about value for money from each and every player

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting article on foxsports.com with Mick Ennis discussing Dufty topic with Hooper. Ennis makes some excellent points. His comments on Ramsey were interesting. Basically says that Ramsey is a coaches dream, works his butt off, great attitude, good for team culture but when it comes down to the nitty gritty of it doesn’t have the skill set of Dufty.
He also acknowledges Dufty isn’t a great defender but says that you don’t have guys like Benji or Dufty in your team for their defensive prowess.
So if ex players like Ennis, Anista, etc etc are all scratching their heads at Dragons decision why is it so many fans in here are happy to see the back of him. Do these ex players not have an eye for the game? Are they agenda driven? Or is it the fans that are agenda driven

For the record, I am happy to trust in the coaches here and if they want to move him on I think it’s more about attitude than anything else. But I do hope they have thought this one through and have a solid plan.
Cause this team lacks points without Dufty. That’s just a fact.
Ennis, Anasta, Hooper are all using Dufty as a conduit to keep bagging our club.

They are no being entirely objective in their assessment of what Dufty does and doesn't do just as they are with Norman & Hunt who rarely get bagged for totally inferior performances.

A point to consider re Dufty is that at times he brings to the table what our halves actually don't do which is our attack and points.

Now if we actually get our halves to bring that to the table and control what they currently don't do namely our attack then the requirement of the FB to be our avenue for points becomes less and we evolve into something more than a 1 man band.

So if Hook believes that he can improve our halves and most likely get some ball playing going in the forwards then he can look to have a much safer and more reliable custodian at the back and not be dependant on Dufty for 1 thing whilst he has to endure from him all the things that can lose you a game.

It is a fact that if others tackled more Dufty would have to do less but it is also true if our halves did their jobs better then we would be a much more balanced team in respect of our attack and whilst Hook sees the second part is "repairable" he has made up his mind and I agree Dufty's tackling ability, positional play and game management is not.

st.phil

Bench
Ennis, Anasta, Hooper are all using Dufty as a conduit to keep bagging our club.

They are no being entirely objective in their assessment of what Dufty does and doesn't do just as they are with Norman & Hunt who rarely get bagged for totally inferior performances.

A point to consider re Dufty is that at times he brings to the table what our halves actually don't do which is our attack and points.

Now if we actually get our halves to bring that to the table and control what they currently don't do namely our attack then the requirement of the FB to be our avenue for points becomes less and we evolve into something more than a 1 man band.

So if Hook believes that he can improve our halves and most likely get some ball playing going in the forwards then he can look to have a much safer and more reliable custodian at the back and not be dependant on Dufty for 1 thing whilst he has to endure from him all the things that can lose you a game.

It is a fact that if others tackled more Dufty would have to do less but it is also true if our halves did their jobs better then we would be a much more balanced team in respect of our attack and whilst Hook sees the second part is "repairable" he has made up his mind and I agree Dufty's tackling ability, positional play and game management is not.
for sure - the Fox team have a hard on for smashing Saints at any opportunity. Ennis may have some points but he was also one of the loudest critics of Hunt being made captain and throughout the Mcinnis saga... has form.

redv13

Bench
no way Dufty is going anywhere to be a backup. Will want 2mil over 3 years
2 mil over 3 years! If that’s what his manager is pushing for then see ya champion. For nearly 670,000 a season I’d want our fullback to catch everything and have a much better attitude

Interesting article on foxsports.com with Mick Ennis discussing Dufty topic with Hooper. Ennis makes some excellent points. His comments on Ramsey were interesting. Basically says that Ramsey is a coaches dream, works his butt off, great attitude, good for team culture but when it comes down to the nitty gritty of it doesn’t have the skill set of Dufty.
He also acknowledges Dufty isn’t a great defender but says that you don’t have guys like Benji or Dufty in your team for their defensive prowess.
So if ex players like Ennis, Anista, etc etc are all scratching their heads at Dragons decision why is it so many fans in here are happy to see the back of him. Do these ex players not have an eye for the game? Are they agenda driven? Or is it the fans that are agenda driven

For the record, I am happy to trust in the coaches here and if they want to move him on I think it’s more about attitude than anything else. But I do hope they have thought this one through and have a solid plan.
Cause this team lacks points without Dufty. That’s just a fact.

I rate Mick Ennis' opinions in the game. One of the few ex players who I think can be insightful and interesting.

I'm also mindful that - re agenda's - the media will have theirs, it's about clicks n ratings. I don't think Mick has an agenda but the shows he appears on will. As for fans - I don't think we have agendas - we have opinions. Whatever they may be.

On this - if you have the same discussion between Ennis & the others (which I admit I haven't seen yet as referred to here), after any other / previous round this year, you'd get a different angle. . Much like last year with discussions about Dufty on NRL360 when James Graham was involved. He was brilliant last Thursday.....but as for the previous rounds... not so much IMO. There's no doubt whenever there's a potential issue within the dragons Fox etc will target it, they happily proclaim dragons fans are the most vocal fans out there.... and so stoke the fire of controversy - in this instance, what is the clubs thinking on letting him go?

Controversy = headlines = clicks.

Yes, you don't hire Benji or Dufty for their defence - but unlike defending in the line with support, at fullback you're on your own trying to read where the play is heading, kicks coming down, knowing when to come up or drop back... it's non-stop... And that is part of a fullbacks' job description.

I think Ennis would be simply voicing his informed opinion. As would James Graham, and Cooper Cronk. Journalists may also voice theirs' but with their KPI's at play.

_Johnsy

Referee
The most frustrating thing I find with this current scenario is that we “appear” to have no real direction re: fullback replacement. None of the current crop of juniors fill me full of confidence they will be a better option than Dufty for 22 & 23. The club has said they will not be going to market to fill the FB position (although there was the caveat of as it currently stands & things can change quickly).

I would hope that the club are not that inept that they do not have a target that they believe we will land. Given recent history I have next to no confidence that this is in fact the case.

As thebigredv states, if the club (board/management & coach)leave us weaker next year in such an important position is ludicrous & negligent. I’m fascinated to see how this plays out.

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
The most frustrating thing I find with this current scenario is that we “appear” to have no real direction re: fullback replacement. None of the current crop of juniors fill me full of confidence they will be a better option than Dufty for 22 & 23. The club has said they will not be going to market to fill the FB position (although there was the caveat of as it currently stands & things can change quickly).

I would hope that the club are not that inept that they do not have a target that they believe we will land. Given recent history I have next to no confidence that this is in fact the case.

As thebigredv states, if the club (board/management & coach)leave us weaker next year in such an important position is ludicrous & negligent. I’m fascinated to see how this plays out.
None of the current crop are better than Dufty. There are no options out there better than Dufty.

Fair enough he's bad at defence. So he may or may not be a premiership winning fullback. But:

a) there's no-one better out there.
b) We aren't a premiership contender anyway.

So, surround him with better players... give him better coaching (than he's had in his career thus far)... and maybe we'll become a consistent finals team. So when a premiership-calibre fullback does become available, we'll actually be an attractive option for them. Surely.

Illusion

Bench
I honestly think people are looking too much into this...I think that the decision was Hook's, as to who he wants to keep at the club...

Norman or Dufty...

They are both off contract at the end of the year and realistically Hook can't keep both...

Based on Hook's praise of Norman to the media, and the constant watering down of any positive comments that were put to him about Dufty's performances, I came to the conclusion a while ago, that Hook will choose to re-sign Norman and therefore Dufty would be shown the door...

I think that Norman, as pathetic as he has been for us for the last three years, will be re-signed, and the nightmare that we all thought was coming to an end this year, will continue into next year and probably beyond...

I pray to god that i am wrong, for all our sakes, but i can honestly see Norman being retained at the expense of Dufty, and I can see the fans turning nuclear on the club and this forum going into complete meltdown...

Praying I'm wrong 🙏
Said the same a while back Hook keeps saying that Norman is a good footballer .... If that happens which its heading that way and he resigns him ..... then that will do me .....

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Said the same a while back Hook keeps saying that Norman is a good footballer .... If that happens which its heading that way and he resigns him ..... then that will do me .....
Hook can spend the rest of his days one on one coaching Norman and it wont change a thing imo.....at 30 years of age Coreys skill set, game management and attitude will not change.....our coach keeps telling us hes a good footballer.....the problem for our team is the good footballer doesnt turn up very often end of story

Crush

Coach
I rate Mick Ennis' opinions in the game. One of the few ex players who I think can be insightful and interesting.

I'm also mindful that - re agenda's - the media will have theirs, it's about clicks n ratings. I don't think Mick has an agenda but the shows he appears on will. As for fans - I don't think we have agendas - we have opinions. Whatever they may be.

On this - if you have the same discussion between Ennis & the others (which I admit I haven't seen yet as referred to here), after any other / previous round this year, you'd get a different angle. . Much like last year with discussions about Dufty on NRL360 when James Graham was involved. He was brilliant last Thursday.....but as for the previous rounds... not so much IMO. There's no doubt whenever there's a potential issue within the dragons Fox etc will target it, they happily proclaim dragons fans are the most vocal fans out there.... and so stoke the fire of controversy - in this instance, what is the clubs thinking on letting him go?

Controversy = headlines = clicks.

Yes, you don't hire Benji or Dufty for their defence - but unlike defending in the line with support, at fullback you're on your own trying to read where the play is heading, kicks coming down, knowing when to come up or drop back... it's non-stop... And that is part of a fullbacks' job description.

I think Ennis would be simply voicing his informed opinion. As would James Graham, and Cooper Cronk. Journalists may also voice theirs' but with their KPI's at play.
Yes, all good points.
I do however think fans also have agendas, weird as they may be.
Fan A decides they don’t like Dufty as a player due to xyz.
Fan B decides they love Dufty as a player due to abc.
All Fan A ever focusses on is xyz and completely ignores abc and vice versa for the opposite fan.
Then to win the internet each fan bangs on and on driving their agenda.
#forumlife

boardlumps62

Juniors
Simply put McGregor wasn't taking this team anywhere so the fans protested for 8 years felt like it anyhow. Didn't seem the Dragons bosses were listening. Eventually they realised sacked him and found a coach in Hook not too many takers some fans were happy. So he got this team currently in 8 spot with addition of some second rate players no one wanted. Yes fans want wingers and centres and forwards for our team but what we have surprises us fans some times. Fans will never be happy unless we have a team of champions who always perform like Storm but we don't because we have Salary Cap issues apparently. So as a fan I see Dufty as an important part of our team for maybe $450k to 500k maybe $600 for 1 or 2 yrs and look for his replacement. We could get rid of JP and Ramsey (I'm not that rapt to small) replace them with Fengai Boys and get rid of Norman on $800 and replace him with Junior Amone or Sullivan. I want Hook to show his hand.

denis preston

First Grade
Hook is no messiah FFS.

He was never 1st choice.

Others were all sounded out

- & Hasler for one was a far more savvy operator with runs on the board

... Hook doesn’t warrant the rather blind faith & trust many are according him.

He’s essentially clammed up or been rather muzzled at the pressers over the farcical Dufty controversy

Despite 2 ex coaches assisting him, the Broncs game was the 1st to show a hint of a game plan.

...But of course replicating the training paddock is a cinch against this Bronc outfit

And despite being initially more affable,
& being able to hang a sentence together in his laconic Bennett ways
& having 40+ higher IQ points than Mc Lost-In-Space

.... decision-wise there have been some disturbing parallels to the catastrophic prior decade

- especially so of course with our yet uncleansed Board rotting from the top

...and one that is yet again ignoring the fan base with the barricades now up again

- this time over the very understandable petition

More is going on with the Duff imbroglio than meets the eye -

and it’s a symptom of the malaise.

Has this extraordinary player retention issue
that’s now seemingly engulfed the Club & NRL
ever played out in this way before?

To cut to the chase:

Duff’s made Hook look a whole lot better than he is.
Therefore Duff must go
...if a favoured son is soon to return
QED

All else defies footy logic ATM

Hook won’t be extended.
No way

These were just 2 sacrificial, intermediate years,

.... with lip service being paid to ‘plans’ for juniors

And I deplore conspiracy theories lol

Nah we’re still rotten/rotting from the head

.. .& again we have 10,000 fans screaming & petitioning as much

...as again, across the NRL, they look on in disbelief
Jesus, haven't left the pitchfork & burning cross in the garage long have you ! Judge Dufty against the top 6 sides and i think you will find the clubs showing interest in him are doing the same. Still will find a home but depending on performances against sides that can play his contract will vary between 450k - 650k.