What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Nicholas Kosic

Juniors
You’re forgetting about the money that they may be seeking for next has a big bearing although I don’t believe Norman will be retained
At the end of the day It is about value for money from each and every player
I hope you are right about Norman.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There's a huge number of factors that make up a footballer. We only see the weekly product, we are not privy to the daily goings-on of a player. These may include, training, being coached, listening to structures, accepting critisism along with the accolades, buying-in to the 'culture', to name a few.

We, the outsiders, tend to microscopically focus on one aspect, two if we're observant enough, and it's only what we see on game day, good or bad.

This is the point with Duff. No-one, even the coaching staff, don't doubt his attacking flair or the x-factor play, but, that's not all that make up a footballer, including Dufty.

Just remember the old adage: "there is no I in team". Then you'll get the reasoning behind the decision, as it currently stands.

Whether we have a replacement ready, be that Ramsey, Sloan or even Lomax, is irrelevent, if the incumbent doesn't want to be party to what's trying to be achieved, because then we will always go sitting on this merry-go-round of what is and what could be.

Gareth67

First Grade
There's a huge number of factors that make up a footballer. We only see the weekly product, we are not privy to the daily goings-on of a player. These may include, training, being coached, listening to structures, accepting critisism along with the accolades, buying-in to the 'culture', to name a few.

We, the outsiders, tend to microscopically focus on one aspect, two if we're observant enough, and it's only what we see on game day, good or bad.

This is the point with Duff. No-one, even the coaching staff, don't doubt his attacking flair or the x-factor play, but, that's not all that make up a footballer, including Dufty.

Just remember the old adage: "there is no I in team". Then you'll get the reasoning behind the decision, as it currently stands.

Whether we have a replacement ready, be that Ramsey, Sloan or even Lomax, is irrelevent, if the incumbent doesn't want to be party to what's trying to be achieved, because then we will always go sitting on this merry-go-round of what is and what could be.

Well put Dragonslayer .

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

All unarguable- but it could also be turned around and argued that equally important factors are the coach, his style and manner, and the fairness of his expectations . For example, we know that Dufty and Flanagan were working together on his game when Flanno was an assistant to Mary and Dufty was glowing in his praise of Flanno's input. Certainly Dufty's passing game seemed to go to a new level about that time so we know with the right input, Dufty could be receptive to advice and did improve.

Also, if there is a perception that the coach plays favourites and that he tolerates mistakes and mediocrity from a player like Norman on ridiculous money, without dropping him, while expecting you, on much lower money, to improve or be punted, isn't it natural this could trigger resentment?

Further to @blacksafake 's post earlier - Interesting read. And if indeed the issues mentioned here are correct.... how the hell is he gonna survive in Canberra under Ricky??

He'll need to take some pretty heavy-duty ear muffs so he doesn't get too upset..

"The Big Sports Breakfast panel — like many people in the NRL world — struggled to understand why the Dragons are willing to let Dufty go. Especially after his two-try, five try-assist performance against the Broncos on Thursday.

Weidler revealed that it could have something to do with his attitude.

“I’ve been making a lot of calls about it and the best reason I can get — this is not my opinion, it’s what I’m being told — is that Matt Dufty doesn’t necessarily take criticism well from a coach,” he said.

“I think if that’s the reason he’s being let go or not wanted by the Dragons, I’d be persisting with him if I was the Dragons. I’d trying to get the best out of him, I’d be sitting him down and helping him work through that.

“That may even be a slightly old criticism of him and maybe he has been working on that. I find it quite fascinating that they’ve let what I think is their best attacking weapon go.”

boardlumps62

Juniors
Seriously if Hook wants The Milf over The Duff the assistant coaches both who played for the Dragons should get someone to talk about loyalty at the club I'm thinking about is Ben Creagh. Ben Hornby and Jason Nightingale maybe Albert but his son was shown the door and Albert sacked as coach. Nah sorry cupboards a bit bare on the loyalty thing with the Dragons.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
The most confusing element is you typically release a player to upgrade to something better. Can’t see anyone available that is better then Dufty for the next 1-2 years when a Ramsey or Sloan could be ready. Would love to see the balance of tries created/scored versus tries let in to truly measure which way the pros and cons balance out.

Nicholas Kosic

Juniors
All unarguable- but it could also be turned around and argued that equally important factors are the coach, his style and manner, and the fairness of his expectations . For example, we know that Dufty and Flanagan were working together on his game when Flanno was an assistant to Mary and Dufty was glowing in his praise of Flanno's input. Certainly Dufty's passing game seemed to go to a new level about that time so we know with the right input, Dufty could be receptive to advice and did improve.

Also, if there is a perception that the coach plays favourites and that he tolerates mistakes and mediocrity from a player like Norman on ridiculous money, without dropping him, while expecting you, on much lower money, to improve or be punted, isn't it natural this could trigger resentment?
If there are signs of favoritism it doesn't bode well for the future.

Walpole

Juniors
Milf over Dufty? How long until we finally get the 2015 Broncos team together? That Corey Oates looks like a good strong winger...

Latest posts