What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

possm

Coach
Boardlumps Dufty gets picked every week because he runs like the wind, has scored 44 NRL trys in less than 4 seasons, has developed a sublime passing game and without him we are pedestrian in attack.
Dufty has been told he is not needed for season 2022 and beyond for reasons known to most Saints followers. Who will take his place is still unknown to us however, I assume Griffin has the answer.

Like with Norman, Dufty is being selected because right now there is no player better at the Club. If a junior is to be fullback next year, Griffen mus teel he is not ready as yet. I am sure Sullivan will be given a run at 6 once he is fully fit.

Sometimes to improve a team, a club needs to recruit players and the most efficient way to do this is to look at who is off-contract and by letting them go, cap space is created. So, in my opinion, that off-contract at the end of this season are the first players looked at when it comes to cap space needed.

Are our young guns ready for the fullback position? Well, I don't really know however, I have a feeling that Lomax and Ramsey won't be our fullback in 2022. We still have to see if Sloan or Stewart are options however, I think it is too early for them. So I am coming to the conclusion that Griffin has an already established first-grade fullback in mind and just can't fit Dufty into his plans for whatever reason.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Talk about a character assassination.
- Dufty was the "cause" of all Bronco's tries? Yeah right.
- Defensive issues under a number of coaches? How about under one perennially useless coach.
- Dufty isn't Tedesco, Trjbojevic or Gutherson? Fair enough, but then
- we don't want to spend more than $500k on a fullback. Hello? Anyone home? Tedesco/Turbo/Gutho and $500k are mutually exclusive.
- Dufty isn't great at defusing kicks? OK, but turns out he isn't the worst either. Maybe we should make a play for Isaako who has a 7.3% better success rate at kick defusal.
- Hasn't had success at the Dragons in the last five years? How on earth is that Dufty's fault? You may as well sack the entire side based on that logic.
- Attitude? Raises this as an issue then makes the point that this is based solely on speculation.

I sincerely hope the Dragons didn't feed this drivel to Chammas.
FMD

Yeah mate

It seems there’ll be a lot of Forumites suffering their own performance anxieties unless Duff’s sacked, drawn & quartered.

Weird as

.... And they’re playing right into the Chairman’s hands in the undermining of Hook & the return of Deano in 2023 or sooner.

.... Chaos in motion with unfettered power

BLM01

First Grade
- Defensive issues under a number of coaches? How about under one perennially useless coach.
- we don't want to spend more than $500k on a fullback. Hello? Anyone home? Tedesco/Turbo/Gutho and $500k are mutually exclusive.
- Dufty isn't great at defusing kicks? OK, but turns out he isn't the worst either. Maybe we should make a play for Isaako who has a 7.3% better success rate at kick defusal.
- Hasn't had success at the Dragons in the last five years? How on earth is that Dufty's fault? You may as well sack the entire side based on that logic.
- Attitude? Raises this as an issue then makes the point that this is based solely on speculation.

Why is it drivel, why is it character assassination.
It could be the truth and when you understand defence these days it does make sense.
It is a chance for the other side (club or Hook) to defend their decision which they are entitled to after the (drivel and club or Hook assassination as you call it) coming for a week or 2 from people that cant see past certain parts of the game
It is a high profile most likely important position on field
I get it seems to be picking on 1 person and a blame for losses but its not...it is explaining parts of the game he needs to work on and has not achieved

I agree right this minute he is better than Cody, Sloan or even Birdy who are options within.. , that is why he is still getting picked there now and understand the confusion and outrage as cant see anyone better right now.
I can longer term or even next year with Cody? we shall see, I am going to go with the coach on this one for now.
I think there is some younger stars (Cobbo and Campbell) out there from other clubs that also scream potential and are very young ..we might be looking at those, who knows

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
It could be the truth and when you understand defence these days it does make sense.
It is a chance for the other side (club or Hook) to defend their decision which they are entitled to after the (drivel and club or Hook assassination as you call it) coming for a week or 2 from people that cant see past certain parts of the game
It get it seems to be picking on 1 person and a blame for losses but its not...it is explaining parts of the game he needs to work on and has not achieved

I agree right this minute he is better than Cody, Sloan or even Birdy who are options within.. , that is why he is still getting picked there now
Longer term or next year we shall see, I am going to go with the coach on this one for now.
I think there is some younger stars (Cobbo and Campbell) out there from other clubs that also scream potential and are very young ..we might be looking at those, who knows

I Thought Cobbo signed a deal with Broncos

BLM01

First Grade
I Thought Cobbo signed a deal with Broncos

I believe it is only to the end of next year, but could be wrong. If they have locked him up long term that is good, earl;y days but he looks good and runs hard and not spooked for the collision for a young bloke
Campbell from the Titans is a goer and will always be behind AJ there for a while
That lack of fear I have not seen enough from Matt Dufty in tackling or collision in attack

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
It get it seems to be picking on 1 person and a blame for losses but its not...it is explaining parts of the game he needs to work on and has not achieved

I agree right this minute he is better than Cody, Sloan or even Birdy who are options within.. , that is why he is still getting picked there now
Longer term or next year we shall see, I am going to go with the coach on this one for now.
Of course it's drivel and character assassination when they single out one bloke, highlight only his deficiencies without considering his good points, and then infer the teams lack of success is because of him. It's drivel when Chammas says he is the cause of all the Broncos tries. It's drivel when Chamma compare him to Gutho/Turbo/Tedesco and then says the club doesn't want to spend more than $500k on a fullback. It's drivel when its stated that Dufty hasn't played in a successful side - it might be true but the same applies to the rest of the team. It's drivel when they say he hasn't improved under the coach when they haven't looked at who that coach was.It's drivel to state there is an attitude issue and then state it is based on speculation. I can't think of any player who has had such a one sided article written about them.

As I said, I hope the club didn't feed this drivel to Chammas.

BLM01

First Grade
Of course it's drivel and character assassination when they single out one bloke, highlight only his deficiencies without considering his good points, and then infer the teams lack of success is because of him. It's drivel when Chammas says he is the cause of all the Broncos tries. It's drivel when Chamma compare him to Gutho/Turbo/Tedesco and then says the club doesn't want to spend more than $500k on a fullback. It's drivel when its stated that Dufty hasn't played in a successful side - it might be true but the same applies to the rest of the team. It's drivel when they say he hasn't improved under the coach when they haven't looked at who that coach was.It's drivel to state there is an attitude issue and then state it is based on speculation. I can't think of any player who has had such a one sided article written about them.

As I said, I hope the club didn't feed this drivel to Chammas.
As I said it had come from both sides

getsmarty

Immortal
I believe it is only to the end of next year, but could be wrong. If they have locked him up long term that is good, earl;y days but he looks good and runs hard and not spooked for the collision for a young bloke
Campbell from the Titans is a goer and will always be behind AJ there for a while
That lack of fear I have not seen enough from Matt Dufty in tackling or collision in attack

From what I have heard we are not in the market for a fullback...May change...they are looking at forwards...will depend on who else they let go....

getsmarty

Immortal
We shall see.. JP is going
I know he is off contract
We are ok for backs...we may need some "filler" signings until the younger guys are ready for the top grade...we have Sloan/Feagai x'2/Ramsey/lomax/Rava/Sullivan/Armone/Schiller .........

thebigredv

First Grade
From what I have heard we are not in the market for a fullback...May change...they are looking at forwards...will depend on who else they let go....
You guaranteed we have signed a representative forward based on someone's comments on JA forum. Is this still the case or should we start to panic now.

It's one thing to shed players but you need to have someone better to replace them. I like what I see from the Feagais, and Sloan is apparently the bees knees. Ramsey is finding it harder than we all hoped for. We've already missed the talent pool, I'd like to at least know Griffin's plans but it's top secret which may be code for having no idea. Maybe a one year extension was/is warranted for Dufty.

getsmarty

Immortal
You guaranteed we have signed a representative forward based on someone's comments on JA forum. Is this still the case or should we start to panic now.

It's one thing to shed players but you need to have someone better to replace them. I like what I see from the Feagais, and Sloan is apparently the bees knees. Ramsey is finding it harder than we all hoped for. We've already missed the talent pool, I'd like to at least know Griffin's plans but it's top secret which may be code for having no idea. Maybe a one year extension was/is warranted for Dufty.

Please don't put words in my mouth....I didn't guarantee anything...We are in negotiations with a number of forwards....It's a public forum so I am not going to say anything else....

And yes I expect the " Share it/ your full of C#ap" comments....if they occur then my reply is...

"Get your own Mail "....people share from solid sources and then others put rubbish on them....I have been on here for over 10 years...plenty of reliable posters have left for this reason...

You need to bring the young guys through....they will make mistakes... the coaching staff ( who are far more experienced than our previous 2 coaches ) know what they are doing...

Your comment ,,Griffin's plans are top secret which is code for has no idea is just plain Silly....

I will counter your comment with, which other coaches come out and tell you their plans ?

Sorry this is just nonsense...Griffin has the runs on the Board in terms of bringing the young guys through....

If as posters claim, Keep Dufty , we probably lose Sloan or Ramsey and then people will be complaining that the club let them go..ala Garrick etc You can't have it both ways.

We are actively looking...Wait for the club to announce it....

For now, that's it....This place is imploding...people need to get a grip....Dufty is going...there are reasons...its time to move on....So many irrational/emotive false comments on here....people just creating their own narrative....anyway, I am not here to argue with you or anyone else....I love our club...I understand supporters are passionate but you don't undo 8 years of rubbish overnight.

you are entitled to your opinion...

Have a good afternoon and go the Dragons.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
Please don't put words in my mouth....I didn't guarantee anything...We are in negotiations with a number of forwards....It's a public forum so I am not going to say anything else....

And yes I expect the " Share it/ your full of C#ap" comments....if they occur then my reply is...

"Get your own Mail "....people share from solid sources and then others put rubbish on them....I have been on here for over 10 years...plenty of reliable posters have left for this reason...

You need to bring the young guys through....they will make mistakes... the coaching staff ( who are far more experienced than our previous 2 coaches ) know what they are doing...

Your comment ,,Griffin's plans are top secret which is code for has no idea is just plain Silly....

I will counter your comment with, which other coaches come out and tell you their plans ?

Sorry this is just nonsense...Griffin has the runs on the Board in terms of bringing the young guys through....

If as posters claim, Keep Dufty , we probably lose Sloan or Ramsey and then people will be complaining that the club let them go..ala Garrick etc You can't have it both ways.

We are actively looking...Wait for the club to announce it....

For now, that's it....This place is imploding...people need to get a grip....Dufty is going...there are reasons...its time to move on....So many irrational/emotive false comments on here....people just creating their own narrative....anyway, I am not here to argue with you or anyone else....I love our club...I understand supporters are passionate but you don't undo 8 years of rubbish overnight.

you are entitled to your opinion...

Have a good afternoon and go the Dragons.

I apologise, looking back you said another poster had confirmed this and did not guarantee it yourself. Sorry about that.

You do seem very certain in Hook's plans for someone that doesn't actually know any more than I. Personally, I think you are a touch generous towards the coach when it comes to this aspect. He should be building a better squad. Molo will add, Dufty will take away unless an all rounder is brought in to play perhaps the most position in the game at the moment. We are leaving way too much to chance, and for what reason when there is cap available, and not to mention the weaker teams have all strengthened their squads for next year.

The silence on recruitment is deafening. In the past we have been told to trust in the juniors and that didn't work out too well. Some are killing it at other clubs (Leilua, Saab, Garrick) and others are struggling in fg or on their way out.

Factually speaking, the best talent available has been snapped up. We have currently got a massive hole in fullback for next year (Sloan currently too young, Ramsey currently not grasping his opportunity) and at five-eight. These are key positions. It seems lazy to me to sign some utility or just say we'll have it covered by the young blokes. That's not premiership aspirations you want to see. It's more of making up the numbers.

Please don't get me wrong:
I love what I see from Feagais.
Amone seems to fit in in fg.
Sullivan is an exciting prospect if he could only get on the field.
I want Ramsey to work, I really do

May I also say I am happy with Griffin as coach. He has all in all with better structure and better spirit but I will not give him a free pass just because he isn't Mary.

Old Timer

Coach
lol some people wanted an "explanation" re why Dufty is on the outer and when they get it they criticise it and call it bad form, FMD you wanted some answers / reasons / theories and now you have got some be happy and stop whining about why some people think he should be moved on.

If you took 5 minutes to stand on the side that believe he has flaws then the article makes complete sense and is in the news because people were demanding answers and criticising the club for the lack there of.

People suggesting we should offer him a 1 year contract FMD Dufty is looking for more than 1 year and an increase in $$$ and by accepting a 1 year deal to stay he would harm his future prospects as it would make it look like he has few choices (that may in fact be true anyway) so his manager is playing the long game.

Why is he scrutinised so heavily, well he is off contract and looking for a new one and we being the supporters we are analyse everything to the nth degree and the media love that, use it and inflame the situation in an effort to keep it at the forefront of the news cycle.

Last edited:

boardlumps62

Juniors

Exactly but forgive me whose Chammas

getsmarty

Immortal
I apologise, looking back you said another poster had confirmed this and did not guarantee it yourself. Sorry about that.

You do seem very certain in Hook's plans for someone that doesn't actually know any more than I. Personally, I think you are a touch generous towards the coach when it comes to this aspect. He should be building a better squad. Molo will add, Dufty will take away unless an all rounder is brought in to play perhaps the most position in the game at the moment. We are leaving way too much to chance, and for what reason when there is cap available, and not to mention the weaker teams have all strengthened their squads for next year.

The silence on recruitment is deafening. In the past we have been told to trust in the juniors and that didn't work out too well. Some are killing it at other clubs (Leilua, Saab, Garrick) and others are struggling in fg or on their way out.

Factually speaking, the best talent available has been snapped up. We have currently got a massive hole in fullback for next year (Sloan currently too young, Ramsey currently not grasping his opportunity) and at five-eight. These are key positions. It seems lazy to me to sign some utility or just say we'll have it covered by the young blokes. That's not premiership aspirations you want to see. It's more of making up the numbers.

Please don't get me wrong:
I love what I see from Feagais.
Amone seems to fit in in fg.
Sullivan is an exciting prospect if he could only get on the field.
I want Ramsey to work, I really do

May I also say I am happy with Griffin as coach. He has all in all with better structure and better spirit but I will not give him a free pass just because he isn't Mary.

Griffin has been in charge for less than half a season....With all due respect, even Wayne Bennett or a Bellamy couldn't turn things around as fast as you and many others are expecting.....

McGregor and Price were in charge for 9 years....How about giving Griffin at least 2 years to undo the mess before expecting to see massive change....

Go back and have a look at some of our games from the previous years... people have short memories....

Without going into detail, things are different re recruitment....we no longer pay Top dollar/overs like we did in the past...that is why things can change re recruitment... Griffin is a smart operator.... not my opinion....from a solid source ...Will not pay overs...currently McGuire and others are being subsidized by their former clubs.....I will leave it at that...

People need to give the guy a chance....Our squad was always weak in depth this year thanks to you know who....Rome wasn't built in a day....

P.S Re Ramsey not grabbing his opportunity @ Fullback...How many games has he played there in the Top Grade....2 ? Its definitely less than 4... Your comments are not factual...as to what I know or don't...maybe go back and look @ some of the things I quoted...Re Host , McGregor extension etc

Your comments are based on your obvious passion for our club and what we all want to see happen...which is eventual success.

I am in total agreement with you on this...we all want success....lets just give the coach and current staff our support for at least until halfway through next year...surely that's more than fair.

Last edited: