What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

mickeylane

Bench
Dufty has been told he is not needed for season 2022 and beyond for reasons known to most Saints followers. Who will take his place is still unknown to us however, I assume Griffin has the answer.

Like with Norman, Dufty is being selected because right now there is no player better at the Club. If a junior is to be fullback next year, Griffen mus teel he is not ready as yet. I am sure Sullivan will be given a run at 6 once he is fully fit.

Sometimes to improve a team, a club needs to recruit players and the most efficient way to do this is to look at who is off-contract and by letting them go, cap space is created. So, in my opinion, that off-contract at the end of this season are the first players looked at when it comes to cap space needed.

Are our young guns ready for the fullback position? Well, I don't really know however, I have a feeling that Lomax and Ramsey won't be our fullback in 2022. We still have to see if Sloan or Stewart are options however, I think it is too early for them. So I am coming to the conclusion that Griffin has an already established first-grade fullback in mind and just can't fit Dufty into his plans for whatever reason.
Possm I still think Milford and Mbye will be covering 1 and 6 in 2022.. just have a strange feeling that Hook is going to give the younger brigade an extra year or 2 to get the feel of 1st grade.. 2023/24 we should be seeing the Sloans, Fegais, Schillers, Sullivan’s, Ramsay’s, Lomax, really shining ..

boardlumps62

Juniors
Michael Chammas was the bloke who wrote the article for the SMH. Not sure where he gets his info from or how reliable he is.
Thanks JMJ I just looked it up. These blokes need to write a story and stir the pot but he might have sat down with Hook who said 'now look these are the reasons Dufty is going blah blah ....but don't say I told you ok'.
It's not me saying this but learned people like Scott Sattler " State of Origin is about speed speed across the park".
Enough said as far as I'm concerned something is seriously wrong at the Dragons.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Possm I still think Milford and Mbye will be covering 1 and 6 in 2022.. just have a strange feeling that Hook is going to give the younger brigade an extra year or 2 to get the feel of 1st grade.. 2023/24 we should be seeing the Sloans, Fegais, Schillers, Sullivan’s, Ramsay’s, Lomax, really shining ..
Hook has a 2 year contract?

boardlumps62

Juniors
I was thinking who did Duff replace as our fullback. Well go back to 2017 this is what happened and Duges agent chased the money and he went to Sharks (think that's how it was?)

'Dufty also notched up 22 try assists in last season's Holden Cup while Dugan managed one in the NRL, with the contrasting styles a welcome headache for coach Paul McGregor.

Adding a layer of intrigue is the fact Dugan revealed he is hoping to have his future at the club resolved before the season kicks off in March.

"It's really up to Mary (McGregor) and Dugan and none of them have really spoken about it," Dufty told Fairfax Media.

"I've really been the only fullback on the roster at training, which is good for my experience leading the boys around.

"But it's good to have Duges back (and I'm) learning a few tips off him."

Dugan confirmed to foxsports.com.au he wants his future to remain with the Wollongong-based club.

"I’m looking to get something sorted before the seasons starts, I don’t want anything hanging over my head going into the season," Dugan said.

"I want to be able to focus on playing good footy for the club and hopefully the rest falls into place.

"My thinking is I’ve probably only got one big contract left in me.

"I’m 27 this year, my thinking is I want to be playing some good footy for the rest of my career, but I think this is my last big contract — the age starts kicking in and the numbers start going down."

The Dragons have a number of options in the back line this year, with Jason Nightingale, Euan Aitken, Nene Macdonald, Tim Lafai, Kurt Mann, Taane Milne and Kalifa Faifai Loa available for selection.'

And look at backline options think Jason Nightingale had a go a fullback and Kurt Mann. Apart from Jason we didn't have much.

getsmarty

Immortal

‘No thanks’: Dufty options down to one with NRL rival ‘out of the race’ for Dragons’ No.1​

Mark St John from Fox Sports

@markdfstjohn
June 12th, 2021 3:56 pm
Unwanted Dragons’ fullback Matthew Dufty’s chances of an NRL lifeline appear to be down to one club after the Broncos ruled themselves out of the race for his services.
Brent Read revealed on Triple M that the Raiders look like not only his likely destination, but the only interested party for Dufty to remain in the NRL.
“It obviously came out on Thursday that he was touring the Canberra facilities,” Read said on Triple M.
“He met Ricky (Stuart) and looked around the centre of excellence and hung out in the Nation’s Capital.
“The other club that has been linked with him is obviously the Broncos, but Brisbane called his agent on Wednesday and said thanks but no thanks.
“Brisbane are out of the race for Matt Dufty. I don’t think they were ever really in it.

“So Canberra has the inside running after that tour on Thursday and obviously it is now down to them to make him an offer.
“I think they are looking potentially at a two-year deal.”
One obstacle for Dufty’s signing is the Raiders already have a fullback in Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, but there are concerns around his fitness after neck surgery, while he could be set for a positional switch.

“There is a couple of things with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, one being he has had neck surgery, so he has got to come back from that,” Read said.
“The other thing as that the Raiders could potentially look at him as a centre and Dufty would play fullback.
“So that seems the most likely destination for Matt Dufty at the moment.”
Read revealed the Raiders may not even have to break the bank to sign Dufty due to the lack of interest from NRL rivals for the 25-year-old, who has scored 44 tries in 78 games since his debut in 2017.
“I don’t think Nicoll-Klokstad is on premium fullback money, but he is on good money,” Read explained.
“Obviously they have the Curtis Scott situation that is developing so there could be an opening in the centres there.

“I don’t think they have to pay the world for Matt Dufty because he is not on huge money and there are not a lot of teams that are chasing him.

“I don’t think they would have to pay him $500,000 to $600,000 because there is a lack of competition.
“They don’t have to push the boat out for him because there are not many teams that are in for him at the moment, so they might get him at reasonable freight.”

thebigredv

First Grade

‘No thanks’: Dufty options down to one with NRL rival ‘out of the race’ for Dragons’ No.1​

Mark St John from Fox Sports

@markdfstjohn
June 12th, 2021 3:56 pm
Unwanted Dragons’ fullback Matthew Dufty’s chances of an NRL lifeline appear to be down to one club after the Broncos ruled themselves out of the race for his services.
Brent Read revealed on Triple M that the Raiders look like not only his likely destination, but the only interested party for Dufty to remain in the NRL.
“It obviously came out on Thursday that he was touring the Canberra facilities,” Read said on Triple M.
“He met Ricky (Stuart) and looked around the centre of excellence and hung out in the Nation’s Capital.
“The other club that has been linked with him is obviously the Broncos, but Brisbane called his agent on Wednesday and said thanks but no thanks.
“Brisbane are out of the race for Matt Dufty. I don’t think they were ever really in it.

“So Canberra has the inside running after that tour on Thursday and obviously it is now down to them to make him an offer.
“I think they are looking potentially at a two-year deal.”
One obstacle for Dufty’s signing is the Raiders already have a fullback in Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, but there are concerns around his fitness after neck surgery, while he could be set for a positional switch.

“There is a couple of things with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, one being he has had neck surgery, so he has got to come back from that,” Read said.
“The other thing as that the Raiders could potentially look at him as a centre and Dufty would play fullback.
“So that seems the most likely destination for Matt Dufty at the moment.”
Read revealed the Raiders may not even have to break the bank to sign Dufty due to the lack of interest from NRL rivals for the 25-year-old, who has scored 44 tries in 78 games since his debut in 2017.
“I don’t think Nicoll-Klokstad is on premium fullback money, but he is on good money,” Read explained.
“Obviously they have the Curtis Scott situation that is developing so there could be an opening in the centres there.

“I don’t think they have to pay the world for Matt Dufty because he is not on huge money and there are not a lot of teams that are chasing him.

“I don’t think they would have to pay him $500,000 to $600,000 because there is a lack of competition.
“They don’t have to push the boat out for him because there are not many teams that are in for him at the moment, so they might get him at reasonable freight.”

After reading that, Dufty literally can't afford to have one of his signature rocks performances anytime soon. I hope he kills it against the Dogs and suitors the Raiders and earns himself a reward, and us a couple more wins.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Or the Dragons notice. Did someone say Duffs cousins don't play footy. Smells of this '
In the business world, nepotism is the practice of showing favoritism toward one's family members or friends in economic or employment terms. For example, granting favors or jobs to friends and relatives, without regard to merit, is a form of nepotism'.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Helps explain things a bit more
It's a hatchet job mate. What a disgraceful article.

Fullbacks are responsible when forwards miss tackles? How can anyone with an ounce of football knowledge read past that?

It's beyond ridiculous now.

Dragsters

First Grade
The most perplexing part if this saga for mine is that Dufty is the one told he is not wanted next season when he is possibly on less than half of what Norman is on and Dufty has played like twice the 5/8th Norman has.

Sure, if the coaching staff don't see Dufty as the future fullback and are looking within, be it Ramsey, Sloan, Schiller or whoever then try them. I for one would be stoked if one turns out better than Dufty.

If we are looking to make cap space, then perhaps Norman should be the one being told he is not required and Dufty potentially kept for his utility value, with he emphasis on value!

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
The most perplexing part if this saga for mine is that Dufty is the one told he is not wanted next season when he is possibly on less than half of what Norman is on and Dufty has played like twice the 5/8th Norman has.

Sure, if the coaching staff don't see Dufty as the future fullback and are looking within, be it Ramsey, Sloan, Schiller or whoever then try them. I for one would be stoked if one turns out better than Dufty.

If we are looking to make cap space then perhaps Norman should be the one being told he is not required and Dufty potentially kept for his utility value, with he emphasis on value!
Norman is next on the list for the tap. The coach needed a good look as he impressed 99% in pre-season, as you do playing for contract.
His only blooper was going out straight after returning from boot camp after few days of deprived sleep and got into trouble...even if he was not to blame for the fight, not the smartest choice.
My opinion is the coach has now had long enough to look at him and by all accounts he too may be a victim of the club paperless printer.
Why is he still in the squad?.. same as Duff, best reliable (for want of a better word) option currently at this very time. Bud injured has played a big part in hindering his development this year and Amone?..not ready to make it his own?, or is he a 13?
I dont see Amone as 13 as others are stating. I see the future as Bud & Amone as 7 & 6.

2022..I hope I am right as it will be the picture emerging of our future and changing of the guard (spine)

I can see Matt staying if the issue is money.

Cannot see Canberra paying him more than $350,000 to 400,000 hence we may well still be in the running.

As for Norman, I expect one of Sullivan or Amone will take his position by season’s end.

blacksafake

First Grade
Griffin has been in charge for less than half a season....With all due respect, even Wayne Bennett or a Bellamy couldn't turn things around as fast as you and many others are expecting.....

McGregor and Price were in charge for 9 years....How about giving Griffin at least 2 years to undo the mess before expecting to see massive change....

Go back and have a look at some of our games from the previous years... people have short memories....

Without going into detail, things are different re recruitment....we no longer pay Top dollar/overs like we did in the past...that is why things can change re recruitment... Griffin is a smart operator.... not my opinion....from a solid source ...Will not pay overs...currently McGuire and others are being subsidized by their former clubs.....I will leave it at that...

People need to give the guy a chance....Our squad was always weak in depth this year thanks to you know who....Rome wasn't built in a day....

P.S Re Ramsey not grabbing his opportunity @ Fullback...How many games has he played there in the Top Grade....2 ? Its definitely less than 4... Your comments are not factual...as to what I know or don't...maybe go back and look @ some of the things I quoted...Re Host , McGregor extension etc

Your comments are based on your obvious passion for our club and what we all want to see happen...which is eventual success.

I am in total agreement with you on this...we all want success....lets just give the coach and current staff our support for at least until halfway through next year...surely that's more than fair.
Well said.