What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

ash the bash

Juniors
I think a city of the stature of Sydney will always need a 70K plus stadium. Just have it for the event games, SOO,GF,Socceroos, Bledisloe etc..

With the scope for event games, I see the Dragons & Manly try and play some event games during a season at the SFS. Would not put it past Wests Tigers basing a couple of event games at new SFS. If on a Saturday or Sunday would have the potential of getting 20K plus. Manly 2 games with Dragons 2 games depending on who's home ANZAC game it is.

Peter C

Juniors
You might be a little surprised then! It is not just about the Sharks NRL but also that the area is rectangular sports made with the largest Soccer nursery in Australia and the the second largest Junior RL nursery in Sydney only behind Penrith. Shark Park is being looked at strategically to support all of this!

No chance of the Sharks dying financial death now with the continued new streams of revenue now flowing in and still to come outside of football!
I think those rivers of gold that the Sharks were expecting have dried up, they sold their rights for any percentage of the development at Woolooware, and any rental income from the retail area associated for $40 million, of which $20 million has to go to the redevelopment of the leagues club.
The only revenue stream the Sharks MAY have, is that they purchased to Kareela Golf, for around $5 million, and now run it as a licensed club, however it remains to be seen as to whether this is a profitable venture.
The remainder of any money they have, would be lucky to be earning 1.5% interest.

I’m not entirely convinced Souths will move to the new SFS just yet. They’re shrewd enough that I think they’re waiting for an eventually desperate ANZ to dangle a larger carrot to remain put. Also think Souths were smart enough to see the writing on the wall with more potential in their westward fan base.

Penrith are set to be the big winners from the state government’s decision to reallocate funds from Stadium Australia, with Panthers Stadium in line to be knocked down and rebuilt as early as the end of next year.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Panthers set to get brand new stadium as early as 2025

The high-flying Panthers could play their final season at their traditional home ground next year, with construction on a new stadium earmarked to begin in December 2022.

Penrith are set to be the big winners from the state government’s decision to reallocate funds from Stadium Australia, with Panthers Stadium in line to be knocked down and rebuilt as early as the end of next year.

Sources with knowledge of the business cases made for sites at Penrith, Kogarah, Brookvale and Liverpool told the Herald that Panthers Stadium was only waiting for the final stamp of approval from government for construction of a 25,000-30,000-seat arena in the greater west.

The high-flying Panthers could play their final season at their traditional home ground next year, with construction earmarked to begin in December 2022.

It would leave Penrith without a home for two seasons, with Panthers officials making contingency plans to play at Bankwest Stadium in Parramatta until the proposed new facility is opened in time for the 2025 NRL season.

The state government last year scrapped the $850 million refurbishment plans at ANZ Stadium, with the NRL indicating it would prefer money to be used to build three or four boutique venues similar to Parramatta’s Bankwest Stadium. Penrith is now set to be first cab off the rank, with government to sign off on a $200-$300 million investment.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...stadium-as-early-as-2025-20210617-p581zp.html

Valheru

Coach
I just don't see the return on investment at Penrith for the government.

WSW won't play there. No rugby team, state or national will play there. No other NRL team will play there and I can't see it being chosen above bankwest for other misc events, lower drawing socceroos games, concerts etc.

WSW won't play there. No rugby team, state or national will play there. No other NRL team will play there and I can't see it being chosen above bankwest for other misc events, lower drawing socceroos games, concerts etc.
If we’re being honest, there isn’t much of one. But Penrith is a swing seat both federally and state.

If they’re smart, there are other ways to make multi use of a stadium. You could build a conference facility into it for instance.

franklin2323

Immortal

The airport close by makes fly in fly out WC runs etc easier. A few concerts population is due to explode.

Getting fans to Bankwest on a Thurs or Fri night will be a huge challenge for the game

franklin2323

Immortal
If we’re being honest, there isn’t much of one. But Penrith is a swing seat both federally and state.

If they’re smart, there are other ways to make multi use of a stadium. You could build a conference facility into it for instance.

Panthers is having a new hotel and conference centre across the road

franklin2323

Immortal
I’ll partially forgive PVL if he can pull of this local Stadium coup.

a 25k stadium in Penrith

25k brookvale

25k southern stadium

30k south west stadium

Would be massive for the game

By the time the build starts for Penrith. The standard of games either improves or he will be gone.