What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

IFR33K

Coach
Mennings was on $400k, those centre’s wouId all be on $600k or so. We got Papa for $150k.

So yeah there is a chance we couldn’t afford both ….

ok. MJ was on our books for $400k. Papa $150k. the top centres $600k. But we had to buy opacic to cover MJ. So both mj and opacic were on our books. Are you assuming we got opacic for free or he’s paying us to play this year?

anyway the point isn’t whos on what, and what’s the best for the cap. The point was that opacic is average.

strider

Post Whore
why not both?

didnt we have MJ on our books when we bought papa? Don’t make out as having an expensive centre will cost us a player.
So you think MJs salary is enough to cover an elite young centre and upgrade Papalii from near minimum salary to something that guarantees he stays?

And we can spend the left over on making sure we keep Gutho

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If you want to look at it that way it’s fine but it seems to me that people are presenting statistics in a way to suggest that Opacic is a better player than Crichton.
If you judge a player by what he does, rather than what he could do, then Opacic is as good a player as Crichton this year. He is certainly delivering as much on the field.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I like Opacic - but he is solid, and slightly above average, at best.

Crichton is potentially the next big star of the game.
I think, given his youth and how good he already is, Crichton will probably have a much better career than Opacic. The latter will only really have his 2022 premiership and maybe a couple of Origins to hang his hat on.

strider

Post Whore
ok. MJ was on our books for $400k. Papa $150k. the top centres $600k. But we had to buy opacic to cover MJ. So both mj and opacic were on our books. Are you assuming we got opacic for free or he’s paying us to play this year?

anyway the point isn’t whos on what, and what’s the best for the cap. The point was that opacic is average.
How about you tell us what you think opacic is on?

I think he is probably similar to Papa ... he was signed before MJ went down. He was gonna play predominantly reggies.

I think we need to upgrade Papa ASAP to ensure we keep him ... probably needs about 300k+ more than his current salary .... so pretty much eats up MJs salary

Fergos money is obviously available ... but at least some of that probably goes to upgrades of Moses and maybe others .... Gutho is gonna need a bit more soon

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
why not both?

didnt we have MJ on our books when we bought papa? Don’t make out as having an expensive centre will cost us a player.
It's going to cost us a lot to keep Papali'i. You have to be pretty lucky to get a $500k player for $200k. I wouldn't be surprised if his manager started pushing for a big upgrade (or a release) over the off season.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

opacic was purchased as a back up, we were talking to him before Jennings was suspended.

And I agree Opacic is average……which isn’t bad when putting a squad together

IFR33K

Coach
How about you tell us what you think opacic is on?

I think he is probably similar to Papa ... he was signed before MJ went down. He was gonna play predominantly reggies.

I think we need to upgrade Papa ASAP to ensure we keep him ... probably needs about 300k+ more than his current salary .... so pretty much eats up MJs salary

Fergos money is obviously available ... but at least some of that probably goes to upgrades of Moses and maybe others .... Gutho is gonna need a bit more soon

sorry strider somebody said if we had a strike centre we’d lose a player like papa. Was just proving it’s possible.

of course if you have a gun player it’ll effect the balance of the team somewhere, and it probably means u need a ‘cheapie’ in the squad to offset it. Having Paulo, Nrown and RCG all on decent $$$ means we needed players like Bryce and papa.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
500k??? Settle down champ. He’s been awesome but 500k?
At his age and the level of footy he's playing, he's probably still got improvement in him. He's an elite forward already, and in 2023 (when his next contract will start) he'll get $500k easily.

If he was off contract right now there'd be a few clubs that would pay him that much.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Papa is one of the form forwards in the comp and can equally play on an edge or in the middle.

If he was off contract next season he would easily be getting offers of 450-500k. A sloth like Lodge is on 800k and a donkey like Flegler 650k lol. Jordan Riki just got an upgrade @ 400k per season.

LOL @ the Donkey's.

Papa is one of the form forwards in the comp and can equally play on an edge or in the middle.

If he was off contract next season he would easily be getting offers of 450-500k. A sloth like Lodge is on 800k and a donkey like Flegler 650k lol. Jordan Riki just got an upgrade @ 400k per season.

LOL @ the Donkey's.

Lodge is averaging 130m per game, same Jnr Paulo. He has averaged 136m per game for the last 4 seasons (though only played 6 games in 2020). He's not going that bad.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lodge is averaging 130m per game, same Jnr Paulo. He has averaged 136m per game for the last 4 seasons (though only played 6 games in 2020). He's not going that bad.
If he was going so well why are the Donkey's offloading him???? And 130m per game is nothing flash from a starting from rower who is playing big mins. Junior offers so much more than just metres per game and his form this year has been down on what he has produced since his return from Canberra.

But how about Lodge's missed tackles stats??? Penalty's or dropped balls per game??? He dropped at least 3 last night and let that bunnies forward go straight through him to score. He's also a walking penalty with the new faster rules and crackdown on foul play. 800k per season lol, hopefully for the Warriors sake the Donkey's are tipping in at least half.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
yeah I don’t get the lodge hate. Quite possible he’s on slight overs, but the merkin doesn’t give up
Slight overs???? He's on 800k and one of the highest paid middle forwards in the comp. Honestly how hard is it to back up after a Haas hit up??? He's also got shit hands and a walking penalty. He happily gave up a try through the middle last night, i've watched every Bronco game this season and he did play a few decent games earlier in the year but his form has fallen off a cliff. With the new faster game and the crackdown on foul play he's a massive liability in defence.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Slight overs???? He's on 800k and one of the highest paid middle forwards in the comp. Honestly how hard is it to back up after a Haas hit up??? He's also got shit hands and a walking penalty. He happily gave up a try through the middle last night, i've walked every Bronco game this season and he did play a few decent games earlier in the year but his form has fallen off a cliff. With the new faster game and the crackdown on foul play he's a massive liability in defence.
He’s a merkin and the way he reacted in New York under the influence of the truth serum is reprehensible. How he wasn’t rubbed out of the game is beyond me.