What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Nathan Brown

You can give the Titanic a new coat of paint but she is still going to sink.

What is Gus going to do about it?
Apparently help with the development path to get a ticket on the titanic, hoping for a better captain, who can see iceburgs and plan a move around them.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Brown can’t put forward the hooking situation as an excuse, that was an inevitable outcome of retention decisions that Stevie Wonder could see coming

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
News flash. It's not the coach, he hasn't even been here a year yet. It's not even the players.

These poor bastards haven't even been at home for 2 years. They don't know what their short/medium/long term futures will look like. They ain't gonna win shit until that is sorted and it won't be for a while.

Just sit back, grab a beer and enjoy the shining light that is Reece Walsh (our first origin rep in how long?) while you can because he's only gonna be here another couple of seasons at best.

Rich102

Staff member
My major concern is the boring style of football they are playing.
Against the Knights, with scores locked up at 6-6 in the second half, I found myself hoping the Knights would score as I didn't want to have to watch any extra time.
Their tries are all individual efforts - no team work.
Bring back the Jungle Ball.

Scott

Bench
My major concern is the boring style of football they are playing.
Against the Knights, with scores locked up at 6-6 in the second half, I found myself hoping the Knights would score as I didn't want to have to watch any extra time.
Their tries are all individual efforts - no team work.
Bring back the Jungle Ball.

You don't think cyclonic conditions had anything to do with it? Newcastle weren't any better. They had a couple of halves that kicked us off the field. That was the difference.

Lots of factors at play. I don't think we have put the same 17 on the field yet.
I see positive signs, but just when we appear to get some momentum we lose a few players to injury & have to almost start again. Nathan Brown is not the issue. It's not Phil Gould's job to fix anything. He is involved in pathways, not the NRL team. Peter O'Sullivan's most urgent thing to do on his to-do-list is to find a halfback. Gareth Widdop is not a halfback.

Matua

Bench
Way too soon. This staff combo bought us Walsh, DWZ, Aitken, AFB, Sironen etc. We are on the right path. Just need to pounce on the right half and hooker and we will turn the corner. Given their history I'd be willing to say they will pick the right guy but the right guy isn't there right now
Half this forum is whining about DWZ, Aitken does his role but is really just average (and we lost two NZers in his position who are above average), Walsh was a good pick up but only happened because Brisbane are a worse basket case than the Warriors currently (and as the weeks go on it's clear he makes SJ and Benji look like Ian Roberts in defence). No arguments with AFB (on the field) and Sironen.

But, this lot rolled all the dice on Egan, who hasn't got close to the hype he came with and that some still attribute to him.

Things are the same as ever at the Warriors, yet, especially in this forum, the management are still getting a pass while the coaches are copping all the crap (which they should be copping some of).

Cameron George came in as a messiah but that hasn't played out and the organisation is as crap as ever.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Half this forum is whining about DWZ, Aitken does his role but is really just average (and we lost two NZers in his position who are above average), Walsh was a good pick up but only happened because Brisbane are a worse basket case than the Warriors currently (and as the weeks go on it's clear he makes SJ and Benji look like Ian Roberts in defence). No arguments with AFB (on the field) and Sironen.
who?

Sanchez

Coach
People really need to get over the fact that we have Australian players in the team

If you are talking about Hiku and Maumalo, they offered Hiku a deal and Maumalo was/is cooked/way overpaid

JJ

Immortal
struggling to think what NZ centres we've lost that are better than Aitken... struggling more to think of why it matters whether they are Kiwis, Aussies, Poms, or Pasifika.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
struggling to think what NZ centres we've lost that are better than Aitken... struggling more to think of why it matters whether they are Kiwis, Aussies, Poms, or Pasifika.
Hiku maybe and that’s about it.

re player retention how many have we actually let go vs those we’ve offered contracts to but have decided to go elsewhere? Given the immensely difficult environment Covid has put our club in I suspect we’ve lost a few through no fault of the club’s.

Matua

Bench
TBF, I was probably a little hard on Aitken, because he's good when on form, but I'd prefer Hiku or Herbert.

You don't think it matters that a NZ team, the showcase team for league in NZ, is filled with non NZers? What's the point of the team then if it's not promoting NZ league players? We're not Melbourne with no home grown competition and talent.

If being a NZ team based in NZ with NZ players isn't a selling point then we all may as well support the Storm, they actually win, and they generally do it with a few NZers.

We're at a tipping point, most of the blokes I used to watch the Warriors with don't bother anymore. In fact the only ones who still do are those based in Oz where the NRL is all around them.

Leber

Bench
You don't think it matters that a NZ team, the showcase team for league in NZ, is filled with non NZers? .
Nope. It is a team 'based' in New Zealand, not a NZ team.

I wouldn't care if all 17 players were from Africa.

The best promotion or showcase for league in New Zealand would be success, and at this stage that is far more likely to occur with Australian players than exclusively Kiwi ones simply because they have usually come through much better systems. Besides, as far as I can recall always at least half of the players have had affiliation to NZ, so that more than ensures a strong enough NZ flavour without going overboard.

JJ

Immortal
TBF, I was probably a little hard on Aitken, because he's good when on form, but I'd prefer Hiku or Herbert.

You don't think it matters that a NZ team, the showcase team for league in NZ, is filled with non NZers? What's the point of the team then if it's not promoting NZ league players? We're not Melbourne with no home grown competition and talent.

If being a NZ team based in NZ with NZ players isn't a selling point then we all may as well support the Storm, they actually win, and they generally do it with a few NZers.

We're at a tipping point, most of the blokes I used to watch the Warriors with don't bother anymore. In fact the only ones who still do are those based in Oz where the NRL is all around them.
have to disagree, I like both Hiku and Herbert, but Aitken is better than both, Hiku is a journeyman with defensive frailties and Herbert is promising…. I’d have kept both but not at Aitken’s expense

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hey for sure you should be keeping all good young kiwis, but like all teams you must top up from elsewhere, you will not keep all the young ones.

Sharks usually have a Qlder or two and we have strong kiwi connections always have.

You should definitely have a few Aussies.

Big Marn

Juniors
you mean 'professional'?
I think he means the franchise approach. A city based team that may or may not have any locals in it. But the logic is a little flawed as those teams are still predominantly American. Do you think the fan base would be as passionate if the teams were all from Canada or Mexico? I doubt it.
So for the same reasons, I dont want a team of overseas based players representing the Warriors and neither does the fanbase. Not that would ever happen.

JJ

Immortal
I think he means the franchise approach. A city based team that may or may not have any locals in it. But the logic is a little flawed as those teams are still predominantly American. Do you think the fan base would be as passionate if the teams were all from Canada or Mexico? I doubt it.
So for the same reasons, I dont want a team of overseas based players representing the Warriors and neither does the fanbase. Not that would ever happen.
I just think it's irrelevant, you build the best roster you can with what you have, and develop your juniors...

Imports, whether they are Kiwis or not, are not locals the club has developed

Latest posts