What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 vs Sea Eagles

SEAT 1A

Bench
We missed the sacked one big time.

Josh McGuire's performance on the field carried over from his apologies off it and thanks to Hunt and Sims for doing their best.

The players and coach had a dig however, if Norman plays one more game, I will poke my eyes out.

Mitty266

Juniors
T
Last night's second half was dreadful. I'm not overly upset at Hunt considering just 2 days prior he played 80 minutes of origin. He looked very fatigued out there. Beale has done well for us, I wouldn't criticise him given that he's doing well for a stop-gap player. Hook needs to forget about Norman's experience and remove him immediately. He is such a massive liability to this team; his kicking game is so off, defensively poor and he can't create anything. Amone is lightyears ahead of him. You can see Norman doesn't really care. The combination of Amone, Sloan and Sullivan is one for years to come if you've seen their junior highlights, and the three of them are really close mates as well. Although I do believe we can make finals this year, we won't get too far with the forward pack we have now. Jackson Ford and Billy Burns aren't first-grade quality at all. Once Burgess and Su'a and hopefully Finucane come along, hopefully, that bolsters our pack by a lot and makes us a MUCH better chance in future.
This 🙌🏼. Like what has norman got on griffin? Some sort of blackmail to be picked week in week out??.

True_Believer

Juniors
I recall thinking the same about that try at the time.

It was a rookie error. Not that's its an excuse but Im convinced Sloane thought there were enough bodies on the Manly player to stop him.

Anyway, he had a decent game, and has time to develop. Im not convinced either way yet. Nice kid, great attitude, but time will tell.

As I posted earlier, I really am concerned about our backline, even allowing for the players missing. Barring Rava, who can take a hit up and eat up metres coming out of our try line ?

Beale cops a fair bit of criticism, but he is solid and is on minimum wage. 200 games experience and has won a title and is a NZ rep player.

I think Sloan is a better option than anyone else we've seen to-date. Even Dufty. He's only just stepped up but he lurks around the middle and seems to position himself in attack better. He's also shown that although he still has a lot of work to do in defence and reading the plays, he at least seems to be willing to attempt the tackles that Dufty doesn't. He looks so much better in attack. He's the answer at fullback I reckon.

I think the backline is fine. We are missing Rava, Lomax and the Feargies will play a role as well. All much larger athletic players. Currently we are playing with 2 players that were only ever meant to be backups in Beale and Williame (both are doing their job currently given the position we are in). Once the others are back on deck and ready to play, we'll be in a better position - that however may not be until next year given the readiness of some of the juniors coming through. The only one I'm not sure about at this stage is Ramsay. But we'll see what happens there.

Last nights game, I think, should be more concerning for Manly than us. We had a host of first graders out, 2 backing up from Origin 2 days earlier (and they both looked tired after about 20 minutes), we lost Williame early and played a second rower out of position, we missed a million tackles and had 13 odd errors. Not to mention 2 weeks from hell that, no matter how much you spin it, would have most players struggling to keep their head in the game. Yet we still scored 18 points against them and they only put 32 on us. Given the amount of crap we dished out, they should have put a cricket score on us - even with DCE and Turbo out.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
A
Just my thoughts but I do find the bagging of some of these players interesting at times.

Ramsey: Only ever seems to get the ball inside our 20 & seldom in the attacking zone because those inside him struggle to get the ball to the right places.The hardest hit up in the game is after a kick & bringing it off your own line & he’s always willing to put his hand up to do it.

Burns: He’s an outright back rower who runs good lines who can fill in at centre. The little times he’s played in the back row he’s shown he can run the lines, even scoring off a good line recently.

Lawrie: Tries hard, tough & would be a much better player in some of the other teams with good go forward.

Ford: I thought he went ok last night with limited minutes with good leg speed & defence. I think he just needs some time under his belt.
Just my thoughts.
Agree with all, and although Ramsey didn’t have his finest game he covered up a few defensive lapses by Sloan and seem pretty urgent in defence. Sloan looks like the man but to put it into context I’m pretty sure he’d look pretty average also having to truck it out of his end and get no ball like Ramsey seems to be lately. We do need Rava back though.

Illusion

Bench
A

Agree with all, and although Ramsey didn’t have his finest game he covered up a few defensive lapses by Sloan and seem pretty urgent in defence. Sloan looks like the man but to put it into context I’m pretty sure he’d look pretty average also having to truck it out of his end and get no ball like Ramsey seems to be lately. We do need Rava back though.
Agree mate but any fullback will struggle bringing the ball back playing in our side ......

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
T

This 🙌🏼. Like what has norman got on griffin? Some sort of blackmail to be picked week in week out??.
I think a lot of it stems from Griffin coaching Norman at the Broncos. It's his first year as coach and he probably wants to effectuate his plan with people he's already coached. That's probably why he brought in Beale as a stopgap, and McCullough as well. It's not working for us though, to have Norman play at all and he needs to be dropped ASAP.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Sloan did have a few defensive lapses no doubt, but he didn't get ragdolled as much as people are saying he did. He made around 130m off 8 or 9 carries (albeit about 20-30 of those being from his try). Yes, he didn't make a huge amount of post-contact metres but he didn't get thrown around nearly as much as Dufty did/does.

Sloan did have a few defensive lapses no doubt, but he didn't get ragdolled as much as people are saying he did. He made around 130m off 8 or 9 carries (albeit about 20-30 of those being from his try). Yes, he didn't make a huge amount of post-contact metres but he didn't get thrown around nearly as much as Dufty did/does.
Also apparently made 13 tackles

What I liked about his performance was he cleaned up the short kicks, took some high balls and was constantly backing up

kit66

Bench
I just saw that the judiciary failed to cite Tapau for his high shot in the first tackle of the game yesterday. I was surprised he didn't get 10 minutes and put on report at the time, it was right around the head and " forceful " by the NRL's own definition. The crackdown must be over.

blacksafake

First Grade
I just saw that the judiciary failed to cite Tapau for his high shot in the first tackle of the game yesterday. I was surprised he didn't get 10 minutes and put on report at the time, it was right around the head and " forceful " by the NRL's own definition. The crackdown must be over.
The judiciary & bunker are a joke.
Tapau’s tackle was high with swinging arm & clenched fist. Reckless/Careless take your pick.
I’m also surprised Po never got charged as well.
The 8 point try in the raiders game was a complete joke.

SGMax

Juniors
I have calmed down enough to put down some of my thoughts on a game we should have won.
Yelled at the TV with
* the latitude Manly were given in holding down in their tackles
* There was a leg pull that always leads to a 6 again but no 6 again for Saints.
* Forward passes by Manly not picked up.
* Dragons so error prone, helping the opposition out with field position and repeat sets of possession. Manly had 11 sets out of the first 12 sets in the 2nd half...about 90% over 10mins or more.
* Our goal line defence can be very poor and we seem to let in soft tries most games.

Garrick looked the least threatening of all the Manly players but a very good goal kicker.
Saab is not much unless someone puts him in the clear.
Where do Manly find these huge mobile forwards?

As for our team:
* Overall Dragons did well to be only down by 14, but need to improve if they are to win any of their remaining games.
* Sloan looks very good and will be overall a better FB than Dufty.
* Still a Ramsay fan, was not given opportunities to attack but worked hard in cover.
* Kerr has talent but this is ruined in the 2nd row, he should be a front rower were his leg speed and quick play the balls will be effective.
I blame the Parker try on Kerr as he should have charged at Foran and not run up and give him a little hug after he passed.
* Feel sorry for Burns as he has to play out of position too often. I have hopes that he can be a good backup/bench 2nd rower for us.
* I stand by my view that Lawrie is a good backupup/bench front rower and not dominant or skilfull enough as a starter.
* I was hoping we could get Burgess together with Vaughn this year as this is what we need. Can't happen now but we need more mobility and size.
* I have been patient with Norman but disappointed with his defence lately. Its hard to blame the halves when we are always being dominated by forwards and have no field position.
* Bird should stay at left centre until we get someone better...he is the only one who has been able to dominate the opposition and set up his winger.

We desperately need to players like Finucane, B.Smith, and a top notch back....how good would it have been if we had JAC headed our way next year? I know Smith wants to play Hooker, and Finucane and JDB are both Locks, but fit them in as they are players that won't be dominated.

Trying to not be too negative but so frustrating watching our team.
Happy with Hook as he seems to be working on improving the roster and i feel he is more likely to attract players to our club than Mary, Maguire, or other middle team coaches but he is hampered by our recent history.
Please, no more mediocre/average player signings, we need to sign some genuine talent that will make a difference.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
That doesn’t change the fact you didn’t even realise that he replaced Wiliame due to injury such is the attention you show the mighties.
Ok I concede but I did have the sound down as the commentary plays havoc with my sanity. But has he picked him at centre previously? I believe he has. Once bit twice shy unless youre just a stubborn old mule which I suspect Griffin may well be i.e. Norman.

Latest posts