What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Crowd Watch

yakstorm

First Grade
The NRL will be thrilled given the situation. Suncorp is known to bring in more corporate $$ than ANZ and all of these games sold at full freight. No fire sales.
Agreed, the $8m in funds from the Qld Government to take Game One to Townsville would have meant they wouldn't have finished much behind if they were able to sell Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney normally.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Crap crowd for the double header tonight. Time for free entry and try drum up some good PR. "Thanks for hosting us QLD" or some other dribble. Try and build something because they ain't making shit from gate takings.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Crap crowd for the double header tonight. Time for free entry and try drum up some good PR. "Thanks for hosting us QLD" or some other dribble. Try and build something because they ain't making shit from gate takings.
State of Origin hangover maybe.

Probably. But at least try a weekend of it for the PR and the optics of packed crowds. V'landys can even do a soundbite taking a shot at the AFL. "Meats back on the menu boys".

I was at a party last night (Adelaide) and they had the afl game on Brisbane v Richmond at Gold Coast …

Would appear the double header got about 14 thousand more people at Robina than the AFL. Actually that’s a generous estimate… it looked like 300 people at best.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I was at a party last night (Adelaide) and they had the afl game on Brisbane v Richmond at Gold Coast …

Would appear the double header got about 14 thousand more people at Robina than the AFL. Actually that’s a generous estimate… it looked like 300 people at best.
That's recorded as a full house for the AFL

Storm should start playing in Brisbane, they'd probably get better turnout than the Broncos
I’d have thought they’d go straight back to the Sunshine Coast…

why did they put this knights game on at the Gold Coast?

Understood this round was fairly short notice with relocations etc. maybe couldn’t prep Sunshine Coast for nrl that quickly?

Surely they’ll go back their from next round.?

azza29

Juniors
Surely they’ll go back their from next round.?
Next week is up in Townsville, if they can’t play Storm v Panthers in Melbourne it would make sense to play that at Suncorp. I reckon this week’s game ended up at CBUS due to the short notice period, easier to add a second game when you’ve already lined up ground/broadcast staff for the first one.

Still <4k for a double header is disappointing, Storm are usually more of a draw card in SE QLD.

Next week is up in Townsville, if they can’t play Storm v Panthers in Melbourne it would make sense to play that at Suncorp. I reckon this week’s game ended up at CBUS due to the short notice period, easier to add a second game when you’ve already lined up ground/broadcast staff for the first one.

Still <4k for a double header is disappointing, Storm are usually more of a draw card in SE QLD.
Vs Cowboys up there should be a big crowd. I’d assumed that they’ll set up home base again back on the Sunshine Coast after that.

The panthers game should pull a big crowd though and Suncorp would make sense.

And a side question - does Melbourne still have a “strong” following in Qld after all the big guns from the maroons/Storm have retired? I know Munster n a few others are still about but I’d thought the following up there was centred around the likes of so many Qlders such as Smith Slater Inglis Folau Cronk Johnston etc etc in the side. There’s close to as many blues n kiwis in the Storm these days…

just a thought..

Hartwood

Juniors
Vs Cowboys up there should be a big crowd. I’d assumed that they’ll set up home base again back on the Sunshine Coast after that.

The panthers game should pull a big crowd though and Suncorp would make sense.

And a side question - does Melbourne still have a “strong” following in Qld after all the big guns from the maroons/Storm have retired? I know Munster n a few others are still about but I’d thought the following up there was centred around the likes of so many Qlders such as Smith Slater Inglis Folau Cronk Johnston etc etc in the side. There’s close to as many blues n kiwis in the Storm these days…

just a thought..
Storm definitely still has big following in SE QLD

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Storm definitely still has big following in SE QLD
I've been to almost every Storm v Broncos game in QLD and people would be surprised just how little support Melbourne actually has in Brisbane. They're definitely not seen as a proxy QLD team.

While Melbourne's support in SEQ is definitely growing due to them being a popular club with kids, most RL supporters had allegiance to a team long before Melbourne came in.

Every game featuring the Broncos should be held at suncorp. While this is a massive advantage to the broncos (we aren't a threat) our fans will contribute to a much better financial outcome for those 'home' clubs. Which is pretty critical these days.

Last edited:

Dugtrio

Juniors
V'landys can even do a soundbite taking a shot at the AFL. "Meats back on the menu boys".
The segregating and sexist language in your quote almost sounds like it came from Vlandys himself, though is a long way from what would be a successful marketing campaign.

campaigning to youth/families, local clubs, local nrl members of non participating clubs, minority groups etc should be happening though (and probably is although hard with short notice). It’s a Really a good opportunity to make the most of a unique situation.

no name

Coach
It was $20 a ticket for last nights Double Header and $10 a ticket for tonight’s single game.
I don’t know how many more people would turn up if it was free.

Edit: I just realised the initials for double header is gets filtered to FAKE

Latest posts