What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Voss' Commentary

Does Andrew Voss need to be institutionalised?

• Total voters

danderson4500

Juniors
The Bear!

He was aweesome!

He commentated in the days where they'd do it "in shifts".... Ie There'd be two main callers, interchange etc & I remember he used to interchange with Graham Hughes. And the Bear called one of the most famous moments in Rugby League History - The Steve Jackson Try in the 1989 Grand final...

Big Darrell did so some club games for Channel 9 in their early days... they got rights for Saturday games when CH10 had the sunday game. It was a replay format - condensed to about 40 minutes of League plus 20 minutes of ads...
I didn't know that! Kind of like AFL. You'd have Greame Hughes for half the game and then Ian Maurice would take over. Big Darrell and Ray Warren did that for Origin too.

gordsy

Juniors
I don't know how people like Vossy, he is so over the top with the yelling. We get it mate you like footy because you were a nerd at school and these guys wouldn't look at you let alone hang out with you.
The irrelevant conversation about some guy being the handball king at his primary school is rubbish as well.
But commentators are mostly rubbish and people watch nrl 360 and listen to dip shits like Brohman commentate so he will always have a job.

blaza88z

Coach
I don't mind Voss but as with most commentators they get a bit too comfortable and start commentating with an opinion on everything.

Hadley was the worst for it, he use to call the game as it were a horse race, a bloke would make a break and still have to run a considerable distance and he'd be whipping out the old "put away the glasses, they won't get him".. I can re-call several times where the bloke got run down.

Had to laugh last night on Matty Johns Show someone said you can’t be good at everything and Matty quips, along the lines of, just like Andrew Johns’ in commentary. Lol. Never a truer word spoken.

JokerEel

First Grade
Voss is quite literally the only commentator who knows anything about RL outside of Australia!

No way..

He thinks if you are facing your own goal line the ball being propelled towards opposition isn't a knock on...

Last night Brown scored the try and he was trying to hype up him putting his arm out when you could see on 1 viewing he was easily in..

He is anti Eels and last night having him and Ennis in the box was terrible.. Ennis was rubbing himself up over the Raiders hookers.. (they were ok) but he made it sound like they were both Cam Smith...

KennySterling

Juniors
No way..

He thinks if you are facing your own goal line the ball being propelled towards opposition isn't a knock on...

Last night Brown scored the try and he was trying to hype up him putting his arm out when you could see on 1 viewing he was easily in..

He is anti Eels and last night having him and Ennis in the box was terrible.. Ennis was rubbing himself up over the Raiders hookers.. (they were ok) but he made it sound like they were both Cam Smith...
I watched it with sound off. He's that much of a punish and ruins it for me.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Voss is quite literally the only commentator who knows anything about RL outside of Australia!
He is actually quite an imbecile. Voss comes across as being intelligent to casual rugby league fans simply due to the fact that he rattles off all these meaningless statistics and random facts. However, his knowledge of the tactical side of things and interpretation of the rules is sadly lacking.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
He is actually quite an imbecile. Voss comes across as being intelligent to casual rugby league fans simply due to the fact that he rattles off all these meaningless statistics and random facts. However, his knowledge of the tactical side of things and interpretation of the rules is sadly lacking.
That is so true, if you ever get a chance to watch old games from the 80's, listen to guys like Keith Barnes, Arthur summons, Reg Gasnier, Frank Hyde or Rex Mossop. You actually learn something about the game and tactics.

The_Frog

First Grade
That is so true, if you ever get a chance to watch old games from the 80's, listen to guys like Keith Barnes, Arthur summons, Reg Gasnier, Frank Hyde or Rex Mossop. You actually learn something about the game and tactics.
The last two were legends of RL calling, Frank used to work alone on the sideline. No sideline eye, no-one but him. Rex had Barry Ross who was as exciting as watching paint dry. Gasnier was in a similar vein on the ABC with Warren Boland, he might have been the prince of centres, but he wasn't the prince of RL sidekicks. Don't remember Summons or Barnes as commentators, maybe before my time (although I remember Barnes as a player). I remember Ron (Won) Casey though, started as a league comm and went to radio with some success, as did Hadley.

Another radio caller I have fond memories of is Frank Ley, who called Panthers games on 2KA for many many years. We may have been a tinpot club but every match we played was on the radio called by Ley, and Paul Ambrisoli before him. Frank was as biased as thay come, but got away with it because his audience was exclusively Panther fans. The 2KA (Katoomba) signal barely reached Mt Druitt.

Last edited:

souths_reborn

Juniors
I love those guys! Even though they may seem a little parochial, they stay focused on the game and offer insight. You wouldn't hear Rex Moss, for instance, banging on about a touch judge falling over or the last front rower to score a try in the 73rd minute with three hairs on his ass. If Rex was along side Vossy today, I could see Rex putting one on Vossy's chin. That probably would solve the problem.

Latest posts