What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suncorp & CBus surface quality

flippikat

Bench
Is it just me, or is anyone else worried about how the surfaces of Suncorp & CBus will hold-up, now that we have so many games played there each weekend?

Suncorp especially looked a bit choppy in the late game last night (Broncos/Panthers).. Will it hold up well for September, given the number of double & triple headers it's getting in the foreseeable future?

Does the NRL need to spread the load even MORE across boutique/country Queensland venues to give the big grounds a better chance of being good for playoffs?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Suncorp hosted two wallabies games within a week before the relocation as well. Before each game Brisbane got some rainfall, so the field was copping it before the double headers. They were having to throw sand around.

The NRL taking games Rocky and Mackay is smart. Redcliffe, Cairns and Toowoomba should host some, I’d schedule some double headers in Townsville too.

flippikat

Bench
Suncorp hosted two wallabies games within a week before the relocation as well. Before each game Brisbane got some rainfall, so the field was copping it before the double headers. They were having to throw sand around.

The NRL taking games Rocky and Mackay is smart. Redcliffe, Cairns and Toowoomba should host some, I’d schedule some double headers in Townsville too.
Gees, I never even thought of the RU games! Yeah.. the NRL certainly needs to act now, or the Suncorp surface will be trash on GF Day.

Broadcasters are gonna hate the extra cost of lugging gear to those smaller grounds & coming up with bespoke solutions for shooting the game, but maybe that can be mitigated by having double-headers in those alternative venues?

How good would it be for Super Saturday if we saw Toowomba have the afternoon & twilight Saturday game, then the Saturday night game in Cairns?

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Gees, I never even thought of the RU games! Yeah.. the NRL certainly needs to act now, or the Suncorp surface will be trash on GF Day.

Broadcasters are gonna hate the extra cost of lugging gear to those smaller grounds & coming up with bespoke solutions for shooting the game, but maybe that can be mitigated by having double-headers in those alternative venues?

How good would it be for Super Saturday if we saw Toowomba have the afternoon & twilight Saturday game, then the Saturday night game in Cairns?
Yeah. Suncorp also has issues with the northern end not getting enough sun. They mitigate that with the growing lights but that brings some element of stress to the pitch at the same time. It will be an absolute shitshow come GF day if they don’t move a bunch away.

SEQ has new restrictions, mask mandate etc, so attending the footy isn’t all that fun as it usually is. Needing to wear a mask at your seats, you can barely talk with your mates. A small price to pay for your freedom, but it dampens the experience. I think the Sunshine Coast may have outdrawn Suncorp yesterday and the Gold Coast is not interested in attending.

Stadiums Queensland are brutal with their fees so I think we are at the point where regional games might be beneficial financially - wowser!!

flippikat

Bench
This is the underlying problem with playing at central stadiums
Not a problem so much if a city has, say, 2-3 central stadiums with world class turf-care (instead of tons with varying degrees of infrastructure & expertise) & a maximum of 6 or 7 top tier teams in that city ;)

Anyway, let's focus in the issue at hand, rather than drive into that particular ditch of a topic, yeah?

Perth Red

Post Whore

They dont have HD quality lighting for later games. You could only play the day tIme games at those venues,

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Are Ballymore and ANZ stadium still set up for rugby/league?

I don't think "ANZ" has been used for anything except school sports carnivals and concerts since the Broncos moved out. Apparently the QLD government are planning to make use of it for the 2032 Olympics so I guess there's no better time than now to get it back into heavy operation. It might even be a good opportunity to take some pressure off Suncorp by having the Roar and Reds play some games there.

Latest posts