What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bandwagon

Staff member
f**ken 'premiership windows', do you even know what it means? It's not some celestial phenomenon that only occurs once every 400 years. If you build your roster sustainably, like our club is trying to do, you're in a near constant premiership window, only dropping out for a year or two every few years.

And even in a premiership window there's no guarantee you'll win a comp, because there are other clubs in their premiership window at the same time.

Yeah I agree with this, clubs can front load and back load contracts into a year or two, with the purpose of cramming more talent than the cap allows for that period of time, but it has to bite down the track and the window is shut.

But I don't see us doing anything like that, which maybe that's why we lack a bit of x-factor, but on the other hand it's sustainable, which means our window is open as long as we can continue recruitment in that manner. It probably also means our window isn't gonna be wide open, so there'll be other clubs who'll be greater chances in any given year.

TheRam

Coach
Don't compare a player's form at Melbourne to their form at the Cowboys. Enough merkins have moved between the two clubs for that to be obvious. Look at Jordan McLean.

As for comparing players at different positions, do you even watch rugby league? Townsend (and Dearden) were signed for their kicking and defence in the line. Hynes does neither of those things at the Storm. Delete your account.

Have you even watched them play recently? Do you even know who these merkins are? For their kicking and defensive roles? My Lord, it has been abysmal and that is putting it mildly. They have been terrible.

How did you even get an account? Pou by name, poo in thought.

Pull the pin and jump on it merkin!

TheRam

Coach
f**ken 'premiership windows', do you even know what it means? It's not some celestial phenomenon that only occurs once every 400 years. If you build your roster sustainably, like our club is trying to do, you're in a near constant premiership window, only dropping out for a year or two every few years.

And even in a premiership window there's no guarantee you'll win a comp, because there are other clubs in their premiership window at the same time.

If we are seen as a team that is coached by a bloke that can't produced a premiership winning game plan and just works his player hard but unable to harness their natural flare and abilities, then we may eventually find it hard to attract the very best compared to the other top tier teams.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not worth much more then $350K as backup money
I have no doubt that Townsend is being overpaid at the Cowboys (because they're desperate to improve their kicking game) but $350k is way more than backup money. It is more than thrice the minimum salary. $350k would be in the top 10 highest paid players at every club.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Another idea I've had which BA should consider is at first change you bring on Bryce and Lane and put them both in the 2nd row. And move Matterson and Pappa into the middle. Both offer more strike out wide and better offloads. Sure Matterson gets the ball away but I am talking those real offloads that puts a guy into space, not a scrappy pass out the back that leads to nothing but a few extra meters.
We need Matterson's defence on the edge. If you really need a middle forward to attack out wide you can do it (Paulo sometimes does). They're only middle forwards because they defend in the middle.

TheRam

Coach
I have no doubt that Townsend is being overpaid at the Cowboys (because they're desperate to improve their kicking game) but $350k is way more than backup money. It is more than thrice the minimum salary. $350k would be in the top 10 highest paid players at every club.

Well OK then I was being very generous and @hindy111 was much closer to the mark when he said $250K max. He is a dud, and way to inconsistent to be giving him top $$$ and expecting him to give your team that purpose and stability a quality kicking/playmaking and solid defender should be able to do consistently well.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We’d use the least amount of decoys than any other side, well that’s what it seems like.

But but but all team attack similar…….. maybe the players are just too lazy to run decoys???
They do run decoys, over 37 per game, but the Storm, Panthers (and Tigers) are running 50+ decoys per game. Why doesn't Arthur's tell our merkins to run 50 decoys instead of 37 ffs?!?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Against Raiders BA knowing we needed points took off the guy who is perhaps our most likely to create a try assist.
He had to either take his son off or a forward and run dual hookers. It was a very poor time to give Rheed a rest. If you plan to rest himmin a tight game you donit earlier. You want your best 13 on in the last 10mins to close it out or give yourself the best chance of winning.
Mahoney had an ordinary game. He offered nothing in attack.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bringing on players for 7 mins to change a game is inspiring for the player and the team.
The other night he brought on Will Smith with about 20 to go and i thought that was a good move. In tandem with Reed, yes lets go.
No no no take Reed off and keep Jake on.
Unless Reed was injured I can't understand wtf that was about...we needed our most experienced players on.
Message should've been sent. Dylbro take control and Will support. We need to win this game otherwise we are up against it to make the top 4. Outside top 4 no team is any chance of winning the premiership.
We needed Arthur's kicking game chasing points at the end. You'll note his kick set up our last try. Don't ignore the importance of kicking in the modern game. It's why teams carry two halves in their defensive line.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He doesn't want to play that way, so no matter what rearranging we did or do he will ask for the same effort first and chase the collision first type of play. Roll forward with our big advantageous forwards and then see what comes off the back of it. Hardly a thinking mans game plan. The coach is a very basic fundamentals type of guy. He seems to think that if you get that right, then the rest just happens naturally.
We attack very differently to how we did in 2017. We shifted early more than any team in the comp, and had some very good shape on the short side that other teams copied. But the ruck focus in 2018 meant that we needed to attack through the middle, because teams were all offside out wide where the ref wasn't looking. This proves Arthur's is able to adapt, but you have to play to your strengths. Trying to copy other teams with more/different strengths won't work.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We're 11th on decoys, about 50% lower than the team with the most, which just happens to be, oh look the team leading the f**king comp!

Panthers are 3rd, Souths 4th
Arthur should tell them to run 33% more decoys. Maybe he should just tell them to score more points?