What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 v Titans

Dragons4me

Juniors
There should have been a change of tactics after 20 minutes on 2 levels. The tits were making meterage on almost every attacking run. By their fifth tackle, we were returning the ball deep from our territory. We then played our usual bash and barge on five with absolutely no second phase play or trying to run into gaps with little success. Therefore we should have kicked early and often and play the game in the tits half. Every team knows what our game plan is. We've been playing it for years thanks to McGregor. It's too late now for this year. Can't see us winning another game. Hope I'm wrong.

Dragon David

First Grade
For us to fall into the top 8 this year, the game against the Titans was a must win. Wins against the Raiders and Cowboys would have been necessary as well but hopes are fading with the players not defending effectively. Wins (2 points) against Souths x 2, Roosters and Panthers would only happen if those teams forfeited which of course is highly unlikely.

I mentioned earlier before the game that for us to beat the Titans was this -
"The sure way for us to win this game is to make no mistakes, give no penalties and 6 agains, make the right call in captains challenges, no knock ons - same as making no mistakes - score more tries and not let in any. Hmmmmm, this would not be Dragons footy at all would it?"

So in a nutshell the players did the complete opposite to what I said. Why didn't they look at what I posted for heavens sake?

The end is nigh!

QuoteReply

Maddragon99

Juniors
Seams pretty obvious to me that Hook has lost the playing group. Let’s face it, after 19 rounds we are a rabble & getting worse every week. If Souths put 50+ on us this Saturday our season is officially gone & some serious questions need to be asked of Hook. As things stand we’ll be looking for new coach for ‘23.

Walpole

Juniors
Seams pretty obvious to me that Hook has lost the playing group. Let’s face it, after 19 rounds we are a rabble & getting worse every week. If Souths put 50+ on us this Saturday our season is officially gone & some serious questions need to be asked of Hook. As things stand we’ll be looking for new coach for ‘23.
Pretty sure our season's already gone, but no doubt Souths will still put 50 on us anyway.

Illusion

Bench
Agree no excuses, the Refs were bad , the BBQ , stuffed us , the grounds man left the grass too long ..... Sick of excuses every other team have problems but they manage when they have to .... Titans had players out also but wiped us ..... Hook should have got us up for the game and nothing other than a win ..... He looks lost to me ..... has not changed with the 6 again rule ....

Maddragon99

Juniors
Pretty sure our season's already gone, but no doubt Souths will still put 50 on us anyway.
Vaughan-Gate happened under Hook’s watch but our steady decline in form happened well before then anyway.

I’ve gone from being a big supporter of Hook to almost giving up on him now. I was hoping we’d finish off strong so Hook could be extended this year to avoid all the speculation about his future that’s now certain to happen next season.

We’ve obviously now missed out on Fitzgibbon so I honestly don’t know who an alternative would be?

This year has become an absolute disaster with far reaching repercussions.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I don't think Hook has lost the playing group, more so the playing group has lost each other. Seems to be a divide amongst them (which I didn't originally agree), especially since the BBQ affair.

There's a lot of psychological after effect that this little soiree has had on those that attended ie: guilt, being dragged through the media (almost criminal like), fined heavily, match suspension, stat decs, letting the team down etc. The same could be said for those that didn't ie: those that attended letting me (the player) down, stuffing up our season etc. And let's not forget the sacking of Vaughan, a popular member of the group (maybe not so with the hierarchy apparently).

A little bit of that divide came for all of us to see with Dufty v JP. Totally uncalled for, but given the circumstances I mentioned above, there's a lot of built up frustration amongst all our players.

Fortunately, some are moving on to 'greener" pastures and will become someone else's issue. For now, Hook has to try and unite the factions, heal wounds and maneuver through the quagmire of injures, suspensions and basic poor form. He still believes we can play finals footy this year, and good on him for throwing the positive vibe, however, words are cheap if not backed by action, especially from the players.

I feel there's still a lot of mud to be thrown before this ends.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I don't think Hook has lost the playing group, more so the playing group has lost each other. Seems to be a divide amongst them (which I didn't originally agree), especially since the BBQ affair.

There's a lot of psychological after effect that this little soiree has had on those that attended ie: guilt, being dragged through the media (almost criminal like), fined heavily, match suspension, stat decs, letting the team down etc. The same could be said for those that didn't ie: those that attended letting me (the player) down, stuffing up our season etc. And let's not forget the sacking of Vaughan, a popular member of the group (maybe not so with the hierarchy apparently).

A little bit of that divide came for all of us to see with Dufty v JP. Totally uncalled for, but given the circumstances I mentioned above, there's a lot of built up frustration amongst all our players.

Fortunately, some are moving on to 'greener" pastures and will become someone else's issue. For now, Hook has to try and unite the factions, heal wounds and maneuver through the quagmire of injures, suspensions and basic poor form. He still believes we can play finals footy this year, and good on him for throwing the positive vibe, however, words are cheap if not backed by action, especially from the players.

I think 2021 is over, in my opinion we’ll be lucky to win another game. But that’s not what’s worrying me. Given the player turnover & recruitment for 2022 I don’t see where the improvement comes from next year? Then we’ll be back on the coaching merry go round & back to square one.

Dragon David

First Grade

The full story of the Dragons of 2021 will be revealed in the final wash up. Someone will spill the beans I feel sure. Whether it is the BBQ affair or some other thing, our season from start to now just hasn't been good and of late it has worsened.

Hook will know, if he didn't already know, how difficult coaching at the Dragons is. Take Paul McGregor for instance (only kidding). We basically all knew that there was not going to be a quick fix to turn us completely around. Player quality has been a big problem with this club for such a long time. Recruitment of better players has not been successful eg., Christian Welch, Dale Finucane and others for example.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
One thing I've seen a lot of over the past few years - and was sadly there en masse yesterday - is this propensity to put the ball through the hands with each subsequent player running on more and more of an angle until the last player is pretty much running sideways. I don't know how to describe it any better but it's almost like one of those fold out fans.

It is as though we are waiting for a direct runner (second row or centre) to straighten it all up but they never come. It's just so easy to defend but it seems to be the Dragon's signature move.

Then to make matters worse, once we get in the red zone there's nothing but straight runners.

Very frustrating.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think 2021 is over, in my opinion we’ll be lucky to win another game. But that’s not what’s worrying me. Given the player turnover & recruitment for 2022 I don’t see where the improvement comes from next year? Then we’ll be back on the coaching merry go round & back to square one.

Tend to agree with your first 2 points. However, the turnover had to happen, the 'vocals' of our playing group will be missed in part, but, there influence won't. Therefore, I think we will see a far more 'settled' squad next year. Agree, a couple of those who I thought would have known better, have disappointed in their leadership roles. Hopefully, with the influencers moving on (and not all are mind you), their heads may get pulled in somewhat.
This is where the improvement will come from, the fact that we have players with natural talent, ready to burst onto the scene (including a couple we haven't seen in 1st grade yet), some pure leadership from our leadership group and a more happy squad. Our recruitment, whilst looking pale in comparison to a few other teams, has been selective. Molo and Sua are very good acquisitions, and whilst I'm not sure about Burgess, he's only on an incentive based contract. Some gates haven't opened in the player market as yet, and it is prudent to have something in reserve just in case.

At this stage, I can't see Hook being moved on, but, I will reserve judgement until about this point next season.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
The full story of the Dragons of 2021 will be revealed in the final wash up. Someone will spill the beans I feel sure. Whether it is the BBQ affair or some other thing, our season from start to now just hasn't been good and of late it has worsened.

Hook will know, if he didn't already know, how difficult coaching at the Dragons is. Take Paul McGregor for instance (only kidding). We basically all knew that there was not going to be a quick fix to turn us completely around. Player quality has been a big problem with this club for such a long time. Recruitment of better players has not been successful eg., Christian Welch, Dale Finucane and others for example.

Oh well, c'est la vie.
Well if your correct DD in a way it sounds like what Gould was possibly alluding at.

BLM01

First Grade
Have you ever noticed that you constantly defend Hook because he is a better coach than Paul McGregor?
Perhaps you should compare him to other coaches in the NRL as well.
Is he doing as good a job as other clubs coaches regarding recruitment, technical aspects, game plans, defence and attack.
And most importantly is he building a culture that galvanises the team. A team the fans can be proud of. How would you rate the team culture right now?
Being a better coach than Paul McGregor doesn’t make him a good coach.
Yes
Tell me who Cowboys Tigers Newcastle Titans Warriors Canberra who are all currently behind us on the ladder
Have recruited better than for next year? ..
I’ll concede Dogs and maybe Brisbane with Reynolds snd Capewell
So compared to 6-7 other coaches he is better thus year and overall had well over 50% success rate

Crush

Coach
Yes
Tell me who Cowboys Tigers Newcastle Titans Warriors Canberra who are all currently behind us on the ladder
So compared to 6-7 other coaches he is better thus year and overall had well over 50% success rate
The scary thing is the only team at the moment that has a more lacklustre attack than ours is the Bulldogs. Broncos show way more attack than us! As do all the other teams that you mentioned.
Our defence is better than Dogs, Broncos, Tigers.
It’s just my opinion based on watching every game and not based on stats but we have the second worst attack in the comp and about the 4th-6th worse defence.

So going back to recruitment, I bloody hope we are recruiting better than all 15 other teams because god knows we need to!!!!!!

thebigredv

First Grade
Yes
I think some of the teams mentioned here have more reason to be hopeful than us. That's just my opinion.

Titans have a better team than us on the back of their excellent recruitment over last couple years - Brimson, Tino, Fifita, Fotuaika. Stunning. It's about time for them.

Knights similarly though they still have pieces missing,. Already jagged Gagai. Any team with Ponga has options.

Raiders have a superior team at full strength to us though their window is closing now.

In power rankings we are currently down there with Warriors, Cowboys and the hapless Tigers. And yes we will all be told to accept that it's a rebuild year again in 22.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
We are 8th
Close the door behind you
I m staying to support

f**k off merkin. I’ve done more to support this club than you ever have. I believe in the rebuild Hook is performing and I trust what Webb is doing in the head office, but the utter shitmerkin effort on Sunday is a slap in the face of every supporter of this club.

After what they did at that stupid BBQ, the least they could do as a team is get out there and have a dig. The only thing they’ve dug is the hole for our season before jumping in and burying any chance of a top 8 berth.

So before you get all f**king high and mighty, have a think about the disrespect they’ve shown our club and the rubbish they’re dishing up. I’ll wait for Hook to thrash these pricks in the off season before returning to see their redeemed efforts.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I think some of the teams mentioned here have more reason to be hopeful than us. That's just my opinion.

Titans have a better team than us on the back of their excellent recruitment over last couple years - Brimson, Tino, Fifita, Fotuaika. Stunning. It's about time for them.

Knights similarly though they still have pieces missing,. Already jagged Gagai. Any team with Ponga has options.

Raiders have a superior team at full strength to us though their window is closing now.

In power rankings we are currently down there with Warriors, Cowboys and the hapless Tigers. And yes we will all be told to accept that it's a rebuild year again in 22.
An abysmal performance- selection blunders (Ramsey in the centres???), one out running with the support about 5 metres behind (as usual), no second phase play as a result. It was grown men against boys in terms of physical strength- he's not fashionable but the only forward who could hold his head up after that effort was Blake Lawrie- at least he ran hard and threw his body into the tackle unlike his arm grabber team mates. I thought Fainai showed some good signs as well- probably with his bigger body should have swapped positions with Ramsey.